Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Hi all! New to this forum. Just got word that I will be going to Iceland on a Full grant, so I am quite excited!

I had a question for the ladies of the forum. Did you have your GYN send your last Pelvic/Pap exam results to your General Practitioner to fill out the form? Or did you make a special GYN appointment for Fulbright? I was just wondering because it usually takes 2-3 weeks for me to get a GYN appointment, and I don't want to send my forms back to IIE late. However, I don't want the medical clearance forms to get sent back to me if they are expecting a new exam for medical clearance. Any info/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Because I don't have medical insurance and therefore no primary care doctor assigned, I just made an appointment with a gyn to have all of this done at their office. Usually specialty doctors can still do physicals and blood tests. I think they're gonna send me to a lab for the PPD.

But I'm pretty sure as long as the test results are there and someone with the title Dr. in their name signs it, it's fine. A nurse could be doing all the work and it still needs to be the doctor that signs it.

Really? wow that's cheap. my first bill was for $40, but that was just for the visit. My bill for the lab tests is over $400, and then add on top of that the taxi to the Dr's on my lunch break and the courier service to drop off the papers...ugh I hate health insurance, I think I'm better off without it.

That's pretty expensive for just lab tests. Did you get more than just the required pap and bloodwork?

Hi all! New to this forum. Just got word that I will be going to Iceland on a Full grant, so I am quite excited!

I had a question for the ladies of the forum. Did you have your GYN send your last Pelvic/Pap exam results to your General Practitioner to fill out the form? Or did you make a special GYN appointment for Fulbright? I was just wondering because it usually takes 2-3 weeks for me to get a GYN appointment, and I don't want to send my forms back to IIE late. However, I don't want the medical clearance forms to get sent back to me if they are expecting a new exam for medical clearance. Any info/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hmmm... I'm not sure about this. I do know that the guidelines for pap smears have changed to every other year, rather than every year, as a general standard. I go to the Women's Health Clinic on campus, so the results of my last pap smear were probably already in the system when the doctor was looking at the stuff for the Fulbright form. I definitely didn't have a GYN exam just for this though.

Anyone know how long it takes to hear if your medical clearance was accepted/approved/whatever the appropriate language is?

That's pretty expensive for just lab tests. Did you get more than just the required pap and bloodwork?

Nope. I didn't even get the pap, just lab work. Apparently only 2 of the tests are considered preventative and because of that, my insurance won't pay. where is the dislike button on that shiz?!

Nope. I didn't even get the pap, just lab work. Apparently only 2 of the tests are considered preventative and because of that, my insurance won't pay. where is the dislike button on that shiz?!

Oh and this is on top of the $500 for just the office visit, which thank god was covered. I guess it costs $1000 to go to the Dr. I should write to Obama haha.

Hmmm... I'm not sure about this. I do know that the guidelines for pap smears have changed to every other year, rather than every year, as a general standard. I go to the Women's Health Clinic on campus, so the results of my last pap smear were probably already in the system when the doctor was looking at the stuff for the Fulbright form. I definitely didn't have a GYN exam just for this though.

Anyone know how long it takes to hear if your medical clearance was accepted/approved/whatever the appropriate language is?

Three weeks

Oh and this is on top of the $500 for just the office visit, which thank god was covered. I guess it costs $1000 to go to the Dr. I should write to Obama haha.

Was this in San Francisco, as your left side stats say? If so, I'm never moving there. lol That is outrageous. Mine already quoted me on a $180 office visit, which includes all the services I need. The lab results will be a separate fee. I'm worried about the prices for that, but I'm pretty confident it won't be anywhere near as high as yours. At least hope. Otherwise, I'm gonna be eating peanut butter and jelly until/if I go to Russia.

Edited by studentb2011

Was this in San Francisco, as your left side stats say? If so, I'm never moving there. lol That is outrageous. They already quoted me on a $180 office visit, which includes all the services I need. The lab results will be a separate fee. I'm worried about the prices for that, but I'm pretty confident it won't be anywhere near as high as yours. At least hope. Otherwise, I'm gonna be eating peanut butter and jelly until/if I go to Russia.

Oh yes this is in SF. and this is an in-network doctor, and I pay extra on top of what my employer pays to have the better insurance! phew. ok. rant over!

I'll take you up on that offer! I got my notification today.

ACCEPTED!!! ETA in Taiwan.

Current Address

Postmark: 4/21

Received: 4/26 (in NC)

Large manilla

恭喜 (gong1xi3)! Did you apply for the CLEA? I kinda wish we had more Taiwaners on the board so we could start a FB group or something as well, ha! See you soon, yeah? :)

does anyone know anything about the process of applying to begin your research on a different schedule than the country's academic calendar? I am affiliated with an NGO, not a University, and I want to start as soon as I can after orientation. I'm hoping this won't be a difficult application process, since I can give valid reasons for my desire to use different research dates.... Feedback or experience in this area would be appreciated.

Thanks, same to you!

I did apply for the CLEA but I haven't heard anything about that yet. What about you?

I can't wait to meet you and the rest of the Taiwan folks in DC this summer biggrin.gif

恭喜 (gong1xi3)! Did you apply for the CLEA? I kinda wish we had more Taiwaners on the board so we could start a FB group or something as well, ha! See you soon, yeah? :)

Ok Vietnam people. My FPA called apparently and the letters are for sure out by end of this week, we should receive it at the very latest by next week.

Best news ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg now it is too close for comfort!! good luck! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

:o

My results came back a bit abnormal. I think most of it stems from nerves and gastritis, but I'm generally concerned moving forward.

While the doctor noted that it appears to be nothing serious. She did indicate that the results were weird. I wonder how Fulbright will approach the form?

:(

:o

My results came back a bit abnormal. I think most of it stems from nerves and gastritis, but I'm generally concerned moving forward.

While the doctor noted that it appears to be nothing serious. She did indicate that the results were weird. I wonder how Fulbright will approach the form?

:(

if you feel like sharing (you don't have to), what was weird about the results? Maybe the bloodwork was done improperly? Hmm ...

The results stated that I had a low WBC along with low iron. The iron is explained due to issues regarding gastritis, but I thought I'd nipped it in the bud awhile ago. Guess I need to follow up on that now.

The WBC could be due to a variety of factors, with stressing out about school being at the fore. I don't think it's anything to be worried about neither.

She also said there was something weird with my liver. But that's the first I've ever heard anything about it.

This was the first time I'd ever visited this doctor, as I usually am attended to by my family physician in Mississippi. I'm as healthy as a horse...I don't remember the last time I had even a cold.

Argh! Why would these abnormalities show up now!? :rolleyes:

I guess this is a dumb question, but would they email us if something was wrong with our form? I'm just overly anxious, because the General practitioner that I saw mixed up the abnormal and normal columns and used a ton of white out...and I'm worried that they'll think that the form is inaccurate or something and revoke my grant.

If that is the case, it's hard to say...I don't think it would be as big a problem if your GP initialed or made some kind of note about the error. (When the murse misread my lab result and then crossed it out, I told her to please initial next to it.) It is also highly plausible that it won't matter at all, especially since they did not cite any special criteria about making corrections on the original form, i.e. use only blue ink, or no white out, or obvious corrections. I don't yet know how they handle denying medical clearance, but it seems more likely that they would send you a new form and ask you to fill it out again, before they would revoke your grant. If you made a copy and have all the pertinent information, then it should only be at the worst an inconvenience.

Sorting through minutae... it never ends...does it? :blink:

Hope this helps!:)

The results stated that I had a low WBC along with low iron. The iron is explained due to issues regarding gastritis, but I thought I'd nipped it in the bud awhile ago. Guess I need to follow up on that now.

The WBC could be due to a variety of factors, with stressing out about school being at the fore. I don't think it's anything to be worried about neither.

She also said there was something weird with my liver. But that's the first I've ever heard anything about it.

This was the first time I'd ever visited this doctor, as I usually am attended to by my family physician in Mississippi. I'm as healthy as a horse...I don't remember the last time I had even a cold.

Argh! Why would these abnormalities show up now!? :rolleyes:

Damis, I think you will be fine. If you have slight abnormalities either higher or lower it may be a concern to you (and of course you should follow up before you leave), but considering you will be going to Germany, you will not have to worry about adequate health care. Particularly if your physician gave you an overall satisfactory evaluation at the end of the form. I hope you can handle the anxious wait for clearance. Wish you the best!

Damis, I think you will be fine. If you have slight abnormalities either higher or lower it may be a concern to you (and of course you should follow up before you leave), but considering you will be going to Germany, you will not have to worry about adequate health care. Particularly if your physician gave you an overall satisfactory evaluation at the end of the form. I hope you can handle the anxious wait for clearance. Wish you the best!

I also agree with this. Considering the doctor I saw at our student health center (aka "student death" to many students) didn't give a cholesterol value, I think they just want to see we won't keel over once we arrive the country. So yes, I think the general comments whether we are "fit" to do our research/teach are mostly what they are looking at!

Damis, have you mailed in your stuff yet? Or you're about to?

Hey all,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. My mind is now at ease.

Julian, my forms were in the hands of my doctor. She was supposed to have sent them last week, but didn't because she wanted to get in contact with me first. I'm hoping she sent them yesterday.

I've also found out that I've been placed in Hessen somewhere. Which is sort of a bummer because I've been in that area so much already! Oh well. I'm still excited! :lol:

Does anyone know when ETAs are notified of their placement within the country?

If any past ETAers could recount how the process when after they received notification of the award, I would be extremely thankful. Basically, when do we find out what the living arrangements are (on your own, with a family---and can we choose?), where were will be teaching, when we have to begin, etc. I realize this can differ dramatically by country and region, but I would really appreciate just a general anecdote about how it goes down from here.

Many thanks!