Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Turkey eta applicant here. I feel like I've been pretty patient but it has reached the point where I am getting worried.

Hi there, I'm also a Turkey ETA applicant. I e-mailed with Rachel Holskin early last week and she said that "hopefully" the letters will go out "within the next two weeks." Frankly, after this long of a wait, I don't even know what words like "hopefully" mean. I'm trying to stay positive and not obsess about when the mail will come every day, but it is really hard. I feel like I had a ton of patience up to June 1st, and now...I don't have the same kind of patience. But, who knows, maybe the letters will come sometime this week! Good luck on getting through the rest of the wait!

Turkey folks: the last I heard was an email from Rachel saying something to the effect of "Thank you for your patience, we know the wait has been stressful. The Turkey commission was preparing to sign a contract last week, and with that we hope to notify in the next one to two weeks." I don't know if that was a mass email or a reply to one of my requests for an update, so I thought I'd share.

Yes, I think "past the point of ridiculous" is the perfect way to describe the wait right now. I never would have imagined the second week of June, and it could be even later. God help the alternates among us, who I suppose given how late everything is now won't know for certain until July. I'm striving to be understanding, but this has become very taxing.

Turkey folks: the last I heard was an email from Rachel saying something to the effect of "Thank you for your patience, we know the wait has been stressful. The Turkey commission was preparing to sign a contract last week, and with that we hope to notify in the next one to two weeks." I don't know if that was a mass email or a reply to one of my requests for an update, so I thought I'd share.

Yes, I think "past the point of ridiculous" is the perfect way to describe the wait right now. I never would have imagined the second week of June, and it could be even later. God help the alternates among us, who I suppose given how late everything is now won't know for certain until July. I'm striving to be understanding, but this has become very taxing.

Another freaking-out Turkey ETA here. I really can't imagine why it is taking so long...about alternates though: I'm sure some Turkey applicants, because of the late absurdly notification date, have had to commit to other programs/fellowships, and that many alternates and rejects will pretty quickly get accepted. Luckily, my program has said I can defer for a year, but even with that guarantee it's tempting to just throw up my hands, give up and move on with my summer/life.

Another freaking-out Turkey ETA here. I really can't imagine why it is taking so long...about alternates though: I'm sure some Turkey applicants, because of the late absurdly notification date, have had to commit to other programs/fellowships, and that many alternates and rejects will pretty quickly get accepted. Luckily, my program has said I can defer for a year, but even with that guarantee it's tempting to just throw up my hands, give up and move on with my summer/life.

Yeah....I am starting to worry that the program is falling through or something. :(

Hi all,

Two questions for you...

1. Did anyone in either ETA or Full get approved for Turkey?

2. Did anyone apply for/ get selected for the mtvU Fulbright?

I was named an alternate for an mtvU Fulbright in Turkey and wondering if it has anything at all to do with the programatic troubles that seem to be going down.

peas.

shug

Yeah....I am starting to worry that the program is falling through or something. :(

Hey everyone,

I am one of the Turkey ETAs from 2010 - 2011. First off, I am really sorry you all are waiting still. It's ridiculous! You all should hear really soon. Basically my understanding of the hold up is as follows: the 20ish selected universities all need to sign new contracts individually with Fulbright, the Embassy and YOK (the Turkish Ministry of Education) and they won't send out letters until all the universities sign as well as YOK. My year had wide spread problems, largly with payment last year because YOK did not end up providing funding for the program, consequently they are trying to renegotiate things so you all get properly paid (and aren't treated totally like Turkish employees when it comes to breaks and other things). Fulbright in Turkey is highly disorganized and not for the faint hearted. That said, even with all the problems the experience was life changing and wonderful (in large part because of the tenacity and brilliance of the other ETAs). Chances are very high that most, if not all, finalists will get the grant. Turkey (as in YOK) theoretically desperately wants to expand the program. Just be ready for a lot of chaos particularly with institutional bureaucracy and Turkish Fulbright itself! There is some good news though. You all are getting a pretty ridiculous housing stipend given the cost of living in Turkey (which we never got). PM me if you have an questions about the grant. And again hang tight; I bet you all hear good news soon.

iyi ÅŸanslar

Hi all,

Two questions for you...

1. Did anyone in either ETA or Full get approved for Turkey?

2. Did anyone apply for/ get selected for the mtvU Fulbright?

I was named an alternate for an mtvU Fulbright in Turkey and wondering if it has anything at all to do with the programatic troubles that seem to be going down.

peas.

shug

Thanks so much for the info! This wait is horrible. I already received my mail today--no notification. Hoping for later this week!

Hey everyone,

I am one of the Turkey ETAs from 2010 - 2011. First off, I am really sorry you all are waiting still. It's ridiculous! You all should hear really soon. Basically my understanding of the hold up is as follows: the 20ish selected universities all need to sign new contracts individually with Fulbright, the Embassy and YOK (the Turkish Ministry of Education) and they won't send out letters until all the universities sign as well as YOK. My year had wide spread problems, largly with payment last year because YOK did not end up providing funding for the program, consequently they are trying to renegotiate things so you all get properly paid (and aren't treated totally like Turkish employees when it comes to breaks and other things). Fulbright in Turkey is highly disorganized and not for the faint hearted. That said, even with all the problems the experience was life changing and wonderful (in large part because of the tenacity and brilliance of the other ETAs). Chances are very high that most, if not all, finalists will get the grant. Turkey (as in YOK) theoretically desperately wants to expand the program. Just be ready for a lot of chaos particularly with institutional bureaucracy and Turkish Fulbright itself! There is some good news though. You all are getting a pretty ridiculous housing stipend given the cost of living in Turkey (which we never got). PM me if you have an questions about the grant. And again hang tight; I bet you all hear good news soon.

iyi ÅŸanslar

One of the Fulbright reps from my school got into touch with Rachel and she told him that they would be e-mailing us as soon as they find out. So, I suppose it will be coming in the e-mail first?

Thanks so much for the info! This wait is horrible. I already received my mail today--no notification. Hoping for later this week!

One of the Fulbright reps from my school got into touch with Rachel and she told him that they would be e-mailing us as soon as they find out. So, I suppose it will be coming in the e-mail first?

Yeah, I just heard the same. Hopefully this week we will find out.

I spoke with Rachel yesterday who told me that we would be notified by email by the end of this week. We have got to be the last country to hear....this is worse than Peace Corps waiting.

I spoke with Rachel yesterday who told me that we would be notified by email by the end of this week. We have got to be the last country to hear....this is worse than Peace Corps waiting.

That is incredibly good to hear. Not that it matters terribly, but did she happen to specify if that's by the end of the week as in Friday vs. Saturday?

That is incredibly good to hear. Not that it matters terribly, but did she happen to specify if that's by the end of the week as in Friday vs. Saturday?

Unfortunately, no such specification. In my mind I had decided Friday, but that is just me going crazy waiting to hear. Fingers crossed!

Hello,

I'm am new U.S. Student Fulbrighter for Egypt for 2011-2012. I wish I had known about this forum when I was applying, it would have helped a ton.

I am going to be in Helwan and Cairo researching Arabic Calligrapy and Typography for my Fulbright.

To all you Egypt Fulbrighters; do you know when we are supposed to arrive in Egypt?

By the way, I have never been so pumped for an orientation! See you there!

Thanks,

Munir

Unfortunately, no such specification. In my mind I had decided Friday, but that is just me going crazy waiting to hear. Fingers crossed!

Word. I'm refreshing my email on my phone every fifteen minutes either way, so I guess I'll find out as soon as possible. Good luck, all.

So I'm guessing no notifications today. Please, please come tomorrow.

Word. I'm refreshing my email on my phone every fifteen minutes either way, so I guess I'll find out as soon as possible. Good luck, all.

This wait has GOT to end soon. I don't know what it is to be relaxed anymore. And, if possible, knowing that the notification is coming by e-mail makes it worse. But, fingers crossed we hear tomorrow! Good luck to everyone waiting.