Congrats! Whats your project?

OMG!!! full grant to vietnam! YESSSSSS :D

annguyen89

current address

notification 4/30

postmark 4/26

large manila

annguyen89@gmail.com

half of the year in Ho Chi Minh City at University of Pharmacy and Medicine, the other half in Da Lat at University of Da Lat

Congrats! Whats your project?

Thank you!!

I'm comparing malaria and dengue fever activity/mosquito behavior in a hot humid lowland urban area (Ho Chi Minh City) to that of a cool semi-arid highland village (Da Lat). That's why I'm spending half the year at each host affiliation. Basically I interview people, take water samples (mosquitoes love to breed in dirty water), observe temperature/rainfall effect on mosquito breeding behavior, do DNA extractions to see what pathogens blood-fed mosquitoes are carrying, read papers, all that good stuff :D

Good luck to all vietnam-ers! I hope to see you all there (that would be beyond awesome)!!!

Thank you!!

I'm comparing malaria and dengue fever activity/mosquito behavior in a hot humid lowland urban area (Ho Chi Minh City) to that of a cool semi-arid highland village (Da Lat). That's why I'm spending half the year at each host affiliation. Basically I interview people, take water samples (mosquitoes love to breed in dirty water), observe temperature/rainfall effect on mosquito breeding behavior, do DNA extractions to see what pathogens blood-fed mosquitoes are carrying, read papers, all that good stuff :D

Good luck to all vietnam-ers! I hope to see you all there (that would be beyond awesome)!!!

That's a cool project, but oh my that sounds like a year of mosquito bites!

i closed my eyes, opened my mailbox, put my hand in, and have never been happier to feel a large manila envelope. FULL GRANT TO VIETNAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cant believe the wait is over.

congrats to everyone!!!!!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

i closed my eyes, opened my mailbox, put my hand in, and have never been happier to feel a large manila envelope. FULL GRANT TO VIETNAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My stupid university doesn't deliver mail on saturdays! I can not believe it! Congratulations!

omg congrats! thats awesome!

Has anyone heard about the ETAs in Italy?? I am so anxious!!

Hey! I am right there with you. But good news is, I e-mailed our contact (Rachel) a few days ago, and she said they were aiming to send out our decisions by the end of that week, meaning by yesterday. So... we could be hearing back any day now! FINALLY. Good luck!!!

Any Fulbright-Fogarty folks out there receive a final decision yet? I'm waiting to hear about Malawi.

Heya, I'm waiting for Fulbright-Fogarty too (Botswana). I emailed Jermaine Jones last week and he said that our letters were definitely separate from the rest of those sent out for Sub-Saharan Africa and that he wasn't sure when they would go out, but hopefully before the end of April. I was kind hoping to find out about it before my current graduating class starts clinical rotations next week, but that's not happening so I guess I'll end up with a bit of a split up schedule in the event that I do get the fellowship. That's okay though! At least my school is being flexible with me!

Edited by mbv

So this may have already been covered at some point but does anyone have an idea how ETA placement works? Do you have to wait for medical clearance before they let you know what city you'll be placed in? I'm sure it varies a bit by country but can anyone who has already gotten their placement give me a general timeline of how long it took them to get back to you?

Edited by LittleBird

So this may have already been covered at some point but does anyone have an idea how ETA placement works? Do you have to wait for medical clearance before they let you know what city you'll be placed in? I'm sore it varies a bit by country but can anyone who has already gotten their placement give me a general timeline of how long it took them to get back to you?

I would also like to know. I'm sitting on pins and needles.

Does anyone know how much additional money became available last year? I'm still baffled that they can even say that additional funds will become available when the government is so messed up economically.

Turkey people, I am a current ETA in Turkey, and we found out May 16th last year. That was because there was last minute funding (10 are American funded and the other 43 are Turkish funded.) Back in January, I know there had been a series of meetings to decide whether or not the program would expand or contract (there were MASSIVE problems this year--but many have been sorted out so don't worry). It will be largely Turk funded last I heard, but its hard to believe anything they say. Hopefully you'll hear soon, if I hear anything I'll be sure to post information!

Thank you, AlHal!

I last heard from Rachel on April 26th, and at that time they hadn't received anything from Turkey. That makes it seem pretty likely we won't hear much before the same time as last year, unless of course the folks in Turkey send their decisions in the next couple days. Here's to hoping!

TheIowan

For anyone wondering about visas and plane tickets:

You will receive more information shortly regarding issues such as the visa application procedures and travel policies, but don’t buy any tickets yet. That’s something to take care of once your visa has been approved.

Regards,

Jonathan

This from Jermaine Jones today:

All I can say is that I hope to have the hard copy notification letters for you and the other candidates recommended for the West Bank in the mail later this week.

Many thanks for your patience so far.

Regards,

Jermaine

Aaaaah! Anyone else applied to the West Bank?