Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Hey all, I am a finalist for a Full Grant in Spain. My research proposal involves synthetic organic chemistry and cellular molecular biology. Anyone else a finalist for Spain / does anyone know how many finalists there are?

Typically the number of finalists is roughly 1.5-2x the number of available spaces. so like my progra has 3 spaces available, so there are probably 5-6 finalist in total.

Also Thanks to crimsonengineer87 for posting the spreadsheet! And thank you to the enterprising fulbright applicant from last year that made it!

Any other UK finalists out there who received an interview request? Are there other countries who conduct telephone interviews? I have no idea what to expect from the interview...

Congrats on getting an interview! When did you get the interview request?

If you've advanced to Finalist status, then it is because you are a strong candidate for the Grant. I don't think there is a set list of criteria which make up a "good" application-- this goes for Research and ETA applications alike. Fulbright cares a LOT less about your GPA than they do about the following:

1) Whether you are likely to be able to stay for the entire Fulbright term.

2) How you plan to make the greatest "impact" on the place you've selected. This one is HUGE... applications that show a practical plan for local engagement are much more likely to get admitted.... remember that Fulbright is essentially designed to foster intercultural dialogue and soft diplomacy. If your application discusses how you will impact the community beyond the classroom, you're golden.

3) The extent to which you demonstrate a basic knowledge of the host culture, your role as a Fulbright Scholar, and have developed a "plan" for once you arrive. (Basically, they want to see that you have given this some thought, and that you are taking the lead in your own Fulbright period, how you will spend your time there, etc)

4) The extent to which the Fulbright Grant will serve a larger purpose beyond that single year of ETA/Research. So, if you describe how getting this funding will improve your professional goals or the goals of the institution you will work with.... this one is about "fit." Fulbright prefers to give grants to candidates who will be able to use the experience they gain even after the one year grant term.

There are so many more of these, but I think this covers the major bases. It all boils down to one thing: Fulbright IIE is a granting organization; they give money out each year... their task is to select the best "investments" and thus get the most bang for their buck. I am a firm believer that IIE decisions have less to do with one's proposed topic (for us Research slouches) than with how we demonstrate our ability to reap the gains of this intellectual diplomacy. Sure, in competitions with more applicants (the UK, for example) or where political sensitivities could pose a problem (the Middle East, perhaps?) our research topics are more likely to be examined closely... but I think initial cuts are more about fitting in with the IIE mission--- to foster as much cultural exchange and international intellectual engagement as Fulbright's limited funding allows.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your input as it was reassuring. I guess all there is left now is to wait! By the way, anyone else a finalist for South Korea?

Also, does anyone know if we can request our "ranking" from the american selection committee?

I know (from prior experience) that one cannot request feedback regarding the acceptance process. Some grants allow you to request reviewer's comments or rankings (Fulbright Hays DDRA does this I believe), but the Fulbright IIE Program actually has a policy against such feedback. I asked one of the regional reps why this was, and he told me that it is simply the volume of applications that Fulbright IIE gets eack year. Providing details on acceptances/rejections would just add too much to the already cumbersome process, I guess.

Hey guys, first time post here. I've applied for the full grant to Spain to research on medieval history in Barcelona, but I haven't received the email at all. I have the older emails saying my application was completed, but I haven't gotten the latest one, which apparently went out over a week ago. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

I've checked the spam folders quarantine lists, and haven't come up with anything. What address sent you guys the email?

Hey guys, first time post here. I've applied for the full grant to Spain to research on medieval history in Barcelona, but I haven't received the email at all. I have the older emails saying my application was completed, but I haven't gotten the latest one, which apparently went out over a week ago. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

I've checked the spam folders quarantine lists, and haven't come up with anything. What address sent you guys the email?

I got my e-mail from: "Fulbright U.S. Student Program" <messages@notification.embark.com>

If I were you, and I would e-mail your adviser first, and if you get no info, e-mail whomever is in charge of your region. I think you should have been contacted by now.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

April is really far away and I've been thinking about the Fulbright way too much. I'm going to try to not think about it for a while. Is there a spreadsheet where should I post my information before I give this thread a break for a month or so?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get any feedback on a rejected application? Where can I find information on the US selection committee or the regional director?

[/quote

I don't think you can get feedback on your application, as someone else noted that it would be too cumbersome to give everyone feedback but you can google the committee and the regional directors and find out who they are.

Rejected applicants shouldn't ask for feedback as 1) it seems really annoying, and the regional director will not only deny your request but roll her eyes while replying to your request. 2) take time away from those of us who are finalists waiting to hear back. If you didn't get it, ask your school. The person in charge of overseeing Fulbright grants might be able to let you see your interviewers' evaluations, even though that's still doubtful.

Edited by cavalier08

Hey, I just found out that I was recommended for an ETA to Macau and I'm wondering if anyone else out there is in the same boat as am, as well as when I'll hear about whether I got it, am an alternate, or got rejected. From last year's spread sheet it looks like it was late April when people were finally notified? Gosh, how torturous! I'm hoping it's earlier this year...

I can't recall who was keeping track of everyone who has applied to different countries and what not ... maybe if I have time I can update that list ... which really isn't a list ... more like a compilation on here ... but we'll see where I can find this 'extra time' in my day.

Hey, so not many people have talked about this, but what is the general/average stipend Fulbright scholars receive? I am sick of hearing "enough to let you get by" and would like some actual numbers from different countries. I am a finalist for Spain, so if anyone has the numbers for this country, please share!

Thank you!

Hey, so not many people have talked about this, but what is the general/average stipend Fulbright scholars receive? I am sick of hearing "enough to let you get by" and would like some actual numbers from different countries. I am a finalist for Spain, so if anyone has the numbers for this country, please share!

Thank you!

I need to look this up again. But I found something 750-850 Euro? I'm thinking 750 .... I heard it's the same as the DAAD Grant ... I need to find that website again though ... it's most def "not very much" so it's basically like being a poor grad student, except in Europe. So it looks like bread and butter for all meals! Haha.

I can't recall who was keeping track of everyone who has applied to different countries and what not ... maybe if I have time I can update that list ... which really isn't a list ... more like a compilation on here ... but we'll see where I can find this 'extra time' in my day.

Why don't we each fill out our information on a new spreadsheet modeled after last year's so you don't need to take on the lion's share of the work going through past posts?

Why don't we each fill out our information on a new spreadsheet modeled after last year's so you don't need to take on the lion's share of the work going through past posts?

Oh, I was going to do that for the final decisions. I think I was talking about just a list of who has applied thus far and where they applied ... but I realize those are essentially the same thing! Thanks! I'll do that!