Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Anyone who's moving on this round got rejected last time? Any words of advice to share?

I'm applying for the second time.... was a finalist for Egypt last year and then found out in late Summer that I was not accepted. I reapplied for Syria this year.

I also had a friend apply two years in a row (China) and he got it the second time around.

Fulbright IIE looks very favorably on reapplication... and since the proposal is so brief, why not try again next year? :)

What I did--- brushed up my resume, reworked my Statement of Purpose, and pursued affiliations. The latter are so instrumental... they really can make all the difference in the world. And if you start now, you have 7-8 months to figure out how to get some highly placed research contacts.

I also undertook some work experience stuff that helps my resume from a practical angle (e.g. went to Syria working for a Summer Ed Program). Having this prior in-country experience is also helpful, I think.

Think it over... there has to be something out there you can do in the meantime to add to your resume's practical appeal! If I were you, I'd assume that the reason you did not get passed forward has less to do with your research topic than these other aspects. Some of you all might disagree, but I really am convinced that most of our topics are absolutely sexy from a research standpoint (and all of our recommenders attest to that, right?) What makes or breaks an application are other supplementals... demonstrating the comprehensive nature of one's candidacy. In short-- the more that each of your ecudational/professional trajectories point to this one project, the better.

Brushing up the research section of your proposal definitely can't hurt, but if you add some sort of relevant work experience (or internship, or language training) it shows a determination that the Fulbright Commission just loves.

Good luck in reapplication!

I'm applying for the second time.... was a finalist for Egypt last year and then found out in late Summer that I was not accepted. I reapplied for Syria this year.

I also had a friend apply two years in a row (China) and he got it the second time around.

Fulbright IIE looks very favorably on reapplication... and since the proposal is so brief, why not try again next year? :)

What I did--- brushed up my resume, reworked my Statement of Purpose, and pursued affiliations. The latter are so instrumental... they really can make all the difference in the world. And if you start now, you have 7-8 months to figure out how to get some highly placed research contacts.

I also undertook some work experience stuff that helps my resume from a practical angle (e.g. went to Syria working for a Summer Ed Program). Having this prior in-country experience is also helpful, I think.

Think it over... there has to be something out there you can do in the meantime to add to your resume's practical appeal! If I were you, I'd assume that the reason you did not get passed forward has less to do with your research topic than these other aspects. Some of you all might disagree, but I really am convinced that most of our topics are absolutely sexy from a research standpoint (and all of our recommenders attest to that, right?) What makes or breaks an application are other supplementals... demonstrating the comprehensive nature of one's candidacy. In short-- the more that each of your ecudational/professional trajectories point to this one project, the better.

Brushing up the research section of your proposal definitely can't hurt, but if you add some sort of relevant work experience (or internship, or language training) it shows a determination that the Fulbright Commission just loves.

Good luck in reapplication!

Nescafe, I also think your points apply to other fellowships and types of funding as well. For the most part, most graduate students will know their research topic. But I've heard time and time again that these funding agencies "fund the researcher" and the ability of that person to conduct and carry out successful research. The Fulbright also falls under this, I think. Although the topic may be important and of course, relevant, I think it is the way the individual is portrayed through supplemental materials (as you mentioned) via LOR, personal statement, and others. In addition, I think the ability to clearly state your goals, aspirations, and who you are a person (i.e. how well you write) can make or break you.

OH EM GEEE!!!

I received an email from the university program that my Fulbright scholarship will pay for yesterday saying that I had to put down a humungous deposit in order to reserve my place in the program for the fall intake. I don't have that kind of money... So naturally I freaked out and called everyone I could think to call. I received an email back from the school today saying that they were told that the Fulbright Comittee would be meeting NEXT WEEK, and that I should hear in the next couple of weeks!!!!

OH EM GEEE!!!

I received an email from the university program that my Fulbright scholarship will pay for yesterday saying that I had to put down a humungous deposit in order to reserve my place in the program for the fall intake. I don't have that kind of money... So naturally I freaked out and called everyone I could think to call. I received an email back from the school today saying that they were told that the Fulbright Comittee would be meeting NEXT WEEK, and that I should hear in the next couple of weeks!!!!

What country did you apply for?

So does this mean we could hypothetically be hearing the final answer soon?

I'm also a Western Europe person.

April 23 was the date that candidates for Spain were notified last year. Maybe they are on top of it this year but, seeing how our transcripts are due in March, I don't see how they could process everything so soon.

Congrats to all those forwarded to the next round! You guys deserve it. : )

Does anyone know of fellowships/scholarships SIMILAR to the Fulbright, especially for opportunities in the UK? I'd like to explore more this following year, as the UK is so competitive. Thanks for your help!

April 23 was the date that candidates for Spain were notified last year. Maybe they are on top of it this year but, seeing how our transcripts are due in March, I don't see how they could process everything so soon.

Yes, but if you look on the Spain Fulbright MBA site, it says they're hoping to get the results out before April first. And also, keep in mind that I am applying for a specific program - the MBA program. Not the general research grant program. It is a much smaller program with only 3 available spaces. It could be that it runs on a different timeline then the regular grant. I would have agreed with you on the whole transcripts thing, except that I got this email from the University in Spain - the horse's mouth so to speak. I mean, it doesn't mean anything really, just because they're meeting next week doesn't mean a decision will be reached. I just wanted to spread the latest that I'd heard. Each country and program is different though. So, really I suppose this would just be for the 4-5 other finalists out there for my specific program.

So I was notified a few days ago that I'm a finalist for a Fulbright in the UK--would be applying for a specialized university-specific grant. However, they notified about interviews on January 28th, and I didn't get one. Being the neurotic sort, I emailed Michael Scott-Kline and the International Advisor, asking if this meant my application was no longer under consideration. Apparently one can still be considered--Mr. Scott-Kline wrote back:

"Not to worry - several others have asked too. It simply means that the committee has sufficient info without requiring an interview, but the candidate is still in play. As you can imagine, we just can't interview all 600+!"

I can't imagine that they would lie to make me feel better if I was no longer a candidate, but does anyone have any input on whether this might be a good/bad/neutral sign? I was very thorough in my application and was sure to mention things about my detailed research project as well as details about myself as a "cultural ambassador," so it might be true that they didn't need more information and it was a positive thing.

Anyone hear of someone getting a grant sans interview?

Oh god, this info makes me feel a (possibly unhealthy) level of general relief. I haven't heard anything about an interview -- granted, I hadn't heard about this website until yesterday, either!

I'm a finalist for the UK (looking to do a project in 18th and 19th century British literature, and to study at either Queen Mary University of London or at University of Sussex). I applied for and was rejected from the Marshall Scholarship, and frankly I'm kind of surprised that I got forwarded for Fulbright when I didn't even make it into the interview round for Marshall -- so I keep thinking about that when I want to not get my hopes up!

Another reason I'm a little skeptical about my application is that I spent my junior year studying abroad in London, at the same university I put as my first choice for Fulbright (Queen Mary); they seemed to make a big deal about desiring applicants who'd had fewer study abroad opportunities. Has any other finalist already spent a significant amount of time studying in their (hopeful) host country?

Finally, does anyone know how it works if you apply for two universities for Fulbright, one that has a specific grant, the other that is under the general grants? There is a specific Sussex-Fulbright grant, but they are my second choice. If I get selected, is it more likely to be for the Sussex program, since they have a partnership with Fulbright?

As I was looking through last years thread I found a post that contained a copy of a first round rejection letter. One sentence pointed out that there were approximately 7,300 applicants for about 1,500 grants. I am curious to know if anyone has the numbers for this year's competition?

As I was looking through last years thread I found a post that contained a copy of a first round rejection letter. One sentence pointed out that there were approximately 7,300 applicants for about 1,500 grants. I am curious to know if anyone has the numbers for this year's competition?

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/thinking_competition.html

all the stats are here, by country, along with how many awards available for this year!

http://us.fulbrighto...ompetition.html

all the stats are here, by country, along with how many awards available for this year!

Thanks, JCandy, but i am aware of that page and it doesn't contain the info i am looking for. I guess i could go country by country and add up the numbers to see approximately how many grants are available this year but there still isn't any info on the total number of people who applied for 2011-2012. it's no big deal. i was just curious about how competitive the program was this year. maybe that figure hasn't been made public yet.

April feels like a really long time away. I hope I can handle being in limbo that long. Ugh.

April does feel pretty far off but i realized tomorrow will be exactly 4 weeks since we were notified of our finalist status. A whole month, a third of the way there. That went by pretty fast. At least I think so.

I would guess similar numbers? I think how the process goes is that they rank you, so you're either in or out from the very first round - everyone other step is just confirming that ranking. So, if you want to think about it, the decision's already been made! It sucks still having to wait. I think from that website there's 22 for this year? I'm actually more worried about getting into grad school in the first place. I haven't heard from any schools, so I'm kind of use to waiting. Good luck.

Thanks, JCandy, but i am aware of that page and it doesn't contain the info i am looking for. I guess i could go country by country and add up the numbers to see approximately how many grants are available this year but there still isn't any info on the total number of people who applied for 2011-2012. it's no big deal. i was just curious about how competitive the program was this year. maybe that figure hasn't been made public yet.

Hey everyone,

I was active on the board earlier but unfortunately had to suspend my application due to a job offer. Congratulations to everyone who has made it to the next round!

I was wondering if anyone on here is an At-Large applicant? If so, how was your application process? I'm thinking of applying next year (I've always wanted to participate in the Fulbright and had applying in the back of my mind throughout college), but since I graduated in May '10 I'm not sure if I would be too past my graduation date to work with my university's FPA. Quite honestly, I wonder if applying At-Large might even be better because those applicants do not undergo a campus interview. I know the merits of those interviews have been discussed previously, I'm just not sure if the stress I'm sure I'll feel prior to the hour of cross-examination is worth it ... Plus, perhaps an FPA at a more local school would have pity on me and glance over my materials to give suggestions. The FPA at my alma mater, while skilled, was quite stubborn and I often felt like our interaction wasn't much of a collaboration.

Any thoughts at all are appreciated. : ) Thanks to everyone on the board for sharing their ideas and guidance thus far!!

April feels like a really long time away. I hope I can handle being in limbo that long. Ugh.

Well...who knows? Many people last year heard in mid-March. And don't forget that the "finalist" emails this year went out much earlier than expected.