Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Hey guys, I was wondering what to do if the fulbright decision doesn't come before I have to make decisions on April 15. I'm an undergrad, and I got into a study abroad program but I have to let them know by April 15. Should I just say yes for now and retract it in the case that I do get Fulbright? I also accepted the CLS award, does anyone know of the penalty in the case that I have to reject it after the final acceptance date?

Also, yay Washington! I'm originally from Spokane but have been going to school in Chicago.

Spokane! So at least someone understands that Pullman (I go to WSU) is literally in the middle of wheatfields! But I grew up on the Westside near Seattle. Anyways, it's exciting you're applying for an ETA in Germany! We might just meet sometime next year! What school do you go to in Chicago?

If I were you, I would just say yes for now and then retract it if you do get the Fulbright. I'm in the same position, except it's a teacher exchange program that I've accepted. Hoping for the Fulbright though. Always need a plan b!

Hey guys, I was wondering what to do if the fulbright decision doesn't come before I have to make decisions on April 15. I'm an undergrad, and I got into a study abroad program but I have to let them know by April 15. Should I just say yes for now and retract it in the case that I do get Fulbright? I also accepted the CLS award, does anyone know of the penalty in the case that I have to reject it after the final acceptance date?

Yes, that's him. What are you planning on doing outside of the teaching hours?

Outside of teaching I am trying to join a Toast Masters Club, Rotary, volunteer at a hospital and take taekwondo classes wink.gif. I applied to an ETA Program in Korea that's why and I've been looking for ESL lesson plans online lol just in case I am a finalist tongue.gif

Here is the spreadsheet from last year again:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?key=taWW8xiKve1Tm6Ow6bHdhYA#gid=0

It looks like last year, Japan was the first East Asia & Pacific country to notify people, followed by Vietnam, which very strangely, notified some people on March 25th and some on March 30th. All of those notified were accepted. I wonder why there was a several day difference in notifying people when it was done via email.

Edited by readtowin

THANK YOU SO MUCH... almost no one has heard... which is good in a way since I haven't either... Good luck everyone!

Yea it is very true, last year a lot more people had already heard! At least I know the Norway letters have been sent so I will be frantically stalking my mailbox starting tomorrow, to say the least! haha Good luck to everyone this week I hope a lot of people find out!!

I'm not sure what the penalty would be, but you should verify with the State Department just in case... someone on the CLS thread said this:

"CLS and ETA conflict, so I'm worried that if I accept CLS and then get and decide to do Fulbright, I'll have to pay fort he entire cost of CLS. What are you going to do? "

and on the CLS website it says: "In addition, participants may not accept both the Fulbright Critical Language Enhancement Award, part of the Fulbright U.S. Student Program, and a CLS award in the same academic year. In addition, if participants receive a Fulbright grant with a mandatory pre-departure orientation in Washington, DC, he or she may need to choose between accepting the CLS Program award and the Fulbright grant."

Well I do have to say that last years Fulbright forum reached 54 pages in June and we are already at 53. I guess we are just a more active bunch

For the applicants to Iceland, I e-mailed Rachel this morning about when we might hear:

"We're hoping to get these letters out in the next 2 weeks."

It's so disappointing to hear 2 weeks. When she emailed me on the 17th she said 2 weeks. I was hoping to know my status by this Friday.

Thanks for getting in touch with her and sharing the info.

I'm not sure I can handle 2 more weeks!

It's so disappointing to hear 2 weeks. When she emailed me on the 17th she said 2 weeks. I was hoping to know my status by this Friday.

Thanks for getting in touch with her and sharing the info.

I'm a German ETA finalist as well...haven't heard anything yet! But going off of last year I think we will all know by the end of next week. This wait is THEE WORST!

Hello. Any German ETA or Austria ETA's heard of a notification date?

For those of you applying to a South American country, you might be interested to know that a friend of mine just found out that he got a full grant to Ecuador. So I guess that means that some countries in that area are starting to send out notifications.

If only the rest of the world would hurry up and do the same!

For those of you applying to a South American country, you might be interested to know that a friend of mine just found out that he got a full grant to Ecuador. So I guess that means that some countries in that area are starting to send out notifications.

If only the rest of the world would hurry up and do the same!

thanks for letting us know! Will s/he add the info to the sheet?