completely lost motivation for phd !!

sophian

Hi there,

I have completely lost motivation with my phd. i took a leave of 3 months and i thought that would re energize me but it hasnt.

So far I have finished 1 year. I also have bipolar so I have a motivation issue (symptom?) as my doctor says perhaps.

The only thing is im worried im going to regret it in the future. I kno I can reapply but I dont care that much anymore.

I dont even know what I can do with it with bipolar disorder. All the potential jobs seem very intense as they are usually

with a lot of responsibility.  My supervisor says im doing really well which is kind of surprising for me considering i lose focus easily

with my condition.

Im worried about career prospects. I just ideally would like to work part time one day due to my disability with a job that fulfills me.

Im not sure if I need a Phd for that. Because when I think about working a full time job, it would definietely not need a lot of responsibility

and low stress - if that makes sense!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

As someone who has pushed through the PhD with a lack of motivation, i think if you don't want to be a professor or have a job that requires a PhD, it's not worth it. Do what's best for you, which i think you already know what you're leaning towards. Don't get a PhD just to get a PhD. 

A PhD can be as demanding, if not more so at times, than a "normal" job, so it's not like doing one is escaping intensity. It sounds to me like you need to seek out more intense mental health treatment. I say that not to sound mean (there's nothing wrong with seeking out mental health help!), but because it sounds like right now, you're not in a super stable place emotionally. Spend some time focusing on getting yourself to a place of stability and then figure out what you want to do.

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2021 at 9:20 PM, sophian said:

Hi there,

I have completely lost motivation with my phd. i took a leave of 3 months and i thought that would re energize me but it hasnt.

So far I have finished 1 year. I also have bipolar so I have a motivation issue (symptom?) as my doctor says perhaps.

The only thing is im worried im going to regret it in the future. I kno I can reapply but I dont care that much anymore.

I dont even know what I can do with it with bipolar disorder. All the potential jobs seem very intense as they are usually

with a lot of responsibility.  My supervisor says im doing really well which is kind of surprising for me considering i lose focus easily

with my condition.

Im worried about career prospects. I just ideally would like to work part time one day due to my disability with a job that fulfills me.

Im not sure if I need a Phd for that. It was difficult for me to learn some moments, so I often used extra resources to complete all the tasks given to me on time. This helped me to study longer and do complex assignments but it is not enough. Because when I think about working a full time job, it would definietely not need a lot of responsibility

and low stress - if that makes sense!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

I think you should forget about phd for now, now it is not very relevant for you. It is better to devote time and energy to finding an interesting activity for yourself and deal with all your problems. Someday you may want to get a phd, but then you will be ready for it and put enough effort because you want it.
I wish you success no matter in which direction, the main thing is that you were satisfied! Good luck!

Edited by ykolp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Look into nonprofit work. With your training in social science you'll be a good fit and have skills that many are looking for. They won't pay well but they have flexible schedules and are fulfilling to work with (depending on the route you go-- most of the nonprofits I've worked with deal with food security and domestic violence).