pianoman2022

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Phd/DMA Composiiton here:)...It is so quite here this year...Do you think the current Covid-19 situation will affect the acceptance results? I applied also last year. Unfortuantely, some programs didn't accept anybody, and some of the programs that accepted applicants took 2 out 4...I hope this year is different.

Hi everybody!  I'm a music theory MA/PhD applicant.  Not quite the same as composition, but I'm also applying to UMich!  Where else are you all applying?  I've received interview invites from three schools so far: Eastman, Indiana, and Florida State. 

And yes, unfortunately I definitely think COVID will impact admissions, especially since several programs didn't accept new students last year (likely making the competition even more stiff this year).  

Thank you for starting this discussion! I've applied for a PhD in Musicology, and I've so far had some (extremely) early news from my two safety schools; an acceptance from the Catholic University of America and an interview from the University of Maryland. Obviously I am looking to matriculate into a program with a more consistent record of academic job placement, so we'll see how this goes. Best of luck to everyone this admissions cycle! 

Hey, everyone! I'm still trying to figure out how to use the various components of this platform (different logins for results and the forum? Am I doing this right?). Fellow musicology PhD applicant here! My research centers around popular music, vocality, gender and sexuality, and Black feminist theory. More specifically, I submitted portions of my MA thesis on Janelle Monáe and a conference paper on gender and sexual fluidity in Handel's Alcina as my writing samples.

I applied to UCLA, Eastman, UNC Chapel Hill, CUNY, UCSD, NYU, Harvard, Case Western, UChicago, and UVA. I just had my UCLA interview two days ago, and I'm gearing up for my interviews with UNC and UCSD tomorrow morning and Eastman next Friday. Did anyone else apply to these schools? Very much looking to chat with others going through this experience as well -- this interview stress is REAL!

6 hours ago, QueerTrumpeter said:

Hey, everyone! I'm still trying to figure out how to use the various components of this platform (different logins for results and the forum? Am I doing this right?). Fellow musicology PhD applicant here! My research centers around popular music, vocality, gender and sexuality, and Black feminist theory. More specifically, I submitted portions of my MA thesis on Janelle Monáe and a conference paper on gender and sexual fluidity in Handel's Alcina as my writing samples.

I applied to UCLA, Eastman, UNC Chapel Hill, CUNY, UCSD, NYU, Harvard, Case Western, UChicago, and UVA. I just had my UCLA interview two days ago, and I'm gearing up for my interviews with UNC and UCSD tomorrow morning and Eastman next Friday. Did anyone else apply to these schools? Very much looking to chat with others going through this experience as well -- this interview stress is REAL!

Hey there, congrats on the interviews! Your research interests sound fascinating as well.

Our applications overlap a bit — Eastman, UNC Chapel Hill, and Harvard. I'm intrigued by your UNC interview; I was accepted last admissions cycle (unfunded), and they did not do interview invites. I did have an informal call in early February with the DGA, who said that this was typical of their admissions process. Perhaps they've changed their policy this admissions cycle, but if so that speaks poorly for me as I've heard nothing from them this time around. I'm glad that you seem to be having better luck with them, and I hope that all of your interviews go well! 

Hiii, only discovered the forum section today. Dying while waiting. Sad that this year's page is not as active as last year's page, or perhaps it is better for our mental health. Anyway, applied for PhD programs in mostly ethnomusicology -- some general music/musicology programs where I wanted to work with someone specific. Wishing us all many emails on Tuesday that start with "congratulations." 

Edited by pennymarx

On 1/13/2022 at 3:18 PM, QueerTrumpeter said:

Your research sounds so cool!! All those interviews can only be a good thing. Looks like you are one of the top candidates this year, congrats! Excited to see which school you end up going to. Good luck!

On 1/13/2022 at 9:45 PM, BWV 211 said:

Hey there, congrats on the interviews! Your research interests sound fascinating as well.

Our applications overlap a bit — Eastman, UNC Chapel Hill, and Harvard. I'm intrigued by your UNC interview; I was accepted last admissions cycle (unfunded), and they did not do interview invites. I did have an informal call in early February with the DGA, who said that this was typical of their admissions process. Perhaps they've changed their policy this admissions cycle, but if so that speaks poorly for me as I've heard nothing from them this time around. I'm glad that you seem to be having better luck with them, and I hope that all of your interviews go well! 

Thank you! Yes, I believe that UNC has changed their policy, as the DGA told me he was conducting a number of interviews this past week. Weird that they didn't do interviews before! That said, I'm sure that this isn't necessarily an indicator of anything bad yet, especially since it's so early, and since many schools do interviews in waves and since you've been accepted before. I hope that you hear from them soon! Do you have an Eastman interview this week then? All my best for that interview!! It'll be interesting to see how the process continues to unfold.

20 hours ago, pennymarx said:

Your research sounds so cool!! All those interviews can only be a good thing. Looks like you are one of the top candidates this year, congrats! Excited to see which school you end up going to. Good luck!

Thank you for this! Which schools did you apply to for ethnomusicology vs. musicology? I'm curious because my work tends to blur the lines between ethnomusicology and musicology, but verges ever so slightly on the musicology "side" of things. I'm hoping to really incorporate a mixture of methodologies in my work at a PhD program! Hope that you are also surviving this wait!

On 1/13/2022 at 6:18 PM, QueerTrumpeter said:

Wow, your research interests sound absolutely fascinating!  Those are all great schools.  Congrats on the interviews!! 

I'm a music theory PhD applicant, but I also applied to Eastman, Harvard, and UChicago.  Have you heard anything from Harvard?  Based on results from previous years, it seems like Harvard typically sends out interview invites around this time every year for all of their music PhD programs, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.  I did see that someone got a composition interview invite yesterday, though.  

32 minutes ago, QueerTrumpeter said:

Thank you! Yes, I believe that UNC has changed their policy, as the DGA told me he was conducting a number of interviews this past week. Weird that they didn't do interviews before! That said, I'm sure that this isn't necessarily an indicator of anything bad yet, especially since it's so early, and since many schools do interviews in waves and since you've been accepted before. I hope that you hear from them soon! Do you have an Eastman interview this week then? All my best for that interview!! It'll be interesting to see how the process continues to unfold.

Thank you for the information as well as the kind words! We'll see about UNC. I would be a little surprised if I don't get at least a nod (especially as I was encouraged to reapply), but you never can tell with these things. But regardless, I'm glad that you landed an interview and I hope that you get an acceptance! (It's worth mentioning that UNC makes admissions decisions before they formulate their budget and as a result tend to admit more students than they can fund. At first I assumed that this was due to pandemic budget cuts, but colleagues have told me that it happens most admissions cycles. Just a word to the wise that even after admission you might need to wait out a decision on funding). 

I am interviewing with Eastman this week! I'm sure you already know this, but the musicology faculty are incredibly friendly and constructive. I think that we'll both have a good time chatting with them about their program and our research! 

1 hour ago, pianoman2022 said:

Wow, your research interests sound absolutely fascinating!  Those are all great schools.  Congrats on the interviews!! 

I'm a music theory PhD applicant, but I also applied to Eastman, Harvard, and UChicago.  Have you heard anything from Harvard?  Based on results from previous years, it seems like Harvard typically sends out interview invites around this time every year for all of their music PhD programs, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.  I did see that someone got a composition interview invite yesterday, though.  

I have not yet, no, but I saw that someone heard back about composition. I hadn't been expecting to hear anytime soon since those apps were just due less than two weeks ago, but it's great to hear that they typically send them out around this time! I'm high-key hoping to wake up tomorrow to some news, but I had forgotten that tomorrow is a day off for most schools! Have you heard anything from UChicago? That's one I'm hoping to hear from soon!

@QueerTrumpeterYeah, I expected the same for Harvard given its super recent deadline but it seems like historically they review applications very quickly.  Haha, I'd love to wake up to some news tomorrow, too!  I'm not sure if they send out decisions on MLK day or not, but I received an interview invite from Florida State on New Year's Eve, so it might be possible?  And nope, I haven't heard from UChicago yet.  Based on results from previous years, it looks like they don't do interviews and release decisions by late January/early February each year.

Edited by pianoman2022

7 hours ago, QueerTrumpeter said:

Thank you for this! Which schools did you apply to for ethnomusicology vs. musicology? I'm curious because my work tends to blur the lines between ethnomusicology and musicology, but verges ever so slightly on the musicology "side" of things. I'm hoping to really incorporate a mixture of methodologies in my work at a PhD program! Hope that you are also surviving this wait!

Oh, my pleasure! This waiting sucks and I'm sure all my friends are so tired of listening to me carry on and on and on about the process, so talking to a stranger on the internet might save my friendships! Interestingly, mine also blurs those lines but ultimately I decided that I prefer the approach of ethnomusicologists. For me music is most interesting when viewed as a cultural object rather than an art form, which lends to interdisciplinary work. But who knows! I still think I don't know enough about anything to really make any claim, or decision... Then again isn't that the basis for the academic pyramid scheme? ;) 

Anyway, I applied to: Uni of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign -- Musicology and UCSC --Music, the rest ethno: Indiana, Duke, NYU, CUNY, Columbia, Uni of Pittsburgh. I received an acceptance from Illinois with strong funding leads (or that's what I am telling myself to stay sane) and dead silence from everyone else (again convincing myself that ethno's work differently than musicologists or theorists). 

6 hours ago, pianoman2022 said:

@QueerTrumpeterYeah, I expected the same for Harvard given its super recent deadline but it seems like historically they review applications very quickly.  Haha, I'd love to wake up to some news tomorrow, too!  I'm not sure if they send out decisions on MLK day or not, but I received an interview invite from Florida State on New Year's Eve, so it might be possible?  And nope, I haven't heard from UChicago yet.  Based on results from previous years, it looks like they don't do interviews and release decisions by late January/early February each year.

Sorry for barging in on the convo like a boomer mother overhearing a conspiracy theory in the produce section of a Target. You heard on New Year's Eve?? Whaaaat? This changes the whole "when will I hear" monologue in my head. Now, I simply have to set an alarm every hour while sleeping to check my emails, all the online portals, and GradCafe. Jokes, not going that crazy...yet. 

11 hours ago, pennymarx said:

Sorry for barging in on the convo like a boomer mother overhearing a conspiracy theory in the produce section of a Target. You heard on New Year's Eve?? Whaaaat? This changes the whole "when will I hear" monologue in my head. Now, I simply have to set an alarm every hour while sleeping to check my emails, all the online portals, and GradCafe. Jokes, not going that crazy...yet. 

Haha, no problem at all!  But yeah I was super shocked by that too??  I guess any day at any time is fair game for hearing from these schools, lol.  Also, I've been wondering if some schools update their online portals without sending email notifications?  If so, I need to start checking my portals regularly because I haven't been doing that?

Been creepin, but I’m kinda dyin waiting so here’s my post folkz! PhD Theory applicant specializing in jazz theory, improv theory, and theory ped. Applied to a bunch o schools (u of Michigan, Harvard, Yale, CUNY, McGill, Eastman, Indiana, UC Irvine, Columbia). Just trying to find a theory program that respects jazz/commercial music at an academic level (proves much more rare than it should).

12 hours ago, pennymarx said:

Also barging in just to appreciate what a brilliant analogy this is. Such skill with the written word can't help but earn some acceptance letters! 

1 hour ago, YazzBone said:

Been creepin, but I’m kinda dyin waiting so here’s my post folkz! PhD Theory applicant specializing in jazz theory, improv theory, and theory ped. Applied to a bunch o schools (u of Michigan, Harvard, Yale, CUNY, McGill, Eastman, Indiana, UC Irvine, Columbia). Just trying to find a theory program that respects jazz/commercial music at an academic level (proves much more rare than it should).

So nice to finally meet another PhD Theory applicant!  Those are all great schools.  Have you heard from any of them yet?