pianoman2022

14 hours ago, YazzBone said:

Pretty dang silent on the theory front this week! Had high hopes we’d be gettin tons o info. Anyone have any insights?

I'm really shocked about that, too!  I received an interview invite from Washington University in St. Louis on Wednesday, and had my Eastman interview yesterday, but haven't heard from any other schools this week.  Fingers crossed we hear something within the next week...

On 1/21/2022 at 6:40 PM, YazzBone said:

Pretty dang silent on the theory front this week! Had high hopes we’d be gettin tons o info. Anyone have any insights?

Can't speak to the theory side of things, but I can certainly say that things have been quiet for musicology too! I had my Eastman interview on Friday and solidified my acceptance to UNC Chapel Hill. Other than that, no new information. I have six schools I haven't heard anything from yet, including three schools with the Dec. 15th deadline. Hoping we hear more this week!

On 1/24/2022 at 3:36 PM, QueerTrumpeter said:

Can't speak to the theory side of things, but I can certainly say that things have been quiet for musicology too! I had my Eastman interview on Friday and solidified my acceptance to UNC Chapel Hill. Other than that, no new information. I have six schools I haven't heard anything from yet, including three schools with the Dec. 15th deadline. Hoping we hear more this week!

Congrats on the UNC acceptance! 

Hey! I just found this thread so I thought I'd say hi!

I only applied to one program (the musicology PhD at WashU) and am anxiously waiting to hear back. I'm in a somewhat non-traditional position as an applicant because I don't have any formal degrees in music, and I also have a PhD in a different field. I discussed my background with the program director a few months ago to ensure it made sense for me to apply and to explain my project idea (which would be about about stylistic differences in polka music as well as researching the influence polka has had in St. Louis). 

One question I have after reading this forum though, is if it fairly normal for music programs to do interviews before announcing acceptances? 

3 hours ago, Silly_Socrates said:

Hey! I just found this thread so I thought I'd say hi!

I only applied to one program (the musicology PhD at WashU) and am anxiously waiting to hear back. I'm in a somewhat non-traditional position as an applicant because I don't have any formal degrees in music, and I also have a PhD in a different field. I discussed my background with the program director a few months ago to ensure it made sense for me to apply and to explain my project idea (which would be about about stylistic differences in polka music as well as researching the influence polka has had in St. Louis). 

One question I have after reading this forum though, is if it fairly normal for music programs to do interviews before announcing acceptances? 

Welcome to music!! I was actually just speaking to my advisor about it. She said when she applied, she's young so not too long ago, interviews were not standard at all. They actually only did interviews for their "maybe" candidates. I think this has changed to becoming somewhat standard. That being said, anxiously going through past results, ethnomusicology doesn't seem that big on it, but might also change! I've heard from 2 schools: one straight to admission and one interview invite.

7 hours ago, pianoman2022 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Harvard yet (theory, musicology, or ethnomusicology)?  It seems that in previous years they have typically sent out interview invites by now...

I know for a fact that as of today Harvard has looked at musicology applications but has not yet made any decisions, interview invites or otherwise. 

On 1/26/2022 at 2:41 PM, BWV 211 said:

Today I got an email informing me that I was nominated for the Graduate Council Fellowship at Stony Brook. It appears then that I will be receiving an acceptance to their Musicology Ph.D. shortly! 

Got an email from my professor of interest today; I'm being recommended for admission to the Ph.D. in Musicology at Stony Brook with full funding. I'll hear about the fellowship decision in a few weeks. I'm very grateful and excited! 

3 minutes ago, BWV 211 said:

I know for a fact that as of today Harvard has looked at musicology applications but has not yet made any decisions, interview invites or otherwise. 

Oh wow, have you been in contact with someone from the department?  Also huge congrats on your Stony Brook acceptance and fellowship nomination!!

2 minutes ago, pianoman2022 said:

Oh wow, have you been in contact with someone from the department?  Also huge congrats on your Stony Brook acceptance and fellowship nomination!!

Thank you! My advisor is a Harvard alum, and kindly stuck his neck out for me and put me on their radar. He told me just earlier today that his former advisor (one of my professors of interest) just contacted him about my application, but no decisions have been made yet. I'm not even certain that the committee has met, but they have at least read through and evaluated applications! 

Waitlisted for the Musicology Ph.D. at the University of Maryland! I'm not at all concerned as I have better offers elsewhere, and they were not the best fit anyway.

3 hours ago, pennymarx said:

Anybody got some news? This should be an interesting month!!

giphy.gif

I recently received my first acceptance into WashU's music theory PhD program!  My Indiana interview is this weekend, CUNY interview is next week, and Northwestern interview is the following week.  This will be a crazy month for sure!

2 hours ago, pianoman2022 said:

I recently received my first acceptance into WashU's music theory PhD program!  My Indiana interview is this weekend, CUNY interview is next week, and Northwestern interview is the following week.  This will be a crazy month for sure!

Wow... Busy time ahead! Congrats on the acceptance and interviews! I had my first interview yesterday with Pitt, and have been overthinking it ever since.

On 2/1/2022 at 6:19 PM, pianoman2022 said:

Congratulations!! I have a friend in the Musicology Ph.D. at WashU and he loves it. All of these are terrific schools, sounds like you're cleaning up this admissions cycle! 

4 minutes ago, BWV 211 said:

Congratulations!! I have a friend in the Musicology Ph.D. at WashU and he loves it. All of these are terrific schools, sounds like you're cleaning up this admissions cycle! 

Thank you!!  I'm really shocked with how many interview invites I've received -- I certainly did not expect this outcome. 

Huge congrats on your Yale interview!!  That's a fantastic school.  Do you know if they sent out all of their interview invites today (including theory)?  I saw someone post an interview invite for Yale's theory program on the results page, but haven't heard a word from them.  Still waiting to hear back from Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, and Princeton...

4 minutes ago, pianoman2022 said:

Thank you!!  I'm really shocked with how many interview invites I've received -- I certainly did not expect this outcome. 

Huge congrats on your Yale interview!!  That's a fantastic school.  Do you know if they sent out all of their interview invites today (including theory)?  I saw someone post an interview invite for Yale's theory program on the results page, but haven't heard a word from them.  Still waiting to hear back from Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, and Princeton...

I'm not certain, but I got the email less than an hour ago — they could still be sending them out! It's also worth mentioning that some schools send out interview invitations over the course of a few days, and others send them out in waves. I wouldn't give up hope yet, especially as it sounds as though you are killing it elsewhere! 

Also worth mentioning that mine was a personalized email from a professor of interest. This is a less streamlined process than generic letters posted to the application portal, so it takes more time. 

Edited by BWV 211

On 2/1/2022 at 1:28 PM, pennymarx said:

Anybody got some news? This should be an interesting month!!

giphy.gif

I have an interview with CUNY next Friday! Nothing post-interview from UCSD and Eastman, super kind emails from UCLA faculty and a request for my official transcripts today, and waiting to hear about the fellowships I was nominated for at UNC Chapel Hill. Silence from NYU, Harvard, Case, Chicago, and UVA.

On 2/1/2022 at 7:34 PM, pennymarx said:

Wow... Busy time ahead! Congrats on the acceptance and interviews! I had my first interview yesterday with Pitt, and have been overthinking it ever since.

I'm sure that it went much better than you think! My UO advisor told me recently that they "always" go better than you thought! Keep your chin up! Fingers crossed for you!!

DMA applicant for Performance Violin here, I see lots of musicology and composition results but not much info on performance programs. I was invited and did an audition and interview in mid-January for one out of my two applications, and I’m sweating bullets. Probably at least another month of waiting to go, right?

I quit my job and moved across the country for these applications. I know that doesn’t guarantee acceptance. I knew that when I moved. That doesn’t make the wait any easier, though.