Critical Language Scholarship 2022 Applicants

ohdunk

7 minutes ago, StevenM said:

I've applied for the Russian CLS Program; this would be my second application, hope I can get it this time D:, but it's looking kinda grim. Same feeling tho, nervous as hell and I'm currently in a lecture now lol. 

Apparently, Arabic, Indonesian, Persian, Chinese, and Russian have already been released according to some users' experiences on the CLS Facebook. 

Good luck! It seems alot of folks here are re-applying after getting rejected the first time, after all. Do people who re-apply get an advantage, by any chance? Are you also using the same essays that you applied with last time, or did you revise/rewrite them?

Not selected this time. As far as I can see this was my last year of being eligible, so it's time to move on to new things I suppose!! Thankful for the language gains I made last year, and trying to look ahead towards the future! I can't wait to hear about the finals as you all progress, and my condolences to fellow non-semifinalists!

1 hour ago, StevenM said:

I haven't heard anything either, but apparently, people who applied for Russian have already received their notifications. I'm not sure about the Japanese CLS Program, but I hope you get it either way. 

Do you think it is possible they may have sent out more rejections due to the lockdowns in some countries still? Japan is still closed, so I wonder if they didn't send all of us that applied for the Japan program rejections. I haven't seen anyone post that they've been selected as semi-finalist for it yet.

20 minutes ago, Xaliano said:

Reading that I’m in good company makes me feel better

but I’ll be honest- I’m pissed. This was my only time to apply. My essays were my best ever. I did a Fulbright in the country. I know this sounds conceited,  but CLS you got this one wrong 

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better, I only learned about CLS/was encouraged to apply because I would like to apply for a Fulbright in another post-Soviet country next year. You're so lucky to have gotten that experience! It seems a bit hard to understand the logic in the selection process.

17 minutes ago, clairvoux said:

Do you think it is possible they may have sent out more rejections due to the lockdowns in some countries still? Japan is still closed, so I wonder if they didn't send all of us that applied for the Japan program rejections. I haven't seen anyone post that they've been selected as semi-finalist for it yet.

Oh my bad, I meant to quote @Xaliano? But even so, I feel like this is odd that this many rejections are getting sent out when you compare last year's CLS thread here. It looked like most people who posted on it made it as semi-finalists, didn't they?

While I don't have any data or anything, just looking at the threads and hearing from my groupmates last year it definitely feels like there have been more rejections this year. I'll be interested to see how many people are actually selected as finalists- last year it was 666, 2020 was 252, 2019 was 545, 2018 was 555 (...why are they symmetrical? a secret requirement maybe). I'd be really surprised if they willingly reduced the number this year, especially since they've said they're focusing on online programs for this summer anyway.

Anyway. Definitely a little disappointed, but we'll move on to other things! Time to start taking Middlebury seriously. 

On 1/20/2022 at 6:44 PM, socrytes said:

Where did you hear they are focusing on virtual this year? I haven't heard any indication for the upcoming summer, just that they were debriefing the 2021 virtual institutes with all the program directors.

Hm, I thought they mentioned in the application this year that they were planning for virtual, but would go in-person if it could be arranged. Maybe I'm misremembering!

On 1/28/2022 at 7:09 AM, ohdunk said:

Hm, I thought they mentioned in the application this year that they were planning for virtual, but would go in-person if it could be arranged. Maybe I'm misremembering!

They were actually asked on Instagram and they gave this reply:
image.png.44a88478cb8f4e33d42f76b8b43abc41.png

I also emailed the program coordinator for one of the programs and he gave this reply:image.png.f640fae555564efb5e2f5e21ea654b61.png

On 1/29/2022 at 3:36 PM, socrytes said:

They were actually asked on Instagram and they gave this reply:
image.png.44a88478cb8f4e33d42f76b8b43abc41.png

I also emailed the program coordinator for one of the programs and he gave this reply:image.png.f640fae555564efb5e2f5e21ea654b61.png

Oh wow, thanks for going out and getting the information! Very proactive. Hopefully all the semifinalists in this thread will get to go to their sites in-person this year!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 1:06 PM, socrytes said:

Let the obsessive e-mail checking this week begin. Best of luck to all the other semi-finalists anxiously awaiting emails this week.

Best of luck to everyone!! While I'm not waiting on a CLS notification this year, I'm excited to hear from all of you semifinalists as they come out!

so if anyone is checking this... decisions will probably come out today. The portal was updated last night.

I feel so sick it's crazy. This is my fourth time applying for CLS and first time becoming a semifinalist (I'm a senior). And probably my last chance, since idk when/if I'll go to grad school. I have comments in past years' threads... this is my last chance but I can't stop feeling sick to my stomach about the thought of not winning. I want to go to Gwangju, Korea this summer... 

please send good vibes :( 

2 minutes ago, sowon said:

so if anyone is checking this... decisions will probably come out today. The portal was updated last night.

I feel so sick it's crazy. This is my fourth time applying for CLS and first time becoming a semifinalist (I'm a senior). And probably my last chance, since idk when/if I'll go to grad school. I have comments in past years' threads... this is my last chance but I can't stop feeling sick to my stomach about the thought of not winning. I want to go to Gwangju, Korea this summer... 

Best of luck sowon!! Good vibes sent!

5 minutes ago, sowon said:

I’m sending you the best of vibes, I also applied for the Korean program and am betting that the announcement will be today. After scouring forums and looking for data on the release dates and times, I really think the announcement will be today at around 4-5 pm EST. finalist announcements have always been on Tuesday or Thursday, and for the last few years it was 43-45 days after semi finalist announcements. i hope we hear some good news today, and I’m wishing you the best of luck! 

thanks everyone ? I'm going to go crazy if it doesn't come out today. This is already destroying my mental health. I'm also getting checked out for ADHD next week... so that would really explain why I keep checking my phone every 10 minutes and can't focus on anything. I even looked at the majors of every single finalist from last year to see how many there were with my major (3) and guess at my chances lol. come on, women in STEM... 

And @crackemon I would love to be finalists with you ?