Critical Language Scholarship 2022 Applicants

ohdunk

Have yet to receive an email but logged into AIS Forms and was greeted with acceptance terms to sign, so others may want to take a look. It looks like Hindi will be in-person this year, though with group housing instead of homestays.

32 minutes ago, socrytes said:

Notifications are out! Persian is virtual this year, though :(

Congrats, socrytes! I did Russian virtually, and I made some great friends and advanced from Intermediate Mid to Advanced Low- I'm sure virtual Persian will still be a great experience!

19 minutes ago, crackemon said:

well results are out and I’m an alternate :( I don’t think I’ll end up moving on since the Korean program is in person and I can’t imagine people denying the offer. big sad and I don’t want to have to wait… 

I'm sorry to hear that crackemon, but don't discount the possibility yet! I knew a lot of people who went from alternate to finalist, and some of those people even declined after that. Keep your head up!

Just now, ohdunk said:

Congrats, socrytes! I did Russian virtually, and I made some great friends and advanced from Intermediate Mid to Advanced Low- I'm sure virtual Persian will still be a great experience!

I did the virtual institute for Persian last year too. It was really great, don't get me wrong! But I unfortunately don't think I can justify delaying getting my PhD by doing virtual another summer. If it was in person, I would absolutely go for it though.

8 minutes ago, tunes said:

Have yet to receive an email but logged into AIS Forms and was greeted with acceptance terms to sign, so others may want to take a look. It looks like Hindi will be in-person this year, though with group housing instead of homestays.

That sounds like a sign of finalist status tunes! Make sure to check your spam folder, several CLS emails got caught in mine when I was on the scholarship.

4 minutes ago, socrytes said:

I did the virtual institute for Persian last year too. It was really great, don't get me wrong! But I unfortunately don't think I can justify delaying getting my PhD by doing virtual another summer. If it was in person, I would absolutely go for it though.

Hm, I can understand why you may choose not to participate this year. It's a shame that programs need to stay virtual, but honestly I'm quite surprised that any are planning on going in-person. I'm sure there will be other opportunities to travel and use your language skills! 

I'm really sorry @crackemon are you a senior? 

I GOT IN!!!!!! finally... after starting to learn Korean because I was motivated by the possibility of winning NSLI-Y, failing in the semifinalist round and crying more than I've ever cried in my life... applying to CLS three years in a row, getting my essays destroyed with feedback each time to improve, and failing in the first round every time... I'm fucking going to Korea this summer! 

and I didn't mention this before... but I met my boyfriend while studying abroad in Korea this fall. So CLS is the only way I'll be able to meet him for a year at least... that's another reason why it became so important to me.

I'm legit sobbing right now from happiness... thanks for the good vibes ??

1 minute ago, crackemon said:

for those who got accepted: did you get a placement letter? i just want to have a rough idea of the timeline for acceptance deadlines so that I know how much longer to wait as an alternate for Korea! 

oh I literally just got a placement letter

3 minutes ago, sowon said:

I GOT IN!!!!!! finally... after starting to learn Korean because I was motivated by the possibility of winning NSLI-Y, failing in the semifinalist round and crying more than I've ever cried in my life... applying to CLS three years in a row, getting my essays destroyed with feedback each time to improve, and failing in the first round every time... I'm fucking going to Korea this summer! 

and I didn't mention this before... but I met my boyfriend while studying abroad in Korea this fall. So CLS is the only way I'll be able to meet him for a year at least... that's another reason why it became so important to me.

Hey!! Congrats, I’m so happy to see this honestly. And I’m so glad you get to see your boyfriend as well!!! 

I’m not a senior and this is actually my first time applying, I wasn’t really expecting much but I considered this really a one time opportunity because i think I’ll be busy with preparing for grad school next summer. That being said I’m really selfishly hoping someone will decline the offer so I can go ? 

Did your placement letter say when you’ll have to make a decision? I know they’ll start admitting alternates after that deadline, so just wanted to know how much longer I might have to wait. 

33 minutes ago, crackemon said:

I’m not a senior and this is actually my first time applying, I wasn’t really expecting much but I considered this really a one time opportunity because i think I’ll be busy with preparing for grad school next summer. That being said I’m really selfishly hoping someone will decline the offer so I can go ? 

Did your placement letter say when you’ll have to make a decision? I know they’ll start admitting alternates after that deadline, so just wanted to know how much longer I might have to wait. 

it said I have to accept by 3/10! but there are also medical things to fill out by 4/1 that could possibly be disqualifying if I accept but don't do them?

and since you became an alternate, your application must already be really good... but if you decide to apply again, I would be more than willing to help you if you want to edit your application. I've applied every year and tutored writing for 3 years... I think I know what CLS is looking for quite well. But in some ways, it's also completely arbitrary and unfair.

To anyone else reading this: my application last year was in some ways BETTER than my application this year, and was rejected in the first round.

The only difference is that I studied abroad this time and incorporated that into my essays. But there was one really amazing part of my essays, on my planned senior thesis research on a colonial Korean poet, that I had to remove, because I would be doing that before CLS. And when I applied last year, I had never been abroad anywhere yet had reached an advanced level, which CLS is supposed to favor. Tbf, my essays did get even better from having been abroad. BUT there's supposed to be an advantage from not having been abroad... the spirit of giving opportunities to those who haven't had them...

7 hours ago, sowon said:

Congrats!! I'm so excited for you! I'm glad you'll be able to see your boyfriend, what an amazing opportunity! Can't wait to hear more as you go through the process:) 

• 3 weeks later...