MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

16 minutes ago, Arduino22 said:

No news so far from MSU. I’ve tried to contact them and no luck ?

I asked them last week and they said "The Graduate Admissions Committee met recently. You should be hearing from them soon." 

But I thought they sent interview invitations or acceptance letters until now.

Edited by f.m.m

4 minutes ago, f.m.m said:

I asked them last week and they said "The Graduate Admissions Committee met recently. You should be hearing from them soon." 

But I thought they had interviews or sent acceptance letters until now.

oh wow! how did you manage to get a response from them? 

Hi, 

I just got admitted to the University of Washington Photo/Media! They are kinda pressuring me to make a decision in the next couple weeks, but there are still a couple schools I haven't heard back from. 

The other schools I applied to are(all photo):

Massart-interview-said they would get back to me in "early April"

U of Arizona-Accepted with tuition waiver & TAship

UCLA-nothing

Yale-denied

Good luck to everyone as admission decisions roll in!

On 3/2/2022 at 10:27 AM, PhotoMFAer said:

I did too! Yesterday! Congratulations by the way!!

Thanks! Have you had yours yet? If so, how'd it go? I have mine later this week. Curious as to how the questions will be since they said it'd only be 15 minutes.

16 minutes ago, greentea2 said:

Hey! How'd your interview go? I have mine later this week!

it's happening tomorrow for me. From the email, it sounds like this will be much like a common interview - just an opportunity for them to learn about my background and interests in the field. I've also prepared some work to show over Zoom in case they want to see. Hope all goes well for us!

7 hours ago, Frank14 said:

Nothing yet! Even with all the VCU interviews I've seen on this forum I don't know if any of them have been with the painting/printmaking department. 

I interviewed for painting… but I suppose if someone heard back, I’m rejected! 

Hi All,

I have applied to the Lo Res MFA programs in Fine Arts / Interdisicplinary at SAIC, MICA, Mass Art and Bard. I was accepted at SAIC, and interviewed at MICa and MassArt. I am leaning towards SAIC and MICA. Does any one have any feelings or know the reputation of any of these schools, specifically SAIC and MICA? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, slickjaketheruler said:

Has anyone heard back from Tyler at all? From any department? I’m visiting the school tomorrow so hopefully I can gauge what I’m up against?

They didn’t interview me for printmaking, so I assume rejection, but still no official word. 

1 hour ago, slickjaketheruler said:

Has anyone heard back from Tyler at all? From any department? I’m visiting the school tomorrow so hopefully I can gauge what I’m up against?

I interviewed back in January but haven’t heard anything since

3 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I applied for painting and I haven’t heard from them since early February! They finished sculpture interviews a week and a half ago so I am hoping to hear any day now!

also emailed admissions on Friday and they said I should hear back in “the next week or two” 

3 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

My Tyler acceptance came in the third week of March last year, so it seems likely that they’re going to be on the later side again..

26 minutes ago, 1800goodluck said:

I applied for painting and I haven’t heard from them since early February! They finished sculpture interviews a week and a half ago so I am hoping to hear any day now!

also emailed admissions on Friday and they said I should hear back in “the next week or two” 

I’m in the same position. My interview was the first week of February. I guess I’m just waiting to see what and where we are at. Im hoping my tour with the Printmaking head will give me some insight as to where I am and where the university is with acceptances. 

fingers crossed for all of us!

4 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

i interviewed in january for fiber and was accepted in february

1 hour ago, moolala said:

i interviewed in january for fiber and was accepted in february

Congratulations!

I interviewed in January too for painting and had been hoping the delay in response was so they figured out funding across all programs. Alas. I’ll keep my fingers crossed until I hear from them but my hope is fading! 

How many people realistically don't attend a program due to lack of funding? I really don't want to take out over $90K in loans. Being admitted to an MFA program is something I've always dreamed of but as I'm putting pen to paper, it's becoming less of a reality to me due to the finances. Are most people willing to go into debt for an MFA Program? How are people feeling about funding?

Edited by greentea2

3 minutes ago, greentea2 said:

How many people realistically don't attend a program due to lack of funding? I really don't want to take out over $90K in loans. Being admitted to an MFA program is something I've always dreamed of but as I'm putting pen to paper, it's becoming less of a reality to me due to the finances. Are most people willing to go into debt for an MFA Program? How are people feeling about funding?

It was very difficult, but I turned down admission last year due to the cost and decided to apply again this year to try to get better funding elsewhere. I can't justify burying myself under $90k+ in debt (plus future interest that grows at a frightening rate with numbers that high, even with low rates) for a degree that realistically doesn't guarantee financial stability. I just know that I personally wouldn't be able to focus on my work and learning with those kinds of loans on my mind constantly. Everyone's situation is different though. I am not financially stable now and come from a low income background, so I can't help but think about the repercussions of loans. My tuition was fully funded in undergrad, but I took out loans to cover my housing expenses, and I still have a good amount left to pay back 6 years later. So imagining taking out that much in loans for just tuition makes me feel hopeless. 

However, it was pointed out to me by some professors that student loans have low interest rates compared to other types of loans and they have payment plans and options available, and hopefully there is some more reform coming for them, so they are not the scariest thing in the world and can be super useful if taken out wisely.

But things to think about are that having a huge amount of debt compared to whatever your income is can make getting loans for a car or house or even just opening credit cards difficult in the future if you ever find yourself wanting to or needing to.

Tldr; I'm scared of loans personally, but they make sense for some people and situations if they can reconcile them.