MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

3 hours ago, worldcleft said:

I just got accepted to CMU and the MIT ACT programme, both with scholarships.
CMU however requires me to give them an answer in a week -- due to recent loss and the fact that I haven't heard back from all my schools yet, I don't really know what to do or how to make a decision! would love any advice ...

Which CMU program is this? ETC?

I posted a little while ago stating that I was accepted to RISD Painting with a 25% scholarship, and TA position. The TA position is $5000 per year. I also qualify for work study which is $2000 per year. Direct Loan is $20,500 per year. I emailed to negotiate and the Program Coordinator called me, and while it was a great talk, she stated that at the moment there were no additional funds to disperse at the moment. I haven’t officially accepted, though I plan to. My question is, does anyone know if I should apply for a PLUS Loan before or after enrollment? I’m going to email the financial office but I was just wondering if anyone else knew/had this question. Congrats to everyone on your acceptances!

11 hours ago, Eric from America said:

I was in similar situations when I applied. One school initially asked me to make a decision in like mid February, when I still had interviews with other schools in mid March. I just politely explained the situations, and everyone was always cool about it.

I did try to get back to everyone as fast as I could, meaning I tried not to have more than one or two schools waiting on my decision at a time. Like, if you're accepted at five schools, and still waiting on three others, then make a decision among the first five while you wait, let them make someone on their wait list very happy ASAP, if that makes sense.

To everyone: Good luck, congrats on any acceptances so far, and maybe most importantly: If you haven't gotten an acceptance yet, maybe try to think about all the cool things you will make and do for the rest of this year that will make next year's applications even more awesome.

Appreciate your advice and detailed response.

Best regards!

I’ve heard some of you say you have emailed inquiries about when admissions decisions will be released to schools that you haven’t heard from. Are you emailing the admissions office or the department directly? I am waiting to hear from one school that I interviewed with in early February that said I would have a decision by the end of the month but I haven’t heard anything. What would you do?

1 hour ago, impliedpaste said:

I’ve heard some of you say you have emailed inquiries about when admissions decisions will be released to schools that you haven’t heard from. Are you emailing the admissions office or the department directly? I am waiting to hear from one school that I interviewed with in early February that said I would have a decision by the end of the month but I haven’t heard anything. What would you do?

I usually email the grad coordinators. And if I were you, I would just email especially if you should have already heard from them, why not

Are folks who got into SAIC still awaiting financial aid info? I was awarded some loans and an SAIC grant (appears to be 20% of tuition) when I got accepted late February. SAIC's website said they were awarding financial aid packages beginning March 1, so I assumed I would be receiving more need-based aid? Does anyone have any other insight on this? Thanks!

Hi there, long time lurker but have never commented before...

I was accepted into my number one mfa program and have until April to decide but they didn't send any financial aid information yet (only that I was denied a fellowship).

Teaching assistantships and work study may be awarded / put towards tuition in my second year but not for the first year...(this is a two year program)

I guess my question is should I have a clear understanding of what I will be paying/ how much debt I will be committing to before I officially admit? Or do you not discover this until after you enroll in classes... Their website has no helpful information honestly and I feel that it shouldn't be this confusing... 

I don't have much information at the moment so any advice is appreciated...

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, randy savage said:

I was accepted into my number one mfa program and have until April to decide but they didn't send any financial aid information yet (only that I was denied a fellowship).

Teaching assistantships and work study may be awarded / put towards tuition in my second year but not for the first year...(this is a two year program)

I guess my question is should I have a clear understanding of what I will be paying/ how much debt I will be committing to before I officially admit? Or do you not discover this until after you enroll in classes... Their website has no helpful information honestly and I feel that it shouldn't be this confusing... 

Thanks!

Definitely talk with them and get a clear understanding of the cost before you commit. 

I am thinking about reaching out to the schools I've applied to in hopes to get a timeline for their decisions. I am a little nervous to ask them because I don't want to be pushy but I also want to try and get some kind of idea where I'll be at in the next couple months because of residency applications and leases. Any advice about sending an email or should I just learn some SERIOUS patience and wait? Haven't even heard about interviews and it's almost been 2 months, only 3 people get in a year....

Last year when I applied and got rejected (different program) I heard back in 3 weeks, so no news is good news right now I guess?? 

Longtime lurker also chiming in for the first time.

In case this is helpful for anyone now or in the future, I applied to 3 schools, all for Photo MFA programs:

SAIC: Invite received 1/25, interviewed 2/12, accepted 2/17 (via faculty who asked me to call them)

CalArts: Invite received 2/4, interviewed 2/23, accepted 3/7 (via email asking me to check my admissions portal)

UCLA: no interview invite or news, assuming it's a no by now since they only accept 3 people each year. It was my first choice but don't think reapplying would be worth it w/ a 0.05% acceptance rate.

Received very little aid from SAIC and no aid package from CalArts yet so crossing my fingers it'll be more. Probably going to email both regardless asking for more $. Does anyone have any insight on asking for more aid from either school, were you successful?

Congrats everyone on your acceptances and good luck with deciding! Remember that if you didn't get in somewhere, it's more of an indication of not being a good fit than whether or not you're a good artist. This process is so, so subjective and it's their loss!

What are the biggest factors for everyone deciding? For me it's mostly aid, faculty, facilities/location right now. I got a better sense from the faculty at SAIC because the interview was a 40 min in depth talk about my work and goals compared to CalArts' 15 mins of standard questions.

Edited by cherrysoda

1 hour ago, cherrysoda said:

In case this is helpful for anyone now or in the future, I applied to 3 schools, all for Photo MFA programs:

SAIC: Invite received 1/25, interviewed 2/12, accepted 2/17 (via faculty who asked me to call them)

CalArts: Invite received 2/4, interviewed 2/23, accepted 3/7 (via email asking me to check my admissions portal)

UCLA: no interview invite or news, assuming it's a no by now since they only accept 3 people each year. It was my first choice but don't think reapplying would be worth it w/ a 0.05% acceptance rate.

Received very little aid from SAIC and no aid package from CalArts yet so crossing my fingers it'll be more. Probably going to email both regardless asking for more $. Does anyone have any insight on asking for more aid from either school, were you successful?

Congrats everyone on your acceptances and good luck with deciding! Remember that if you didn't get in somewhere, it's more of an indication of not being a good fit than whether or not you're a good artist. This process is so, so subjective and it's their loss!

What are the biggest factors for everyone deciding? For me it's mostly aid, faculty, facilities/location right now. I got a better sense from the faculty at SAIC because the interview was a 40 min in depth talk about my work and goals compared to CalArts' 15 mins of standard questions.

Congrats on the acceptances! My top factors are going to come down to aid, faculty, location, TAships. I would ask if you could speak with faculty and current students at the schools you're considering. It'll help a lot to get to know them outside of the interview. I'd ask about setting up a call or zoom meeting with a couple of them at least. 

2 hours ago, randy savage said:

Thanks!

I was sleepy when I replied and forgot to say congrats too! Did you apply for Fafsa? It sounds like the cost would be up to you and loans or any outside scholarships you apply to and can get. I would definitely try to confirm with them that this is the case and also ask how likely it is to get the TAships in the second year, like how many positions there are available compared to how many students in your cohort. 

2 hours ago, LizRAE said:

I am thinking about reaching out to the schools I've applied to in hopes to get a timeline for their decisions. I am a little nervous to ask them because I don't want to be pushy but I also want to try and get some kind of idea where I'll be at in the next couple months because of residency applications and leases. Any advice about sending an email or should I just learn some SERIOUS patience and wait? Haven't even heard about interviews and it's almost been 2 months, only 3 people get in a year....

Last year when I applied and got rejected (different program) I heard back in 3 weeks, so no news is good news right now I guess?? 

Different programs run on different timelines, so there's really no way to tell unless you see other people getting interviews and responses or unless you ask, unfortunately.  You may or may not get a response back if you ask, but it seems like a polite email to the department asking about the timeline doesn't hurt unless the school specifies not to inquire. 

4 hours ago, greentea2 said:

Are folks who got into SAIC still awaiting financial aid info? I was awarded some loans and an SAIC grant (appears to be 20% of tuition) when I got accepted late February. SAIC's website said they were awarding financial aid packages beginning March 1, so I assumed I would be receiving more need-based aid? Does anyone have any other insight on this? Thanks!

I submitted the FAFSA by the 2/15 priority deadline and received all financial aid info already (SAIC grant, work study plus 2 loans) I remember that the admissions person said all Merit Scholarships had already been awarded too so I don't think there's anything else coming unless you just submitted the FAFSA and they're now calculating based on that.

But definitely worth a shot to ask for more, I feel like the worst they can say is no.

3 hours ago, cherrysoda said:

Email the financial aid office and ask if they have a financial aid appeal process. I would avoid using the word "negotiate" as financial aid offices are audited.

Once you know what the appeal process is, you either fill out a form or in some cases, you end up calling the financial aid officers and explaining your situation. There's usually wiggle room to give you more $, but do it sooner rather than later while there still are funds before its all appealed away.

4 hours ago, LizRAE said:

I reached out to a few programs and received mixed responses, I reached out to UCI and they didn't respond and rejected me lol but I reached to the university of Montana and they told me that I was number one on their waitlist! If you reach out through the right channels it seems like it's not a bad option at all! 

3 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

Just got an acceptance from CCA, excited for some good news finally. ? 

WOOHOO ME TOO!! (3 year, MFA in Design)
I also got a solid $40k in scholarships all 3 years! ???
I had a feeling some news would be coming this week, didn’t expect it today though!! AAH YESS CONGRATS!!

(Alright ArtCenter graphic design MFA... waiting on you now)

2 minutes ago, thatdesigndude said:

WOOHOO ME TOO!! (3 year, MFA in Design)
I also got a solid $40k in scholarships all 3 years! ???
I had a feeling some news would be coming this week, didn’t expect it today though!! AAH YESS CONGRATS!!

(Alright ArtCenter graphic design MFA... waiting on you now)

Congratulations!!!! I was offered $40k per year for the 2 year MFA in fine arts as well! (I was quite surprised!) But for 3 years, that's even more exciting! I hope you get good news from Art Center soon too! Do you have a preference between the two? 

17 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

Congratulations!!!! I was offered $40k per year for the 2 year MFA in fine arts as well! (I was quite surprised!) But for 3 years, that's even more exciting! I hope you get good news from Art Center soon too! Do you have a preference between the two? 

SWEET, get that moola!

It’s so hard to pick, if all things are equal I’d pick ArtCenter but who knows. So many variables still to come, negotiations, campus visits, etc. ahhhh this is all happening, finally the dream is reality!!!

Hi everyone! Waiting to get news from Columbia mfa in visual arts, painting concentration. I see some people here already got an interview scheduled... Shouldnt I even expect a rejection letter?? I checked the portal and my application status hasnt moved either...