MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

11 minutes ago, eatyoveggies said:

Pretty sure what they’re talking about is taking other classes at CUNY schools (cuny=city university of New York, and hunter is one of them.) I don’t know it works for grad programs, or how much time you’d have for other classes, but you’d be able to take classes throughout other cuny schools like Brooklyn college, city college, queens college, Lehman college, etc. you should look into it if you end up going there! 

They actually talked about this during the tour-- you can't really take classes outside of the MFA program. Well, you can but you have apply to do it and get special permission. And if it isn't directly related to the MFA (ie an art history class) you have to pay separate CUNY class tuition rates to do it. 

There are a few people that are still on the fence about USC Roski because of the cost. I've found a couple of resources and opportunities that would help to inform you if you would like to have them.

Not sure if the resources will tip the scale, but if they have the potential to take some of the sting out of admission costs, I would be happy to share. Otherwise, there are other opportunities and scholarships out there that aren't directly from USC but offered to Arts and Humanities students that are easy to dig up.

I've shared with a few of you, but if we haven't talked about it feel free to DM me if interested within the next few days and I'll send you a couple links.

Right now, more than ever, society needs our artwork and practice and energy. We are coming out of an ugly and confrontational time in our recent history where we have to start rebuilding and creating beautiful things that are good for the people and geared toward social justice and equality/equity. Like always, the onus falls on the Artists, Music, Literature, Screen, Stage, and Humanities to lead the way. (And we will generate revenue for ourselves while doing it). If you don't think we have power, take a look at who fascists and oppressors kill first during times of darkness. We give the people a voice.

Let's be leaders. Let's elevate ourselves and one another. Let's hold one another to account, and also be supportive and tolerant.

It looks like all the admissions situations are either wrapped up or closing very quickly, and I don't see the need to keep patronizing The GradCafe beyond March. This joint has been a daily thing for me for the past 3 months and I've enjoyed interacting with everyone while sharing your worries, strengths, hopes, art, and life stories in the DM's and otherwise. You've all given me strength.

It's encouraging to see so many happy young people moving in the direction of creativity and working in the programs they want to serve the best they can. I hope that everyone had a meaningful season and learned a lot. This round felt REALLY stressful, and I'm grateful to you all for your kindness and grace and sharing. Thank you.

You are inspirational to me, and hopefully to each other. We are good people, and we are strong. Please never forget how powerful we are. Please keep making art and never give up!

FIGHT ON!

Turned-to-Artists.png

Hi all, it is my first time posting but this forum has been so helpful to me throughout this process! I am a sculpture applicant and here is where I am at in the process - 

Stanford - Rejected
Yale - Rejected
Berkeley - Rejected
SAIC - Accepted
UCLA - Accepted
VCU - Accepted, 10k stipend
RISD - Accepted
CMU - Waitlisted 

I wanted to know if anyone had any opinions about VCU, RISD, UCLA and SAIC, specifically the sculpture programs? I am leaning towards RISD but I know VCU and UCLA are supposedly ranked higher. Thanks! 

Hello fellow artists, 

I have been accepted into SAIC And MICA low-res programs and I am totally torn.  Chicago seems to have a solid, very inspiring faculty support where as MICA seems to offer very personalized mentorship.  No funding at SAIC vs 1/2 tuition at MICA.  What should I do???  Anyone here have experienced the programs?

thanks 

I thought I might just post a quick status update in case its helpful for anyone. I applied for Printmaking track. 

Rutgers- Rejected

Hunter- Rejected

Temple- Haven't heard, no interview (assuming rejection)

Pratt- Accepted with 7,500/ semester funding

Columbia- Interviewed March 10, waiting on decision

Has anyone else who interviewed at Columbia heard yet? Does anyone know how long it typically takes to hear from them?

Edited by ABLBDB345

21 minutes ago, friendlyvoidcritter said:

Status update in case it helps(painting):

RISD - rejected

Cranbrook - waitlist ?

Pratt - accepted

SMFA - accepted

University of Michigan - rejected

Syracuse - accepted

Does anyone have info on Pratt vs Syracuse? Also, is there any hope for Cranbrook? 

I am also on the cranbrook waitlist and hoping there is hope! Good luck to you too!

3 hours ago, dazedandconfused99 said:

Hi all, it is my first time posting but this forum has been so helpful to me throughout this process! I am a sculpture applicant and here is where I am at in the process - 

Stanford - Rejected
Yale - Rejected
Berkeley - Rejected
SAIC - Accepted
UCLA - Accepted
RISD - Accepted
CMU - Waitlisted 

I wanted to know if anyone had any opinions about VCU, RISD, UCLA and SAIC, specifically the sculpture programs? I am leaning towards RISD but I know VCU and UCLA are supposedly ranked higher. Thanks! 

I live in Richmond and love everything I’ve seen come out of VCU’s sculpture + extended media program. You get a really cool space to show your MFA thesis work in. What I’ve noticed they do differently than other programs, is that they really prize work that is reflective of experience and feeling rather than object making (so lots of installation work that I’ve seen come from the program in both the sculpture and craft program). I think your best bet would be to look at the MFA catalog and ask yourself if you see yourself and your practice in the types of work students are coming out from. 

I’ve attached the show I saw in person from 2018, which feels like the strongest I’ve seen come from the program. 

https://issuu.com/vcuarts/docs/vcuarts_2018_mfathesiscatalog_pages

4 hours ago, dazedandconfused99 said:

Stanford - Rejected
Yale - Rejected
Berkeley - Rejected
SAIC - Accepted
UCLA - Accepted
RISD - Accepted
CMU - Waitlisted 

Hey @dazedandconfused99 those schools -- VCU, RISD, UCLA, and SAIC -- are all great schools. I went to VCU for Kinetic Imaging (new media/time based art) and also took sculpture classes and classes with sculpture students so maybe I'm biased here. I can agree with what @slickjaketheruler is saying. And also, VCU's "Accepted + 10k stipend" would probably make my decision for me. I mean, all four are great programs, three of them want you to pay them, and one of them wants to pay you $10K? I'd take that $10,000!

I think maybe it depends on what you want to do. I have spoken with three graduates from vcu and two current students and they all told me that vcu was lacking in connections, so the program and faculty is great, super supportive and all, but maybe after graduating is not so great due to the fact that you don't have man y opportunities to link with others during your studies. I'm not sure how relevant this is really because if you are proactive of course this isn't a real setback. However, it is an important fact when in comes to make an informed decision. 

5 minutes ago, eatyoveggies said:

Yes- I heard from drawing& painting. Interviewed on 2/20 and was waitlisted 2/22. 

Okay, thank you.

did they tell you how far down the list you are?

the Grad Cordinator just told me I’m on the waitlist when I sent a mail. If there an official email sent informing those on the waitlist?

I applied for MFA Graphic design and I’m an international student 

9 minutes ago, Madamshaay said:

Okay, thank you.

did they tell you how far down the list you are?

the Grad Cordinator just told me I’m on the waitlist when I sent a mail. If there an official email sent informing those on the waitlist?

I applied for MFA Graphic design and I’m an international student 

The area head (who I interviewed with) emailed me, but nothing official other than that. He said I should hear more as the April 15th decision deadline comes closer and people start rejecting their offers. I don't know where I am on the waitlist, and I didn't ask, but only about 8 interviewed for 2-3 spots.

3 minutes ago, eatyoveggies said:

The area head (who I interviewed with) emailed me, but nothing official other than that. He said I should hear more as the April 15th decision deadline comes closer and people start rejecting their offers. I don't know where I am on the waitlist, and I didn't ask, but only about 8 interviewed for 2-3 spots.

Thank you. Wasn’t called for an interview so I take it as a rejection.

Please who has heard from FSU MFA? I was interviewed and sent an email that I made it to the final round of Applicants. Please what does this mean and any idea when we should expect to hear from them?

I sent emails but no response.

Any information will be appreciated 

42 minutes ago, Madamshaay said:

Thank you. Wasn’t called for an interview so I take it as a rejection.

well you applied to a different department, perhaps they are doing something different? sometimes when one department interviews, another doesn't. so if the grad coordinator told you that you're on the waitlist i would assume its true. And for your FSU inquiry above, I was also interviewed by them and accepted about a month ago. I would assume that 'final round' means you're waitlisted there

5 minutes ago, eatyoveggies said:

well you applied to a different department, perhaps they are doing something different? sometimes when one department interviews, another doesn't. so if the grad coordinator told you that you're on the waitlist i would assume its true. And for your FSU inquiry above, I was also interviewed by them and accepted about a month ago. I would assume that 'final round' means you're waitlisted there

This makes me feel so much better, thank you. I would love to attend GSU.

congratulations! 
This anxiety is driving me crazy  

29 minutes ago, Madamshaay said:

This makes me feel so much better, thank you. I would love to attend GSU.

congratulations! 
This anxiety is driving me crazy  

Thanks! Yeah It's driving me crazy too..  Hoping that these next few weeks will bring lots more movement on the waitlist. Fingers crossed for you for GSU! it seems like a great program.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:28 AM, dazedandconfused99 said:

Stanford - Rejected
Yale - Rejected
Berkeley - Rejected
SAIC - Accepted
UCLA - Accepted
RISD - Accepted
CMU - Waitlisted 

Rankings only mean so much. To be honest, if you find a cohort of people you want to work and hang out with, that would be much more meaningful here.

21 hours ago, Hjuoollpphhfcvn said:

I think maybe it depends on what you want to do. I have spoken with three graduates from vcu and two current students and they all told me that vcu was lacking in connections, so the program and faculty is great, super supportive and all, but maybe after graduating is not so great due to the fact that you don't have man y opportunities to link with others during your studies. I'm not sure how relevant this is really because if you are proactive of course this isn't a real setback. However, it is an important fact when in comes to make an informed decision. 

Geography for me is going to be the largest factor when I apply this fall to graduate programs. Things have changed so much during the past year but I will update that in a future thread here.

On 3/13/2022 at 7:52 AM, Danais said:

Hi , I had my interview with Columbia , painting on the 11th of March. You already received a letter?

@Danais, wondering if you've heard anything yet? I interviewed for Printmaking March 10 and haven't heard anything yet, not sure if I should assume rejection at this point...