MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

8 minutes ago, blumeenez said:

I keep refreshing my inbox and looking at the Rutgers portal. Still at the "under review" stage, but no interview email...uuuugh. 

My portal shows no changes either. Rutgers has an option to do on-site interviews, so maybe they are reaching out to those who live far away, to schedule the zooms before on-sites?

13 hours ago, beeebeeeebeebeebo said:

I looked in last year's thread, searched school names and looked at post dates. I was so impatient! but now I at least have a sense of when they reached out with decisions last year! y'all might like to do the same.

fyi Purchase, UCONN, and Tyler were early-mid march. so now imma just focus on my work for a couple weeks before I let them creep back in my thoughts haha. good luck homies (•̀ᴗ•́)و ̑̑

Ah, I just did this too and now I'm extra worried ?. All of the schools I applied to (with the exception of UConn) seemed to have interviews done, or at least scheduled, by now. When I check all of the graduate application status pages they say "in review" or "received" ?

3 minutes ago, Jar_of_Mayonnaise said:

Ah, I just did this too and now I'm extra worried ?. All of the schools I applied to (with the exception of UConn) seemed to have interviews done, or at least scheduled, by now. When I check all of the graduate application status pages they say "in review" or "received" ?

Some schools probably got a late start this year being online for the first few weeks with the omicron surge.. hang tight. 

3 hours ago, blumeenez said:

Hey! Just got interview request from Tyler and Alfred (Sculpture). Still waiting to hear back from Purchase, UT Austin, and Rutgers.  

I am very much freaking out right now. Any tips on interviews? Also around if anyone wanted to do a dry run over zoom. Feel free to DM me here or over IG https://www.instagram.com/laurie_berenhaus/

I interviewed with Tyler sculpture last year and it was pretty intense. Be prepared to be grilled about the conceptual reasons for pretty every component of your practice from material choice to visual content. I ran long with my presentation so have a clock 

I'm applying for painting programs, as that was my undergrad degree. I've been out of school for a decade and working as a full time artist and art teacher. Here's my status:

SAIC, MICA: interviews this week

Rutgers: Rejected on portal (very anti-climactic!)

UW, UTK, VCU, and UNM: waiting!

I had a pal who got an interview from VCU on Friday so I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten that one either.

Edited by cirrostratusphere
forgot I'm also waiting on RISD

12 minutes ago, cirrostratusphere said:

I'm applying for painting programs, as that was my undergrad degree. I've been out of school for a decade and working as a full time artist and art teacher. Here's my status:

I had a pal who got an interview from VCU on Friday so I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten that one either.

nice! I also had my interview with MICA this week, but for the multidisciplinary arts program. Did you friend who got an interview request with VCU apply to the painting and printmaking program?

1 hour ago, painting549 said:

Does anyone know approx how many interviews Rutgers offers, and how many people are offered acceptances from that pool? From previous years maybe?

They didn’t accept applications last year because of COVID so I have a feeling demand was higher this year! That coupled with them being a rare full tuition reimbursement school within an easy drive of nyc makes them (this is a word of mouth) as competitive as Columbia as far as admittance numbers! 

1 minute ago, Frank14 said:

nice! I also had my interview with MICA this week, but for the multidisciplinary arts program. Did you friend who got an interview request with VCU apply to the painting and printmaking program?

Yep! They got an interview request for that program in a group email sent to several candidates. My portal doesn't say anything though so it's too soon to know for sure I suppose.

How was your MICA interview? I'm excited they told me who I was interviewing with.

19 minutes ago, cirrostratusphere said:

Hi there do you mean UW Seattle?

1 hour ago, painting549 said:

Does anyone know approx how many interviews Rutgers offers, and how many people are offered acceptances from that pool? From previous years maybe?

There seems to be much mystery around Rutgers this year! Based on the fact that they are doing only one interview day (this is also stated on their website), and assuming they are doing individual interviews and not panel interviews, I'm going to guess 10-15 interviewees.... ???

5 minutes ago, cirrostratusphere said:

Yep! They got an interview request for that program in a group email sent to several candidates. My portal doesn't say anything though so it's too soon to know for sure I suppose.

How was your MICA interview? I'm excited they told me who I was interviewing with.

Ah dang, well maybe there's still a chance? My portal doesn't say anything either. ? 

I thought my interview with MICA went pretty well! ?‍♂️ It was only 15 minutes long, which seemed so short! She dove into questions right off the bat and asked why I want to go to grad school and a clarifying question about my work. I asked a couple questions and talked about some of the professors I was interested in and what kind of work I wanted to do in grad school etc. 

I was glad they told me who I was interviewing with too! My interviewer was Siobhan Liddell, and I really like her work so I was nervous!! 

Has anyone heard anything from USF yet? It seems in past years people were getting interview requests right about now. I haven't heard a peep from them. On their website it says that you're supposed to be able to check your graduate admissions status, but I can't seem to find that in my student portal. 

I just finished my interview with the entire Printmaking department at Iowa. I think it went well, but the interview was so short. They didn’t really ask me about my work. They just wanted to know why grad school, why Iowa, and answer any questions I had. Apparently I’ll know if I got in by early next week. Whew. 

Man! I'm going crazy. I interviewed at my number one school, but Rutgers is number two and I'm dying to know if I'm in or not. A friend of mine (painter) found out today that they were selected for an interview.

23 minutes ago, javpppppp said:

hello!!! can anyone give info about the Saic interview? I applied to Art and Technology and haven't found anything about it in the forum! My interview is on Saturday :)

I have an interview with Painting and Drawing on Friday and can update you on what that's like after it, though I'm sure it'll probably be a bit different from Art and Tech. 

Is anyone getting nervous that they won’t get in anywhere or be able to attend this coming year? This is my third time applying for MFA programs and the fact I’ve only had one interview with my number one school is making me feel like chances are just really slim for me this year for me.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do if I don’t get in. I’ve worked my ass off really hard this year to transition into this, so I’m starting to get paranoid that I’ll be heading back to my crappy job. 

1 hour ago, slickjaketheruler said:

Is anyone getting nervous that they won’t get in anywhere or be able to attend this coming year? This is my third time applying for MFA programs and the fact I’ve only had one interview with my number one school is making me feel like chances are just really slim for me this year for me.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do if I don’t get in. I’ve worked my ass off really hard this year to transition into this, so I’m starting to get paranoid that I’ll be heading back to my crappy job. 

I’m in the same boat! This is my third year applying and I’ve only had one interview so far and a rejection from Rutgers. I don’t know if it makes you feel any better knowing that you are not alone but I hope it does!!

I keep reminding myself that MFA’s are really hard to get into and top programs have ambiguous standards for acceptance and have lower acceptance rates than top law schools. Good luck and keep your head up! 

Got my USC (University of Southern California) interview tomorrow morning. Anyone else going for USC Roski???

I'm really surprised that I haven't seen anyone talk about Roski considering the caliber of their program and the city they're in.

I didn't think I'd feel nervous, but I kinda do. It's prob because I've been following this group of professors for a few years now and talking to them again as a group is a trip because I feel like I know what they've been up to, intimately, but we don't hang out.

Ahhh... It's gonna be fine. The USC faculty are fabuloso. ?????