MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

4 hours ago, chunkeymonkey said:

Also, my friend got his interview at VCU Sculpture yesterday, so I guess those emails have started going out as well. 

Oh that's a shame as I applied for VCU sculpture as well. Do you know if VCU has finished sending out interview invitations? 

2 hours ago, HJAn said:

Oh that's a shame as I applied for VCU sculpture as well. Do you know if VCU has finished sending out interview invitations? 

The email sent about extending the deadline for the application mentioned multiple cycles of review so that could mean there are multiple cycles of interviews. If you applied before Jan 15 you're guaranteed to be reviewed in the first cycle, if not then they may not have even seen your application yet so don't lose hope either way. I also know that the different departments are working on different timelines. I don't know if they are done or not but hopefully that info gives some insight

1 minute ago, blueviolet said:

The email sent about extending the deadline for the application mentioned multiple cycles of review so that could mean there are multiple cycles of interviews. If you applied before Jan 15 you're guaranteed to be reviewed in the first cycle, if not then they may not have even seen your application yet so don't lose hope either way. I also know that the different departments are working on different timelines. I don't know if they are done or not but hopefully that info gives some insight

I did apply before Jan 15, so it seems they likely took a pass on me. Regardless, thank you for the info! Trying to remain hopeful :)

5 hours ago, 1800goodluck said:

Also want to know if this was a painting interview? Thanks for the info!

Nope! Sculpture

2 hours ago, HJAn said:

I don't know, but I didn't get one yet either so I really hope not. 

4 minutes ago, blueviolet said:

If you applied before Jan 15 you're guaranteed to be reviewed in the first cycle, if not then they may not have even seen your application yet so don't lose hope either way. I also know that the different departments are working on different timelines. I don't know if they are done or not but hopefully that info gives some insight

That totally makes sense!! 

Just submitted the supplemental works for the Yale interview..... ? decided to go with all "new" works (works I considered including in my application but didn't & works I made after the deadline). Hope it doesn't bite me in the ass.... the stress never ends!! Not sure if other departments are doing the same, but I'm curious how others approached this?

3 minutes ago, Pickle95 said:

Just submitted the supplemental works for the Yale interview..... ? decided to go with all "new" works (works I considered including in my application but didn't & works I made after the deadline). Hope it doesn't bite me in the ass.... the stress never ends!! Not sure if other departments are doing the same, but I'm curious how others approached this?

Feel free to message me or whatever. Talking through the process is comforting lol...

1 hour ago, Pickle95 said:

No idea, but I would guess taking that risk in showing new work would be seen as a good thing. I think you made the (brave) right call, for you! 

You're getting closer to the light at the end of the stress tunnel! 

Hunter interviews will probably go out next week based on past forums but the closer it gets the harder it is to wait!! Just woke up from a dream that I received the interview request email but then it wasn't actually, just a promotional email, can't even catch a break when I'm unconscious!!

9 minutes ago, blueviolet said:

Me! Glad to see there are others! Where did you apply? Here’s my list:

VCU

UNL

LSU

SIUE

Alfred

I’m accepted at VCU and waiting to hear from everywhere else.

Congrats on VCU! I am waiting to hear from Indiana and OU. Fingers crossed, this is my 2nd year applying

10 hours ago, Pickle95 said:

That's amazing that you were able to finish new works after submitting your application! Bravo. I don't think the interview process is a test of any sort, so there is no wrong approach. Your submission probably reveals productivity as one of your strengths.

I submitted four images of works that I felt would best narrate what I hope to work on while at Yale... 3 were from my portfolio, 1 was older and intended to support an origin story of sorts.

10 hours ago, Pickle95 said:

Which department are you interviewing for? I have an interview with the graphic design dept but i havent been asked to submit any supplemental works, they just said i have to screenshare to talk about them. i'm a bit confused :D

Just had an interview with VCU Graphic Design department. I think it went very well, I'm actually expecting good news! The faculty was extremely nice, they seemed interested in who I am as an artist, and the department seems very welcoming and accepting of individuality. For anyone wondering, the results will be out around 22nd of February. 

1 hour ago, seelamfa22 said:

That's amazing that you were able to finish new works after submitting your application! Bravo. I don't think the interview process is a test of any sort, so there is no wrong approach. Your submission probably reveals productivity as one of your strengths.

I submitted four images of works that I felt would best narrate what I hope to work on while at Yale... 3 were from my portfolio, 1 was older and intended to support an origin story of sorts.

Thanks for sharing! I agree, that any approach will most likely suffice.

It's always hard for me to tell how much is already determined prior to the interview, but you make a good point. Best of luck!!

49 minutes ago, hibiscusleaves said:

Which department are you interviewing for? I have an interview with the graphic design dept but i havent been asked to submit any supplemental works, they just said i have to screenshare to talk about them. i'm a bit confused :D

Painting/Printmaking

Submitting work is in lieu of bringing works in person for the interview. From my understanding.