MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

59 minutes ago, chunkeymonkey said:

I was also just wondering - I read on one of the past year's forums that you should email the faculty who interviews you to thank them etc. Does anyone actually do this in practice? 

Yes, I do! Reiterate that I'm excited about the program, mentioning a certain thing we discussed in the interview. 

Also, found out about Rutgers rejection thanks to this forum. Still no email from them, weird and kind of tacky? Stay positive y'all!!! It still seems like a lot of schools are just beginning the process. 

Edited by nameless cat

Any advice for someone interviewing for Design? I’m genuinely shocked that the design department thought I was a good candidate. I don’t have a lot of technical experience or any idea what I’d do with a design degree but the Rutgers design program looks so interesting…

1 hour ago, kaflake said:

Any advice for someone interviewing for Design? I’m genuinely shocked that the design department thought I was a good candidate. I don’t have a lot of technical experience or any idea what I’d do with a design degree but the Rutgers design program looks so interesting…

Congrats on the interview! My advice would be to open your mind to the realm where design and fine art overlap. Imagine yourself and your work in that gray area. Check out the work of the students coming out of that program as well as the work of the faculty. It seems like an interdisciplinary and modern program, I'm guessing you'll be surprised by what constitutes "design" for those artists.

No need to worry about what you'd "do with a design degree." You may end up doing exactly what you imagine doing with a visual art degree, and that's valid and reasonable.

3 hours ago, chunkeymonkey said:

I was also just wondering - I read on one of the past year's forums that you should email the faculty who interviews you to thank them etc. Does anyone actually do this in practice? 

Yes you need to initiate a paper trail. It shows you know how to 1) be professional in your practice and 2) have great communication skills. 

The below video created by a former RISD prof says you should treat grad school interviews like job interviews. A simple 'thank you' goes a long way.

youtube.com/watch?v=KEwgwfw6JAs

Edited by Font

6 hours ago, hibiscusleaves said:

I'd love to hear how it went as well. I have an interview tomorrow for Visual Communications.

It went okay, but felt kind of weird? There were 2 faculty and idk if they'd seen my work or statement prior, but they had me screenshare and go through my whole portfolio once and then they picked some pieces out to ask some questions about. They said some positive things, but I felt kind of awkward because it wasn't super structured like some other interviews I'd had, and in hindsight, I think I was supposed to sort of take the reins more, but kept expecting them to, so I stayed quiet during certain parts while they were looking at stuff, when I could have expanded more probably and taken advantage of that time. Also there was a moment where I explained something and they thought I said something else and they politely disagreed with how I was describing the work, but what they said they thought of it instead was exactly what I said so I was like noo, that is what I'm saying. ? It was cleared up, though, thankfully. I think it was loud wherever one of them was zooming from and harder to hear. 

They asked where I was from, where I went to school, what I've been doing since I graduated, what I want to accomplish in an MFA, what my work is about, and what artists I'm looking at, + some material questions about specific pieces. 

I imagine every interview is different, though, because there are so many different faculty interviewing. 

Edited by Strawberrycat
Typo

55 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

It went okay, but felt kind of weird? There were 2 faculty and idk if they'd seen my work or statement prior, but they had me screenshare and go through my whole portfolio once and then they picked some pieces out to ask some questions about. They said some positive things, but I felt kind of awkward because it wasn't super structured like some other interviews I'd had, and in hindsight, I think I was supposed to sort of take the reigns more, but kept expecting them to, so I stayed quiet during certain parts while they were looking at stuff, when I could have expanded more probably and taken advantage of that time. Also there was a moment where I explained something and they thought I said something else and they politely disagreed with how I was describing the work, but what they said they thought of it instead was exactly what I said so I was like noo, that is what I'm saying. ? It was cleared up, though, thankfully. I think it was loud wherever one of them was zooming from and harder to hear. 

They asked where I was from, where I went to school, what I've been doing since I graduated, what I want to accomplish in an MFA, what my work is about, and what artists I'm looking at, + some material questions about specific pieces. 

I imagine every interview is different, though, because there are so many different faculty interviewing. 

thank you for the info, i hope you get good news!

1 hour ago, Strawberrycat said:

It went okay, but felt kind of weird? There were 2 faculty and idk if they'd seen my work or statement prior, but they had me screenshare and go through my whole portfolio once and then they picked some pieces out to ask some questions about. They said some positive things, but I felt kind of awkward because it wasn't super structured like some other interviews I'd had, and in hindsight, I think I was supposed to sort of take the reigns more, but kept expecting them to, so I stayed quiet during certain parts while they were looking at stuff, when I could have expanded more probably and taken advantage of that time. Also there was a moment where I explained something and they thought I said something else and they politely disagreed with how I was describing the work, but what they said they thought of it instead was exactly what I said so I was like noo, that is what I'm saying. ? It was cleared up, though, thankfully. I think it was loud wherever one of them was zooming from and harder to hear. 

Strawberrycat I had a similar interview experience but with a different school. I felt like maybe I was supposed to take the reins on talking about my work, which wouldn't have been a problem, but it wasn't clear. The committee asked a lot of questions, but the questions were from a list of general questions rather than follow-up questions to what I said. At the end of the interview, I didn't gain any insight about the program, and I don't know what new things--if any--they learned about me. I have to think that maybe this is just the style of interview practice for some schools.

2 minutes ago, seelamfa22 said:

Strawberrycat I had a similar interview experience but with a different school. I felt like maybe I was supposed to take the reins on talking about my work, which wouldn't have been a problem, but it wasn't clear. The committee asked a lot of questions, but the questions were from a list of general questions rather than follow-up questions to what I said. At the end of the interview, I didn't gain any insight about the program, and I don't know what new things--if any--they learned about me. I have to think that maybe this is just the style of interview practice for some schools.

Thank you for sharing your experience with it! Interview styles really vary so much. It's always a surprise. I appreciate it when they're clear about how they want it to go...I think it's more helpful for both sides, like you mentioned.

On the flip side, I've also had ones where they ask like 5 really in depth, really great questions, but all at once and my brain is scrambling trying to keep all of the questions in mind while answering, haha. Like I can only hold so many at once, especially when I could write an essay on each question. 

Just tacking on another thing while I'm thinking about it, but I've found that when I write about my work, I search for really precise language to describe it. But I don't have a lot of opportunity to talk about those things out loud, so having to discuss the work conversationally has been a challenge. I keep getting hung up on how I wrote it and feeling kind of stiff. So I really recommend to everyone interviewing in the future to practice just casually talking about your work if you can and getting really comfortable and loose with it. 

Had UCLA interview earlier today. I was definitely a little more nervous than I had expected to be lol, but I think it went well overall! 

For those interested/interviewing, it was with 3 painting faculty. Many thorough questions, they asked what I knew of the program, if I knew any alumni, if I've ever been to LA before. Then they mentioned specific things I wrote in my statement and asked me to elaborate on them, made references to specific pieces, asked what I envisioned myself doing throughout school, and what other schools I had applied to. I guess nothing out of the ordinary, it just felt like they were being very intentional, which was maybe a little intimidating lol.

At the end of the interview they did say that they planned on having results out by March/mid-March. So a little more waiting to do.. 

Edited by Pickle95

On 2/4/2022 at 8:54 AM, lilyxia99 said:

invited to be interviewed from CMU and Calarts~ ?

so now: 

Keio Media Design(KMD)-interview

SAIC-FVNMA-rejected

Carnegie Mellon University(CMU)-Fine Arts-interview

Calarts-Experimental animation-interview

RISD-Digital media-pending

VCU-Kinetic Images-pending

UC Berkeley(UCB)-Art Practice-pending

------------

I saw a lot of threads before, and maybe I can share some thoughts on CMU.

I have known a person who went to CMU and was the assistant faculty for a semester. I am just transferring her words so it might be inaccurate. 

CMU has pros and cons. The pros is that faculties are nice, the school is generous on giving financial support (the information I got from the info session is that they cover from at least 2/3 of tuition to full tuition, tho their general tuition is high), and the three year program gives you a lot of time to do your projects. 

The cons is indeed...the atmosphere is that everyone learns coding lol, probably you will see a lot of people walking on the street who look like they are going to google or apple. Art students might feel a bit estranged, but that might be the general situation in any big university. Also, Pittsburgh is indeed a small place, which can't be compared with big cities like NYC or LA which has a lot more opportunities. 

I couldn't rephrase a lot because I am afraid of mis-interpretation, and maybe I didn't really say any valuable information...anyway, hope it could be of some help :)

Keio Media Design(KMD)-interview

SAIC-FVNMA-rejected

Carnegie Mellon University(CMU)-Fine Arts-interview

Calarts-Experimental animation-interview

RISD-Digital media-pending

VCU-Kinetic Images-interview

UC Berkeley(UCB)-Art Practice-pending

1 minute ago, LizRAE said:

Just a general question, if applications were due by the 15th of January, when do you think they would start to reach out?

It seems a bit random. So far, based on the interviews/rejections I've received so far, I don't see any correlation between due date and when they reach out. For example, I heard back from SMFA the fastest, despite their application due date being Jan 15, before hearing from any of the other schools that had earlier deadlines.