MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

3 hours ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

Has anyone heard back from FSU, UF, USF, Bard, or Syracuse yet? 

I got accepted to LCAD with a 10,000 a year scholarship and potential ta position. I don’t think that’s too bad for a two year program. And then MECA offered me 5,000 a year and a potential ta position. Was really hoping for a better offer from MECA so I don’t think I can attend. I’m really hoping FSU, USF, UF, Syracuse or Bard come through with some better offers. UF is fully funded and I can commute from where I’m currently living so I really hope I get in there.

Don't be afraid to politely counter an offer! If you get a better offer from your second or third choice, you can always craft a thoughtful email saying that you really want to attend School A, but School B offered you X amount more and that even though School A is your top choice, you are thoroughly assessing your options. Most schools have wiggle room for candidates that they really want and may be able to add a bit more money to your package. Last year I was able to get a 50% scholarship up to 80% just by sending an email. The worst they can say is no! They may ask for proof of your offer, so don't exaggerate or make anything up, just be honest and open to their response :)

22 hours ago, lilyxia99 said:

Keio Media Design(KMD)-interview

SAIC-FVNMA-rejected

Carnegie Mellon University(CMU)-Fine Arts-interview

Calarts-Experimental animation-interview

RISD-Digital media-pending

VCU-Kinetic Images-interview

UC Berkeley(UCB)-Art Practice-pending

WOW! CMU! Could you please share some of the experience of the interview? Hope you all good luck

2 hours ago, katfude5 said:

Don't be afraid to politely counter an offer! If you get a better offer from your second or third choice, you can always craft a thoughtful email saying that you really want to attend School A, but School B offered you X amount more and that even though School A is your top choice, you are thoroughly assessing your options. Most schools have wiggle room for candidates that they really want and may be able to add a bit more money to your package. Last year I was able to get a 50% scholarship up to 80% just by sending an email. The worst they can say is no! They may ask for proof of your offer, so don't exaggerate or make anything up, just be honest and open to their response :)

I’ll do that thank you! Because I was kind of shocked at how low the number was when I saw it. ?

6 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

Last year I applied to USC and got in, but couldn't attend. After speaking to them, they said that I would be accepted for this year if I wanted to be, but that I would have to submit a new portfolio and interview again to be eligible for any funding or scholarships.

Yup. The USC interview was way different this year. It was less structured and I felt compelled to really lean in on them about the cash situation, especially with COVID going on. This round it wasn't the whole gang. It was Jennifer, Ruben, Thomas, and Keith. No Edgar, and Nao is still on sabbatical. Nao is the homegirl. She's been really helpful and kind to me. Jennifer gave good funding advice, and they wanted to know what I've been up to. 

USC and L.A. are definitely where I'd like to be, but they're gonna have to kick down some REAL money this time around. Every other mid-range art school out there like Bard or UCI or VCU are funded with stipends. USC has a MASSIVE endowment in the MULTIPLE BILLIONS of dollars. Surely they can find a way to fully fund students being that they are an "elite" level school, or whatever.

If USC can't do better then I'm gonna wait a year and take my skills to San Diego State University. It would hurt because I've been counting on USC for a year and a half and have got to know the school and faculty intimately. But SDSU is great. Both my parents went to San Diego State, and I love SD. Who doesn't? Creators can learn skills anywhere, but getting the most out of grad school as a visual artist is ALL about location location location, period.

My big thing this year is gonna be about moving back to Southern Califas. I've had it with Sacramento and Northern California in general. After April I'm gonna start milling around for some more public art projects down south.

Ya knoe... Years before this, like last year even; people and programs felt energetic and exciting. This year it's all low energy and blahhh... I haven't seen anyone in these programs I'd be particularly excited to work with, and the professors haven't done much worth entertaining. Potential students artworks haven't exactly been top shelf this season, either.

I was just rejected at UCSD and I tried hard to feel upset about it. I even wrote them an email, but I just don't care. Maybe it's just me? I dunno. What if COVID's got me so down that I don't even realize I'm depressed?

C'MON USC! KICK DOWN SOME GREEN AND LET'S MAKE SOME FUKIN HISTORY!

Edited by The-Fourth-Dimension
A fly is often one floor above you.

1 hour ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

Yup. The USC interview was way different this year. It was less structured and I felt compelled to really lean in on them about the cash situation, especially with COVID going on. This round it wasn't the whole gang. It was Jennifer, Ruben, Thomas, and Keith. No Edgar, and Nao is still on sabbatical. Nao is the homegirl. She's been really helpful and kind to me. Jennifer gave good funding advice, and they wanted to know what I've been up to. 

USC and L.A. are definitely where I'd like to be, but they're gonna have to kick down some REAL money this time around. Every other mid-range art school out there like Bard or UCI or VCU are funded with stipends. USC has a MASSIVE endowment in the MULTIPLE BILLIONS of dollars. Surely they can find a way to fully fund students being that they are an "elite" level school, or whatever.

If USC can't do better then I'm gonna wait a year and take my skills to San Diego State University. It would hurt because I've been counting on USC for a year and a half and have got to know the school and faculty intimately. But SDSU is great. Both my parents went to San Diego State, and I love SD. Who doesn't? Creators can learn skills anywhere, but getting the most out of grad school as a visual artist is ALL about location location location, period.

My big thing this year is gonna be about moving back to Southern Califas. I've had it with Sacramento and Northern California in general. After April I'm gonna start milling around for some more public art projects down south.

Ya knoe... Years before this, like last year even; people and programs felt energetic and exciting. This year it's all low energy and blahhh... I haven't seen anyone in these programs I'd be particularly excited to work with, and the professors haven't done much worth entertaining. Potential students artworks haven't exactly been top shelf this season, either.

I was just rejected at UCSD and I tried hard to feel upset about it. I even wrote them an email, but I just don't care. Maybe it's just me? I dunno. What if COVID's got me so down that I don't even realize I'm depressed?

C'MON USC! KICK DOWN SOME GREEN AND LET'S MAKE SOME FUKIN HISTORY!

Good luck with all of it, the funding game is not a fun one to have to navigate, that's for sure. Sorry about UCSD, but it sounds like whatever happens you have some clear goals set out and that SDSU would be a great option for you if it doesn't work out with USC this year. I think the pandemic has definitely taken a toll on all of us in some way, so it's okay to feel down for a while. Maybe something new will come from it. 

1 hour ago, AlyPet said:

Just wondering...  Is it normal to get no bites the first year of applying?  I'm still waiting on Pratt, but I was flat out rejections nearly 100%.

It's def not out of the ordinary.  Applying is a weird process and there are a ton of factors that go into decisions. Definitely apply again next year if it doesn't work out this time. If you want someone to look over your materials, I'd be happy to let you know what I think might help, but it could have just been bad luck with time/place this round. Where all did you apply? 

5 hours ago, ORRI said:

WOW! CMU! Could you please share some of the experience of the interview? Hope you all good luck

My interview is yet to come ? mine is on 26th. But I do have interviewed KMD, and the interview is just asking very specific question about the portfolio, like the difficulties and what I found in the process, which are really easy to answer as you must have very deep feelings about those. 

1 hour ago, Strawberrycat said:

It's def not out of the ordinary.  Applying is a weird process and there are a ton of factors that go into decisions. Definitely apply again next year if it doesn't work out this time. If you want someone to look over your materials, I'd be happy to let you know what I think might help, but it could have just been bad luck with time/place this round. Where all did you apply? 

Yale, SAIC, RISD, UCLA, and Pratt.  Personally I feel the size of my paintings were the biggest drawback and that I do exclusively watercolor.  I'll take you up on the review offer, but in a few months.  I'm scrapping my entire portfolio and going larger and more for myself rather than for a university.

1 hour ago, lilyxia99 said:

My interview is yet to come ? mine is on 26th. But I do have interviewed KMD, and the interview is just asking very specific question about the portfolio, like the difficulties and what I found in the process, which are really easy to answer as you must have very deep feelings about those. 

Oh I see. Thank you for sharing. It might have been a good answer! :) 

17 hours ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

Has anyone heard back from FSU, UF, USF, Bard, or Syracuse yet? 

I got accepted to LCAD with a 10,000 a year scholarship and potential ta position. I don’t think that’s too bad for a two year program. And then MECA offered me 5,000 a year and a potential ta position. Was really hoping for a better offer from MECA so I don’t think I can attend. I’m really hoping FSU, USF, UF, Syracuse or Bard come through with some better offers. UF is fully funded and I can commute from where I’m currently living so I really hope I get in there.

The folks from Syracuse got back to me and said they're finalizing their decisions on the 16th so a few days after that... good luck!

7 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

You should definitely be able to negotiate more money with MECA. I did last year and I’m planning on doing it again this year.

Cool I hope they give you more too. I really liked the school but can’t swing the almost 40k tuition

30 minutes ago, abceramics said:

The folks from Syracuse got back to me and said they're finalizing their decisions on the 16th so a few days after that... good luck!

Cool thank you for letting me know and good luck to you too! Did they interview you?

6 minutes ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

Cool thank you for letting me know and good luck to you too! Did they interview you?

No problem! No, I didn't get an interview. Not sure what to make of that... I went to the program and met a bunch of faculty and have kept in touch with the grad panel so I'm honestly not sure if they aren't doing interviews or I just didn't make the cut LOL

7 minutes ago, abceramics said:

No problem! No, I didn't get an interview. Not sure what to make of that... I went to the program and met a bunch of faculty and have kept in touch with the grad panel so I'm honestly not sure if they aren't doing interviews or I just didn't make the cut LOL

Lol I’m not sure either. I haven’t done any interviews yet but I got a couple acceptances so I’m not sure what’s up with the schools this year. Maybe they just feel like they know you really well and don’t think an interview is necessary if you got in? I hope you get in tho!

8 hours ago, AlyPet said:

Yale, SAIC, RISD, UCLA, and Pratt.  Personally I feel the size of my paintings were the biggest drawback and that I do exclusively watercolor.  I'll take you up on the review offer, but in a few months.  I'm scrapping my entire portfolio and going larger and more for myself rather than for a university.

AlyPet hang in there - Pratt is still reviewing and will be reaching out to applicants this second half of the month. I haven’t heard from RISD either but I think that means no interviews if no news by now. 

20 hours ago, Eric from America said:

@_redrabbit7 @1800goodluck @lamentyung I applied a couple years ago at Columbia. Applications were due Jan. 15, and then on Feb. 18 they sent an email asking me to interview. All interviews were on the same day, March 12, either in person or online. This was for New Genres; my memory is that the other disciplines' interviews were also on the same day. So, if they are on a similar timeline this year, you might hear in a week.

Alright, Eric. Thanks for the feedback!

9 minutes ago, whitewhales said:

AlyPet hang in there - Pratt is still reviewing and will be reaching out to applicants this second half of the month. I haven’t heard from RISD either but I think that means no interviews if no news by now. 

Oh. I had my RISD interview last week Wednesday and according to the dates given to me Wednesday February 9th was the last day of interview. Are you sure you didn't miss their emails? Can you reach out to them?

Edited by _redrabbit7

7 minutes ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

Lol I’m not sure either. I haven’t done any interviews yet but I got a couple acceptances so I’m not sure what’s up with the schools this year. Maybe they just feel like they know you really well and don’t think an interview is necessary if you got in? I hope you get in tho!

Well I certainly hope that's the case for us both! Haha. Thank you and I hope you do too ?

Just now, _redrabbit7 said:

Oh. I had my RISD interview last week Wednesday and according to the dates given to me Wednesday February 9th was the last date of interview. Are you sure you didn't miss their emails? Can you reach out to them?

Hi Red Rabbit. I know it’s funny so many people mentioned how the RISD invites were going to their promotions or spam folders ?? I have kept checking them neurotically. I think it’s a nope from them, it’s ok I was expecting that. How did your interview go? Congratulations! What programs are you applying in? 

I know a few people on here had SAIC interviews maybe you can check earlier posts.. just a page back or two or three.. forums are exploding I can’t keep up. 

10 minutes ago, whitewhales said:

Hi Red Rabbit. I know it’s funny so many people mentioned how the RISD invites were going to their promotions or spam folders ?? I have kept checking them neurotically. I think it’s a nope from them, it’s ok I was expecting that. How did your interview go? Congratulations! What programs are you applying in? 

I know a few people on here had SAIC interviews maybe you can check earlier posts.. just a page back or two or three.. forums are exploding I can’t keep up. 

Oh. I am surprised and sorry to hear that some people's invites went into their spam folders. Also sorry to hear you didn't get an invite. I can't explain how bad I felt too when I got a straight rejection from Yale two weeks ago. 

My interview? I honestly can't tell, although a part of me thinks I don't stand a chance coz I applied without even holding a bachelor's. I guess I'm hoping for the best and prepared for the worst. They told me they only select 10 applicants for their painting program? I wonder how many like me were shortlisted for the interviews.  

Will go pages back to read what other SAIC applicants wrote ...

Edited by _redrabbit7

Just now, _redrabbit7 said:

Oh. I am surprised and sorry to hear that some people's invites went into their spam folders. Also sorry to hear you didn't get an invite. I can't explain how bad I felt too when I got a straight rejection from Yale two weeks ago. 

My interview? I honestly can't tell, although a part of me thinks I don't stand a chance coz I applied without even holding a bachelor's. I guess I'm hoping for the best and prepared for the worst. They told me they only select 10 applicants for their painting program? I wonder how many like me were even shortlisted for the interviews.  

Don’t be sorry Red Rabbit, it’s ok! This forum has really helped me learn a lot and is so supportive in these crazy anxious times. 

(I got a straight rejection from Yale too, a few of us did - but that’s a scar a lot of people deal with, don’t feel too bad about it..)

Getting an interview with RISD is amazing, and brings you so close to getting in, don’t downplay it you should totally be proud and celebrate it. I’m sure you did very well - I don’t think they interview many people so definitely give yourself a pat on the back and keep that confidence up for SAIC. ???