MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

7 hours ago, worldcleft said:

Congrats! I think you are gonna love Yale. The graphic design programme is insanely creative! Even if parts of it ultimately aren't your cup of tea it will still be an incredible education + resource base where you'll be challenged by your cohort. You'll also just be spoilt for choice in terms of other offerings around the university for a more holistic education.

Thank you very much!! Are you a current student? 

44 minutes ago, hibiscusleaves said:

Thank you very much!! Are you a current student? 

Nope — but I was lucky enough to do a junior year abroad there, and know at least one person who graduated from the art programme. I heavily stalk the school and what its people are up to lol. it’s hard to beat its overall educational environment outside of the art school — like you’d want your work to have context. It’s not without its flaws Ofc, being a bastion of privilege, but I do see efforts to move in better directions.

Edited by worldcleft

Just now, worldcleft said:

Nope — but I was lucky enough to do a junior year abroad there, and know at least one person who graduated from the art programme. it’s hard to beat its overall educational environment outside of the art school — like you’d want your work to have context. It’s not without its flaws Ofc, being a bastion of privilege, but I do see efforts to move in better directions.

oh, amazing. im super excited, thanks!!

23 hours ago, worldcleft said:

Has anyone ever got into a programme, started it, realised it wasn't a good fit, and then switched out? Are you allowed to apply to other college while a full-time student? What's the sort of protocol there? I'm a bit nervous about how programmes are amid covid upheavals, even if covid seems to be abating (you never know...). What happens if you received funding to attend?

This happened to me last year.. I started at UMass Amherst because the full ride/stipend/insurance was too good to pass up. When I got there I realized that the program was in complete shambles, so I left after 3 weeks. They didn't really give me a hard time or guilt me about funding. I had a feeling that this may happen, so I immediately emailed the school that was my 1st choice originally seeing if I could transfer ASAP. It turned out that they did not accept spring semester transfers, and that I had to reapply with everyone else this year. Luckily they were very nice and understanding, so I will be starting at BU Painting in the fall.

Some schools will accept spring semester transfers, but not many. You are totally allowed to apply to other schools as a full-time student! I don't know if I would advise asking current faculty for recommendations since it might cause some tension, but nothing says you can't change your mind. 

Edited by katfude5

15 hours ago, seelamfa22 said:

With my heart set on other schools, this week I officially declined admission offers at RISD (painting) and CCA. RISD offered me a fellowship that would have covered about 60% of tuition. CCA offered me $48k scholarship. 

Congratulations! I’m glad you got the school your heart is set on! Thank you for declining early it gives people on the waitlist like me hope lol when did you let them know

15 minutes ago, Ponygurl said:

Congratulations! I’m glad you got the school your heart is set on! Thank you for declining early it gives people on the waitlist like me hope lol when did you let them know

I wrote them last weekend. Good luck, and I hope you get in! 

Hello, this is my first post here and I'm kind of nervous because of the results..  I'm waitlisted in RISD M + D and this is my top choice.. So I'm trying to think about other options/program but I'm overwhelmed with the offers I got. 

SAIC Art & Tech - admitted

Pratt Interactive Arts - admitted (with a scholarship)

NYU ITP - admitted

The New School Design and Tech - admitted (with a scholarship)

Columbia -- I haven't heard from them since the interview. 

1 hour ago, Shade54 said:

Hello, this is my first post here and I'm kind of nervous because of the results..  I'm waitlisted in RISD M + D and this is my top choice.. So I'm trying to think about other options/program but I'm overwhelmed with the offers I got. 

NYU ITP - admitted

Unless you come from hella money I would go with either of the schools that offered scholarships. Don't fall into the trap like a lot of artists do, RISD along with Yale, Columbia, and other schools...aren't worth it....don't fall for the prestige. No one should be going 70k+ in debt for a masters in any art field. There's plenty of fully funded graduate programs...be smart. 

2 hours ago, Shade54 said:

NYU ITP - admitted

Have you reached out to risd about being on the waitlist? Do you know if they rank

6 hours ago, whywouldiputmyrealname said:

Unless you come from hella money I would go with either of the schools that offered scholarships. Don't fall into the trap like a lot of artists do, RISD along with Yale, Columbia, and other schools...aren't worth it....don't fall for the prestige. No one should be going 70k+ in debt for a masters in any art field. There's plenty of fully funded graduate programs...be smart. 

I have already a scholarship from an institution in my country. So the money is not the issue. 

I’m really lean towards NYU but I feel it's not gonna be beneficial for PhD. Because it's not research-based.. 

Hi,

I just discovered this thread,

these are the schools I applied to 

University of Nebraska - rejected

Uark- (MDes Graphic Design) still waiting 

UF- (MXD Rejected)

KSU- (MFA Graphic design)rejected

FSU-( MFA studio art(digital media) interviewed,  final round of applicants

EIU- (MA Arts )-Accepted awaiting funding decision 

UW-Madison- MFA Stidio Art (GD) Rejected

GSU- (MFA GD) said I’m on the waitlist

I am an international student. First degree is in Fine Arts(painting) , PgDip in Marketing.

I would like to know is anyone has gotten information on GSU MFA Graphic Design, I can’t go through this anxiety again?.

20 hours ago, Shade54 said:

NYU ITP - admitted

Congrats on those acceptances @Shade54! Several of those (RISD D+M, SAIC Art & Tech, NYU ITP, Columbia) were ones that were part of my decision making process when I applied a couple years ago. All highly respected programs where you probably can't really go wrong with any of them. Here's my brief thoughts:

If RISD D+M is your definite top choice, where you would say "yes" in a heartbeat if they offered you a spot off their waitlist, make sure they no-doubt-about-it know that!

When it comes to deciding who to contact off the waitlist, I'd suspect any school would rather invite someone they know will 110% accept vs someone who might take weeks to decide and ultimately turn them down, so then they have to ask someone else, wait a few more weeks, etc.

If you want to talk further, I'm happy to over DM. Congrats again.

4 hours ago, lamat said:

Hi, I have a warning for anyone thinking about attending UW-Seattle: a TERF is in the first year MFA cohort. I heard she has been a disruptive presence/bully. It's a really small program, so beware. 

Can you please describe the types of disruption and bullying as well as the situations going on in your department at UW-Seattle? What does your faculty say about it? Has this feminist been reprimanded?

If a woman chooses to advocate for naturally born women it doesn't mean that they are anti-trans. I don't actually know anyone who's anti-trans, but ones personal feelings about a very small slice of society shouldn't be the defining reason to judge them to be bullies, unless it's warranted and they are actually bullies. Despite what we feel, everyone cannot think the same as we do. Heck, I work with rednecks sometimes when I weld or work with metals or carpentry. Rednecks think in their own hokey way. Some love Trump. Who cares? They aren't me. I feel the way I do, they feel the way that rednecks do. And life goes on.

Also, try to remember that these are Art programs, not elite clubs filled with untouchables that must adhere to the status quo where everyone must fall in line and believe in the same thing like a bunch of clones. Take a good look at how some of the finest artists felt about politics and society. Look up the political and social leanings of Orson Scott Card or Wagner or Leonardo Da Vinci. Artists are not perfect, FAR from it.

How do you and your cohort at Seattle deal with this situation?

Do you have rock-solid proof of your allegations of bullying and abuse within your department that can be cross-verified with staff, faculty, and the student body? If you do, then you can take it to the dean. If the dean sees something wrong then it should be dealt with, post-haste. If it's just a situation where a few people don't like another person and treats them badly because of the way they believe; that's called discrimination and bullying and slander.

I really hope it's not all bad. Maybe it's just a case of needing something to do and minding their own business? Perhaps people can redirect their focus to where it should be, on their own art, instead of someone else's point of view.

Please always remember the old adage: Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." It's real. Sometimes in life you just gotta do you and let other people do them.

Please give details. I'm interested in what's going on at your school and I hope you guys have a positive way to direct your energies. I appreciate it.

1 minute ago, thefifthdimension said:

LOL @The-Fourth-Dimension. Are you fucking kidding me? God, good luck to your cohort for having to deal with you. Because the last few months in this forum with you have been exhausting enough for me.

This forum has a secret power where you can ignore people. I even have that power in REAL LIFE!

It's easy to be happy and make a better world for all. It's much more aggravating to be angry at everything and try to make the world into something that adheres to your standards, only. That's fascism, and I don't go for that.

If you're still miserable in this latest iteration of your numerous sock accounts where you continue to chase me around and have opinions, then I can't help you other than to say... You do you. I'll do me.

I genuinely hope you feel better and find some peace. ??