2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

1 minute ago, smallcrown said:

Oh - wow. I thought that was illegal. That's frustrating. But at least you have an offer.

It's not exactly like I have to accept by that date, but the implication that if I don't accept by that date then there could be delays in them processing my visa, etc. There's always that threat hanging over International Students, especially from the Global South. 

1 minute ago, sbidyanta said:

It's not exactly like I have to accept by that date, but the implication that if I don't accept by that date then there could be delays in them processing my visa, etc. There's always that threat hanging over International Students, especially from the Global South. 

Yeah - makes sense. How many days do you have left till you have to accept the offer?

I'm just sitting here, hoping for any kind of positive signal. ?

Yeah - makes sense. How many days do you have left till you have to accept the offer?

I'm just sitting here, hoping for any kind of positive signal. ?

I have till the 18th, so till the end of next week. Hopefully I have an update till then. I have assumed a soft rejection from Northwestern, and I don't really care about FIU now, so 5 more universities to actually hear back from (including an update on the waitlist at Temple).

I have till the 18th, so till the end of next week. Hopefully I have an update till then. I have assumed a soft rejection from Northwestern, and I don't really care about FIU now, so 5 more universities to actually hear back from (including an update on the waitlist at Temple).

That's something. I haven't applied at your schools so I don't know when they usually send out their emails - do you have an idea which ones you should have heard from till next week? 

That's something. I haven't applied at your schools so I don't know when they usually send out their emails - do you have an idea which ones you should have heard from till next week? 

I don't really know. Most of these (apart from USC) had their deadlines mid January, so I guess they may take their sweet time. USC usually releases late February, so again I might be out of luck. Although I don't really think I'm a competitive enough candidate for USC. Tbh, at this point I consider myself lucky to have any offer at all. Apart from that, the only one I'm really looking forward to is UNL, since it'd be a really good fit for me. 

5 minutes ago, sbidyanta said:

Hey, I have a similar issue about the visa. Why do you have until 18th if you don't mind telling me? (You don't need to be too specific). I thought I could wait until the end of February to make a decision and start the visa paperwork, but I may be missing something. 

4 minutes ago, sbidyanta said:

I don't really know. Most of these (apart from USC) had their deadlines mid January, so I guess they may take their sweet time. USC usually releases late February, so again I might be out of luck. Although I don't really think I'm a competitive enough candidate for USC. Tbh, at this point I consider myself lucky to have any offer at all. Apart from that, the only one I'm really looking forward to is UNL, since it'd be a really good fit for me. 

UNL acceptances seem to be all over the place - but some on the 13th and 14th of February. So that might even work out. Fingers crossed. 

1 minute ago, Avocado_town said:

Hey, I have a similar issue about the visa. Why do you have until 18th if you don't mind telling me? (You don't need to be too specific). I thought I could wait until the end of February to make a decision and start the visa paperwork, but I may be missing something. 

I'm not really sure if I'm allowed to say things from my offer letter, but I guess no one from the department administration is lurking here.

Basically it says (quoting) "please consider that it
is imperative to return the documents in time in order to ensure that all documents required to process your visa application are present."

Unless your offer letter has something similar, don't fret about it. 

1 minute ago, phdhell said:

Do you think schools that had Dec1st deadlines should be out this week or next? Feel like it’s been so long 

I totally think they should be. I don't really get why they say on their website that we can 'expect decisions 4-6 weeks after the application deadline' - and here we are, shivering 9 weeks later. 

6 minutes ago, sbidyanta said:

I'm not really sure if I'm allowed to say things from my offer letter, but I guess no one from the department administration is lurking here.

is imperative to return the documents in time in order to ensure that all documents required to process your visa application are present."

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think they really cannot ask for a decision this early. If you're funded, the visa process is not that hard... so it really doesn't make sense to ask a decision this early, so maybe they are just pressuring you? I think you could tell them you're still waiting to hear back from other programs and that you'd like more time to evaluate your offers...

1 minute ago, CapTipps said:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think they really cannot ask for a decision this early. If you're funded, the visa process is not that hard... so it really doesn't make sense to ask a decision this early, so maybe they are just pressuring you? I think you could tell them you're still waiting to hear back from other programs and that you'd like more time to evaluate your offers...

I would have, but I'm afraid of somehow offending them and then them withdrawing the offer (I know, I know, it sounds crazy). But getting an offer means that much to me, and I don't wanna do anything that might make me lose the only funded offer I have. 

15 minutes ago, sbidyanta said:

I see, thanks for sharing it. My letter didn't mention anything about that, but I'll check the international applicant page.

I would have, but I'm afraid of somehow offending them and then them withdrawing the offer (I know, I know, it sounds crazy). But getting an offer means that much to me, and I don't wanna do anything that might make me lose the only funded offer I have. 

From what I've read so far, you can accept an offer and still go to a different school if you get a better offer over there. It's a bit frowned upon because it creates more work of course - but they can't keep you there if you want to go somewhere else.

Does anyone know when Yale typically sends out offers/rejections? I've been trying to find information from last year. I was surprised to learn that they receive 600+ applications, and their application deadline is later than the Dec 1 programs (like Princeton, Harvard, etc.), so I'm guessing it's going to be later this month...?

9 minutes ago, natsecguy said:

Does anyone know when Yale typically sends out offers/rejections? I've been trying to find information from last year. I was surprised to learn that they receive 600+ applications, and their application deadline is later than the Dec 1 programs (like Princeton, Harvard, etc.), so I'm guessing it's going to be later this month...?

According to this link with a database of decisions till 2020 you can expect something in mid or late February.

https://martindevaux.com/2020/11/political-science-phd-admission-decisions/

42 minutes ago, sbidyanta said:

Maybe this is an unpopular thought, but you should (very politely) ask for an extension. If they say no, take the offer on the last day if you don't hear from a better school. Don't withdraw your apps. If somewhere you'd rather go admits you after, reneg on the school that gave you 2 weeks. Schools that are predatory like that don't deserve the courtesy of you withdrawing your apps after accepting their predatory offer. 

1 minute ago, uncle_socks said:

Maybe this is an unpopular thought, but you should (very politely) ask for an extension. If they say no, take the offer on the last day if you don't hear from a better school. Don't withdraw your apps. If somewhere you'd rather go admits you after, reneg on the school that gave you 2 weeks. Schools that are predatory like that don't deserve the courtesy of you withdrawing your apps after accepting their predatory offer. 

+1

12 minutes ago, uncle_socks said:

Thanks, I'll probably do that.