2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

5 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

Thanks buddy, hope you will hear good news soon! Why it has a chance of going into waitlist b/c its not top 10?

I just feel like when you apply to 10-15 schools chances are that GU is not the top choice. The POI in my waitlist email told me it's really common for them to go on the waitlist, so there's a reasonable chance I got in. He probably sent you a similar choice, but it sure sounded like there was still hope.

5 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

Thanks buddy, hope you will hear good news soon! Why it has a chance of going into waitlist b/c its not top 10?

Greater chance because people who get into higher ranked schools are unlikely to attend GU. Princeton, as a top department, knows that it is the top choice for many of its admits and few will turn down the offer. Some of those people may also hold GU admits. GU is a great place, but less likely that it is the first choice for many of the people they admit.

7 minutes ago, jjiffy said:

Greater chance because people who get into higher ranked schools are unlikely to attend GU. Princeton, as a top department, knows that it is the top choice for many of its admits and few will turn down the offer. Some of those people may also hold GU admits. GU is a great place, but less likely that it is the first choice for many of the people they admit.

thanks for clarification, I really hope those princeton admits etc decline or withdraw other schools they will never ever go asap, because some programs may not set an explicit waitlist machinsm, and an early decline from applicant may indeed give others oppotinuties. 

Edited by modesteffect

1 minute ago, modesteffect said:

thanks for clarification, I really hope those princeton admits etc decline other admits asap, because some programs may not set an explicit waitlist machinsm, and an early decline from applicant may indeed give others oppotinuties. 

Yeah my fingers are super crossed for you. Receiving all these waitlists is kind of bizarre and I really hope you get an admit soon. 

9 minutes ago, jjiffy said:

Yeah my fingers are super crossed for you. Receiving all these waitlists is kind of bizarre and I really hope you get an admit soon. 

Thanks and i think i may enter an awkward situation. higher ranks may think i am less qualified and lower ones think i am over-qualified. 

plus, i am not hearing anything from duke, rochester, ucla, nyu, which i think are all waitlists, just they dont notify 

Edited by modesteffect

2 minutes ago, moomagoo said:

For those who've heard from NYU and Georgetown, did your online portal update at all?

Nope, nothing on NYU's portal. As I understand, the Department recommended my admission to the Graduate School, which handles the portal. They probably still have to process a lot of stuff before getting the decision up there. Most programs seem to work like that.

Just reached out to my PoI at Georgetown, who referred me to the admissions director. It sounds like the admissions committee met today, and they're slowly rolling out decisions. I wouldn't lose hope if you haven't heard from Georgetown yet.

Here's his response: 

[to me],

Thanks for writing.

The admissions committee met today, and we are currently working through their recommendations. We expect to have answers to most applicants within the next few weeks.

Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

Ciao,
[admissions director]

11 minutes ago, kmccorm2 said:

Just reached out to my PoI at Georgetown, who referred me to the admissions director. It sounds like the admissions committee met today, and they're slowly rolling out decisions. I wouldn't lose hope if you haven't heard from Georgetown yet.

Here's his response: 

[to me],

Thanks for writing.

The admissions committee met today, and we are currently working through their recommendations. We expect to have answers to most applicants within the next few weeks.

Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

Ciao,
[admissions director]

I dig the "ciao" send off.

33 minutes ago, Paul123fasd said:

Hy guys! For those of you who got into the waitlist for GU, did you get an email from the dgs or poi? If poi, did you reach out to them first?

I also see an acceptance at Georgetown on the survey page and was notified by the poi. Do you think official acceptances are out then?

It was not my POI but the person I interviewed with. He reached out to me to let me know what was going on.

29 minutes ago, sbidyanta said:

Got accepted at UNL, but waitlisted for funding. They said they would give me an update within a week. Anyone else got a funded acceptance? 

Congrats! How were you notified?

1 hour ago, Paul123fasd said:

Hy guys! For those of you who got into the waitlist for GU, did you get an email from the dgs or poi? If poi, did you reach out to them first?

I also see an acceptance at Georgetown on the survey page and was notified by the poi. Do you think official acceptances are out then?

it's poi not dgs, and no reach out, but interviewed.

Got an offer from University of Utah, fully funded, yearly renewal. I'll still think a bit before making the decision, but I'll most likely decline the offer. Salt Lake City is fairly expensive, and the stipend is less than what Cincinnati is offering me. 

Anybody else receive an email from the the UGA DGS re: being waitlisted? They let me know I’m ranked pretty high and have a good chance of being admitted, but I just need to wait the process out. For those accepted to UGA and not planning on going, please decline your offer soon!

19 minutes ago, hawnsay said:

Anybody else receive an email from the the UGA DGS re: being waitlisted? They let me know I’m ranked pretty high and have a good chance of being admitted, but I just need to wait the process out. For those accepted to UGA and not planning on going, please decline your offer soon!

Interesting. Did they say anything else? 

2 hours ago, modesteffect said:

thanks for clarification, I really hope those princeton admits etc decline or withdraw other schools they will never ever go asap, because some programs may not set an explicit waitlist machinsm, and an early decline from applicant may indeed give others oppotinuties. 

and not give those schools you definitly wont go false hope.

2 hours ago, smallcrown said:

Interesting. Did they say anything else? 

They received nearly 100 apps and five offers of admission have been made so far. I might not be updated on a final decision for another month or two. Apparently my they found my app to be very strong, may be able to offer me a slot, and if so, they'd be thrilled for me to join this fall. That basically summarizes the entirety of the email.