2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

QQ: if you're invited to an in-person open house by a school where you're admitted and they don't mention reimbursements for travel costs, do you assume that you're paying for your own travel? (Obviously happy to contact the department but I figured this might be one of those things that other people just know and I don't!)

17 minutes ago, pbspoon said:

QQ: if you're invited to an in-person open house by a school where you're admitted and they don't mention reimbursements for travel costs, do you assume that you're paying for your own travel? (Obviously happy to contact the department but I figured this might be one of those things that other people just know and I don't!)

uh Duke should be paying for you. Maybe less well-endowed state schools might make you pay out of pocket, but Duke absolutely should be paying, and have paid in the past. I'd give department admin a quick email to ask. 

On 2/17/2022 at 2:54 PM, EstherBritoAbrio said:

Hi everyone - Im not sure if this is the place to ask, but if its okay, I was hoping to ask any American students if 25k is enough to survive in DC? Im not a person with any real financial resources, so will be dependent on the PhD stipend to survive. Im a bit nervous and cant really accept if I wont be able to maintain myself 

You can ask current students.

When I was in grad school, the DGS had sent us an email asking how much we spent on rent (and whether they shared, where they lived), to create some cost estimates for accepted students.

(I was not in DC. What I'm saying it's better to just ask SEVERAL students there and it's a common question.)

Edited by MrsPhD

5 hours ago, hanginthereJoan said:

Hi everyone—

I’m still waiting for results from USC, UCLA, UIUC, JHU, Northwestern, Georgetown and UNC. Should I assume its a reject?? Are any of you guys still waiting from these schools?

I'm still waiting for UCLA. I applied to UCLA last year and was rejected on 3/9 last year. It was the only program I applied to last year, and that's the reason why I'm here now. A friend of mine was accepted to USC last year, and she received the notification on 2/23. If my memory is correct, USC gave about 15~18 offers and there were about 200 applicants. (Not sure whether the statistics is correct, so the accurate acceptance rate should be checked with the department.) Good luck to everyone!

4 minutes ago, SofaPotato said:

I'm still waiting for UCLA. I applied to UCLA last year and was rejected on 3/9 last year. It was the only program I applied to last year, and that's the reason why I'm here now. A friend of mine was accepted to USC last year, and she received the notification on 2/23. If my memory is correct, USC gave about 15~18 offers and there were about 200 applicants. (Not sure whether the statistics is correct, so the accurate acceptance rate should be checked with the department.) Good luck to everyone!

I heard last Wednesday. Accepted. I'm political theory. Wouldn't count yourself out yet though.

3 minutes ago, moomagoo said:

Also waiting, pretty sure they haven't given any word yet ?

Crazy right? Thought for sure it would be today and I haven't seen anything from anyone. I looked more broadly at their acceptances on here and someone in PBSB said they were accepted last Friday minutes before the end of the day so I guess I'll keep sweating here.

6 hours ago, hanginthereJoan said:

Hi everyone—

I’m still waiting for results from USC, UCLA, UIUC, JHU, Northwestern, Georgetown and UNC. Should I assume its a reject?? Are any of you guys still waiting from these schools?

I'm still waiting for JHU and Northwestern. I'm assuming a rejection from Northwestern but not JHU (yet). There have only been 2 JHU posts on the results page, and there are usually more acceptances than that each year (2021 was an exception but that may have been a pandemic thing). So I'm holding out hope they're going by subfield and not all the acceptances are out yet. That may be wishful thinking, though.

19 minutes ago, phduntome said:

I heard last Wednesday. Accepted. I'm political theory. Wouldn't count yourself out yet though.

Congrats to your admission! I'm in comparative and methods. I tend to assume it's an implicit rejection for me at UCLA. Because I already have another offer from one of my favorite programs, I think I could just wait patiently without anxiety :) 

Edited by SofaPotato

1 minute ago, SofaPotato said:

Congrats to your admission! I'm in comparative and methods. I tend to assume its an implicit rejection for me at UCLA. Because I already have another offer from one of my favorite programs, I think I could just wait patiently without anxiety :) 

Thanks! That's the best way to go. I was roundly rejected last year and sweated it the whole way through. This year my first one was an acceptance and it has made things so much easier (comparatively speaking). Based on people's postings this seems to be a better year all around for acceptances so let's hope there's more good to come!

1 hour ago, SofaPotato said:

Congrats to your admission! I'm in comparative and methods. I tend to assume it's an implicit rejection for me at UCLA. Because I already have another offer from one of my favorite programs, I think I could just wait patiently without anxiety :) 

I assume you're talking about Rochester? It was the very first school I put on my list - I'm ecstatic! 

9 hours ago, pbspoon said:

I'm still waiting for JHU and Northwestern. I'm assuming a rejection from Northwestern but not JHU (yet). There have only been 2 JHU posts on the results page, and there are usually more acceptances than that each year (2021 was an exception but that may have been a pandemic thing). So I'm holding out hope they're going by subfield and not all the acceptances are out yet. That may be wishful thinking, though.

I got accepted by JHU...

Just out of curiosity...if you are admitted into Duke why do you still bother to check upon JHU? What is your subfield? I mean, at least in Poli Sci, I think, Duke is way better (but of course JHU is also a good school and I am grateful that I got in, but it is just not as good as Duke), and I don't even have the ball to apply to it...

Will you really consider going there if you ve already had an offer from Duke at hand?

Just a quick question, 

Have any of you received an admission, but have not heard from your POI? 

I am currently only contacting with the Graduate Program Coordinator, but have not received any email from my POIs. 

Is this a typical situation? Should I wait until the visiting event to meet some of my POIs? Or should I contact them? 

1 hour ago, cest_la_vie said:

Just a quick question, 

Have any of you received an admission, but have not heard from your POI? 

I am currently only contacting with the Graduate Program Coordinator, but have not received any email from my POIs. 

Is this a typical situation? Should I wait until the visiting event to meet some of my POIs? Or should I contact them? 

From one of the universities I've received an offer, I first heard from another professor of the same field. Several days later I received an email from one of my POI and we had a meeting after that. I haven't heard from my other POI of that same University.

From the other university, I have exchanged emails with another professor of the same field, but not with my POI. 

So I think it depends on each university and each professor.