2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

On 2/2/2022 at 11:59 PM, VTVJ24 said:

Does anyone have any opinions on the BC program? I was admitted there recently with a great stipend but am well aware that their US News ranking is a little low?

BC is great for Theory - but nothing else it seems.

For those who have already been accepted to their dream schools but still waiting on few results, have you already emailed your withdrawal from the application process, or would you wait to be notified of your (potential) acceptance first?

18 hours ago, phduntome said:

Cornell anyone?? I'm dying here. They wouldn't possibly notify over the weekend would they? Anyone have word from Ithica?

I am also applying to Cornell and haven't heard anything for myself. But a friend of mine also applied there and this is what he/she (just don't wanna give away the gender information) has been through:

In early January when he/she was trying to send them some updated materials, they told he/she that there is no need as he/she was not in the shortlist...so guys they had a shortlist already in Januray...

In Feburary they approached he/she again and ask if he/she still wants to be considered for MPA/MPP, because he/she indicated on the application system that if the PhD application was unsuccessful, he/she would like to be considered for MPA/MPP.

This is all I know. Good luck to all.

38 minutes ago, sbidyanta said:

For those who have already been accepted to their dream schools but still waiting on few results, have you already emailed your withdrawal from the application process, or would you wait to be notified of your (potential) acceptance first?

Definitely wait. Sometimes your dream school can become a nightmare... I already changed my mind about some programs just from the experience I have been having with meetings, talking with grad students, and everything else during recruitment season. So, unless you're positive you're not going to a program (no matter what), I would still wait for results and at least have a meeting with the DGS before withdrawing and/or declining offers. Additionally, if you got a competitive offer from the schools you're still waiting for, you can use that to negotiate a better offer somewhere else... Anyway, just my opinion!

1 hour ago, LM2022 said:

I am also applying to Cornell and haven't heard anything for myself. But a friend of mine also applied there and this is what he/she (just don't wanna give away the gender information) has been through:

In early January when he/she was trying to send them some updated materials, they told he/she that there is no need as he/she was not in the shortlist...so guys they had a shortlist already in Januray...

In Feburary they approached he/she again and ask if he/she still wants to be considered for MPA/MPP, because he/she indicated on the application system that if the PhD application was unsuccessful, he/she would like to be considered for MPA/MPP.

This is all I know. Good luck to all.

Long-time lurker here.  I think this "shortlist" may be pretty long ...... It could be very likely that they had removed only those with very low GPAs or TOEFL scores (given GRE is not required this time) by early January, which means there were still many applicants in the shortlist.  If they had had a pretty short shortlist, Cornell would have released their first round of admission offers by late January or early February instead of keeping the applicants waiting till now. 

26 minutes ago, Fredphd2022 said:

Long-time lurker here.  I think this "shortlist" may be pretty long ...... It could be very likely that they had removed only those with very low GPAs or TOEFL scores (given GRE is not required this time) by early January, which means there were still many applicants in the shortlist.  If they had had a pretty short shortlist, Cornell would have released their first round of admission offers by late January or early February instead of keeping the applicants waiting till now. 

Your reasoning makes sense. The shortlist must be very preliminary. But if that is the case, I would be very surprised because I think my friend's creditential is pretty good and I cannot imagine how he/she can be removed just because of GPA or TOEFL scores, as he/she aced these things. Cornell is really much more competitive than I can ever imagine.

10 hours ago, LM2022 said:

I got accepted by JHU...

Just out of curiosity...if you are admitted into Duke why do you still bother to check upon JHU? What is your subfield? I mean, at least in Poli Sci, I think, Duke is way better (but of course JHU is also a good school and I am grateful that I got in, but it is just not as good as Duke), and I don't even have the ball to apply to it...

Will you really consider going there if you ve already had an offer from Duke at hand?

@LM2022 I'm a theorist, so JHU is actually slightly higher ranked than Duke. I'd likely choose Duke over JHU even if I got into both (which is looking unlikely!) for a few reasons, but I'd still happily talk to faculty and grad students at JHU. That being said, I take your point, and I think a lot of this for me is just psychological--I want to know where I'm in or not, and I also want to get into more than 1 program (not true yet) so that I at least feel like I have options, even if I already know where I'd rather go. That isn't totally rational, but it's definitely how I'm feeling! (Plus I am very anxious about Yale, which is my true top choice, and feel like getting all these rejections is a bad sign--also not necessarily rational!)

Edited by pbspoon

11 hours ago, moomagoo said:

Claiming a Penn acceptance!!! Ah!!! I’m so freaking excited lol got an email just before midnight from faculty

Congratulations! What subfield? Does it appear for you on the portal as well? Asking because I applied their too and nothing is appearing for me, just want to know if I should consider that a rejection. 

51 minutes ago, second-time said:

Congratulations! What subfield? Does it appear for you on the portal as well? Asking because I applied their too and nothing is appearing for me, just want to know if I should consider that a rejection. 

Thanks! For IR, but I actually applied to a joint program with Poli Sci so I wouldn't worry, I think it was just a one off email to notify me because I have a unique situation. I have no update officially on my portal, it was just a professor reaching out to congratulate me on my acceptance to the dual program. Don't think they've released anything for the department generally yet!

1 hour ago, pbspoon said:

@LM2022 I'm a theorist, so JHU is actually slightly higher ranked than Duke. I'd likely choose Duke over JHU even if I got into both (which is looking unlikely!) for a few reasons, but I'd still happily talk to faculty and grad students at JHU. That being said, I take your point, and I think a lot of this for me is just psychological--I want to know where I'm in or not, and I also want to get into more than 1 program (not true yet) so that I at least feel like I have options, even if I already know where I'd rather go. That isn't totally rational, but it's definitely how I'm feeling! (Plus I am very anxious about Yale, which is my true top choice, and feel like getting all these rejections is a bad sign--also not necessarily rational!)

It's like you're speaking to my situation. I have one acceptance (BU), two waitlists. And four rejects. I have 5 schools still pending. I like the program at BU (otherwise wouldn't have applied), but I get scared about my Academic job market prospects when I read people harping on the importance of T10-20 rankings for job placements.

My anxiety is through the roof as I too would just like to feel that I have options. PLUS, I'm a bit worried about Boston high cost of living. I'm trying to remain hopeful, but rejections are destabilizing my cool. ?

1 hour ago, moomagoo said:

Thanks! For IR, but I actually applied to a joint program with Poli Sci so I wouldn't worry, I think it was just a one off email to notify me because I have a unique situation. I have no update officially on my portal, it was just a professor reaching out to congratulate me on my acceptance to the dual program. Don't think they've released anything for the department generally yet!

Was this for the comms & poli sci joint program? If so, I'm curious as I also applied for this

Hi lovelies! I just asked Georgetown to take me off their waitlist! Didn't want to keep those waiting to hear from them hanging. Good luck to y'all! My subfield was CP/methods so fingers crossed for all the CP applicants waiting for their decision from them. I'm rooting for you guys.

Hi guys I have a quick question: what should I do after getting admitted? I was accepted by a PhD program and I think my chances at better programs are slim, so I will probably go there. However, they only emailed me the offer letter and didn't mention anything about things like virtual visit, which makes me wonder if they have a virtual visit for admitted students. I have also seen some posts mentioning that they were contacted by POIs during or shortly after the admission process, but this didn't happen to me. Should I reach out on my initiative? If I should, to whom should I reach out? Graduate Program Director? Current Students? POIs? And what should I ask? I am sorry if these questions look silly or stupid, but this is the first time I got admitted into a PhD program so I really don't know what should I expect...

46 minutes ago, LM2022 said:

Hi guys I have a quick question: what should I do after getting admitted? I was accepted by a PhD program and I think my chances at better programs are slim, so I will probably go there. However, they only emailed me the offer letter and didn't mention anything about things like virtual visit, which makes me wonder if they have a virtual visit for admitted students. I have also seen some posts mentioning that they were contacted by POIs during or shortly after the admission process, but this didn't happen to me. Should I reach out on my initiative? If I should, to whom should I reach out? Graduate Program Director? Current Students? POIs? And what should I ask? I am sorry if these questions look silly or stupid, but this is the first time I got admitted into a PhD program so I really don't know what should I expect...

There's no such thing as a stupid question -- maybe stupid answers lol -- I'll try to do my best here.

Some programs take a while to reach out to students after sending the offer letter. So, if your acceptance was recent, maybe they'll be reaching out in the next week or the week after. However, no problem to contact them if you're willing to: I would probably email the DGS or Director of Admissions (some programs don't have this second role) and ask them about next steps, virtual visits, or if they could put you in contact with POIs and/or some grad students there. Alternatively, if you already know a POI there, you could reach out to the POI directly (but I guess it's not the case). Anyway, hope this helps!

On 2/19/2022 at 1:12 AM, moomagoo said:

Claiming a Penn acceptance!!! Ah!!! I’m so freaking excited lol got an email just before midnight from faculty

Penn State? If so, they must be spreading out decisions. I got an offer from PSU February 3rd... If UPenn, you are the first acceptance this year I think. This process is just so perplexing.

12 minutes ago, Eliza1820 said:

Penn State? If so, they must be spreading out decisions. I got an offer from PSU February 3rd... If UPenn, you are the first acceptance this year I think. This process is just so perplexing.

UPenn! But yeah I had a unique situation, I think the department still has yet to announce officially

33 minutes ago, LatinAmericanFootball said:

I had no idea lol that's good to know. So tomorrow will probably be a slow day again, right? Expecting Tuesday to be busy then...

I think it depends on the school. For instance, my current university does not close/give off for Presidents Day.

Edited by bmo103

Good morning people!! Another week to trudge through. I'm just listening to Sugar Crash on repeat to see after how many times the lyrics stop slapping so hard. Probably never.

Hope you all fine folks get the results you wish!! Especially for those without an acceptance yet, I'm rooting for all of you!! 

17 hours ago, CapTipps said:

There's no such thing as a stupid question -- maybe stupid answers lol -- I'll try to do my best here.

Some programs take a while to reach out to students after sending the offer letter. So, if your acceptance was recent, maybe they'll be reaching out in the next week or the week after. However, no problem to contact them if you're willing to: I would probably email the DGS or Director of Admissions (some programs don't have this second role) and ask them about next steps, virtual visits, or if they could put you in contact with POIs and/or some grad students there. Alternatively, if you already know a POI there, you could reach out to the POI directly (but I guess it's not the case). Anyway, hope this helps!

Thanks for the detailed reply!