2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

31 minutes ago, Agape9453 said:

UMD waitlisted again...,

CP and received the same status last year, good luck to you all!

Also claiming a UMD Waitlist for the CP subfield! 

17 minutes ago, SchnozEP said:

Put on waitlist too. Is there anyone know what the chance is a UMD waitlist will be transfered to an admission offer?

Equally wondering the same thing! 

2 minutes ago, PoliCommsGirl said:

Also claiming a UMD Waitlist for the CP subfield! 

Equally wondering the same thing! 

Do you get any admission offer?

I was a little bit disappointment about the waitlist actually. I prepared a much better SOP and WS but the result is same. Sad.

And it seems they send out so many waitlist and the chance is super rare. Double Sad!

1 minute ago, SchnozEP said:

I was a little bit disappointment about the waitlist actually. I prepared a much better SOP and WS but the result is same. Sad.

And it seems they send out so many waitlist and the chance is super rare. Double Sad!

Indeed, I agree that the chance of the waitlisted being admitted in the end is slim.

Sharing application/admit rates of some schools in 2020 (a normal year), so future applicants can feel which are compeltitve ones which are less.

Michigan:  357/6% (2021 - 595/3%)

Chicago: 394/6%

Stanford:  349/7%

MIT:  400/9% (2021 - 752/3.6%)

Cornell:  325/9%

Yale: 400/11% (2021 - 933/2.7%)

UCSD:  349/12%

Duke:  355/13%

Madision:  211/17%

UCLA:  224/21%

WUSTL: 106/25%

Emory:  112/25%

OSU:  160/36%

Edited by modesteffect

3 minutes ago, SchnozEP said:

Sorry  not understanding the first question, you mean any other admission offers? If so, then yes  just one for now. 

I'm also pretty bummed. I had a VERY good case for UMD. Seeing so many on the waitlist is discouraging, and depending on where else those who got admitted to UMD also got admitted, I'm unsure of the chances. 

I'm also very worfied about the "balancing research/subfield" part of it which I take to mean that I'm not getring in unless someone from CP specifically declines. Idk.

For everyone who is claiming a UMD waitlist--are you all IR/Comparative?

I only saw one admit for UMD on Valentine's Day (also IR/Comparative I think). But surely they must admit more than one? /It stands to reason that they would already know who is admitted if they are sending out waitlists (or would have already sent out acceptances).

2 minutes ago, Fredphd2022 said:

Indeed, I agree that the chance of the waitlisted being admitted in the end is slim.

I guess so. Last year, I received a WL from UMD in late Feb (27th). A few weeks later, mid-march, I got another letter asking me to consider their MA program, and I didn't reply. A rejection was finally made a couple of days after the previous notification(late-march). 

2 minutes ago, Quriosity said:

For everyone who is claiming a UMD waitlist--are you all IR/Comparative?

I only saw one admit for UMD on Valentine's Day (also IR/Comparative I think). But surely they must admit more than one? /It stands to reason that they would already know who is admitted if they are sending out waitlists (or would have already sent out acceptances).

CP here. I hadn’t seen the Valentine’s Day acceptance, and thought the UMD waitlist was a little out of the blue. I suppose that puts it a little bit more into context. Also, super surprised that I haven’t heard to schools I applied to in December, yet have already heard from UMD which was January! The PhD process remains a mystery…

1 minute ago, Publicpolicyguy37 said:

CP here. I hadn’t seen the Valentine’s Day acceptance, and thought the UMD waitlist was a little out of the blue. I suppose that puts it a little bit more into context. Also, super surprised that I haven’t heard to schools I applied to in December, yet have already heard from UMD which was January! The PhD process remains a mystery…

CP too. I didn't see any UMD acceptance on the result page but indeed someone claimed here.

14 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

Sharing application/admit rates of some schools in 2020 (a normal year), so future applicants can feel which are compeltitve ones which are less.

Thank you! Do you know where this list comes from?

51 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

super curious where you found Stanford, MIT, Emory, and OSU rates (esp the first two!). It's been a while since I've searched for them but I don't recall finding those on my own. 

I also want to point out that schools that removed the GRE are more likely to get more "junk" applications -- I'm not yet convinced that like, it's now twice as hard to get into Michigan or Yale. GRE isn't the end-all-be-all, but to say that it's uncorrelated with what adcoms like to see would be untrue. I'm guessing that a lot of the schools that have gone GRE optional have gotten more low-quality apps from people thinking that without the GRE they stand a chance. 

For all those who were waitlisted for UMD - What are your subfields and how were you notified? Based on the results page, it seems like the majority of waitlist post were in the CP/IR subfield.

Rooting for all of us!

1 minute ago, IAMK said:

I am on CP. I received the waitlist by email. I think they sent all e-mails for the waitlists. 

Thanks for the response. Based on what I've been reading on the forum and results pages, I wonder if ALL waitlist notifications have been sent or if it was just for the specific subfields since I haven't seen anyone from AP claim a waitlist. 

12 minutes ago, DanTheGrad said:

Thanks for the response. Based on what I've been reading on the forum and results pages, I wonder if ALL waitlist notifications have been sent or if it was just for the specific subfields since I haven't seen anyone from AP claim a waitlist. 

Same boat here. But I'm also getting the sense that there are also just way more people interested in CP/IR than AP (at least on this forum).