2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

Has USC sent their acceptances? I didn't receive any email from them, and my portal isn't showing anything. 

Edit - This is in context of the acceptance on the results page

Edited by sbidyanta

2 hours ago, sbidyanta said:

Has USC sent their acceptances? I didn't receive any email from them, and my portal isn't showing anything. 

I have not heard anything from USC or received an update to my portal just yet, but crossing my fingers for today. Their website said mid-feb, so hopefully, its sometime this week.

___

Has anybody emailed the program to see if their timeline was pushed back? 

3 minutes ago, DanTheGrad said:

I have not heard anything from USC or received an update to my portal just yet, but crossing my fingers for today. Their website said mid-feb, so hopefully, its sometime this week.

___

Has anybody emailed the program to see if their timeline was pushed back? 

@DanTheGrad have you still not heard back from Michigan? I thought they put out decisions a while ago at this point

8 minutes ago, sswimky said:

@DanTheGrad have you still not heard back from Michigan? I thought they put out decisions a while ago at this point

I applied to the joint PubPol/PoliSci program at UMich. The program said final decisions will go out at the end of Feb/early March.

Just now, natsecguy said:

Still waiting on Yale. Seems like they wait till the very last day of Feb for most decisions. That would mean Monday, Feb 28, I suppose... another weekend of anxiety!

Congrats to everybody who got into their top choice schools. Looks like @honeymoowis a fellow Harvard/gov applicant!

On the survey results page it seems like Yale has usually released results around today/yesterday, so there is still hope that they'll come out sometime this week!

10 hours ago, texistence said:

Political theorist (critical theory and erotic theory).

Anyone with insight on UConn and Florida's programs?

I go to UF for undergrad and took classes with some of the theory faculty. I particularly enjoyed the ideologies course taught by Dr. O'Neill and I've heard ok reviews about Dr. Gutierrez (though I've never taken a class with him). I also took a class with Dr. Perez Muñoz but I just didn't find his way of teaching very engaging at all. I am not sure how any of these professors might translate as advisors since my experience with the theorists here was as an undergrad. I would say that theory is not UF's strong suit, as that would probably have to be American Politics, but UF still does have a lot of connections available if you look for them. If you have any specific questions you can PM me!

3 hours ago, sbidyanta said:

Also have not heard anything from USC -- fingers crossed!

52 minutes ago, fallingballoons said:

I go to UF for undergrad and took classes with some of the theory faculty. I particularly enjoyed the ideologies course taught by Dr. O'Neill and I've heard ok reviews about Dr. Gutierrez (though I've never taken a class with him). I also took a class with Dr. Perez Muñoz but I just didn't find his way of teaching very engaging at all. I am not sure how any of these professors might translate as advisors since my experience with the theorists here was as an undergrad. I would say that theory is not UF's strong suit, as that would probably have to be American Politics, but UF still does have a lot of connections available if you look for them. If you have any specific questions you can PM me!

Thanks for the information! Thankfully, at the graduate-level, it is my understanding the theorists have a more pronounced role in the core curriculum.

Will contact you in a bit.

I just received an email from USC that I have an incomplete application - official transcripts. I remember reading their website in detail when I applied and it said that I didn't need them when submitting my app... I wonder if this is a sign?

Edited by polyglotaspiring

Just now, Au_DD said:

USC is one of those unis that weirdly require official transcripts when applying. They even make you submit them with a USC 'cover letter' (provided on their website. - it's very strange. 

I guess I missed that requirement when applying -- don't remember anything about a cover letter though? I do remember having to fill out a lot of different sections for their app.

2 minutes ago, polyglotaspiring said:

I guess I missed that requirement when applying -- don't remember anything about a cover letter though? I do remember having to fill out a lot of different sections for their app.

It really was not clear to me either. I only found out about this requirement two weeks after submitting my application causing me to panic. 

From their website: 

"

1. Whenever possible, you must upload scanned copies of official transcripts to the online application. Please note that these must be official transcripts printed on university letterhead. Print-outs from online student portals are not acceptable.
  2. After you submit your application and received your 10 digit USC ID number, you must also mail in official transcripts from all colleges, universities, and other post-secondary institutions you have previously attended. NOTE: If you are an applicant to a Viterbi School of Engineering program, please click here for specific transcript guidelines.

Cover sheet: We recommend that you fill out the “College/University Transcript Cover Page” and send it to the registrar’s office of each post-secondary institution you have attended. Although it is not mandatory, including it along with your USC ID number will help us match your transcripts to your file as quickly as possible."