2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

59 minutes ago, blueskies58 said:

Did anyone here apply to the Harvard Ph.D. in Government and Social Policy? I know the Harvard offers for Government went out already, but haven’t heard anything from the SPOL program yet and curious whether anyone has received an application decision yet. 

Do you mean the program in HKS? I applied for public policy track and got rejection around last week.

3 minutes ago, newinthefield said:

Do you mean the program in HKS? I applied for public policy track and got rejection around last week.

I think it’s separate from the Public Policy program. It’s administered by HKS but you take classes mostly with the students in the Government department.

On 2/26/2022 at 4:43 PM, polisciboy said:

Does anyone know when NYU or UCLA will let people know if they're on the waitlist? I'm also wondering about Duke, but I see some people have already been notified of this so I'm guessing I was just flat out rejected there

I'm waiting on those exact 3 places as well lol, should we just email and ask at this point?

4 hours ago, blueskies58 said:

Did anyone here apply to the Harvard Ph.D. in Government and Social Policy? I know the Harvard offers for Government went out already, but haven’t heard anything from the SPOL program yet and curious whether anyone has received an application decision yet. 

Hi BlueSkies58,

I applied to the very same program and haven't yet heard back either. It's tricky to know what to expect since, as you said, it mainly means taking classes with government students despite the diploma being from GSAS, so I expected accepts/rejects at the same time as HKS results, but it seems quite unpredictable.

The survey section shows a negligeable number of admissions over the past years (but more rejections), so it's tricky to come up with an educated guess as to their timeline. However, overall it doesn't seem unusual not to have a result (positive or negative) before the second week of March for this program.

16 hours ago, politely_curious said:

Hi BlueSkies58,

I applied to the very same program and haven't yet heard back either. It's tricky to know what to expect since, as you said, it mainly means taking classes with government students despite the diploma being from GSAS, so I expected accepts/rejects at the same time as HKS results, but it seems quite unpredictable.

The survey section shows a negligeable number of admissions over the past years (but more rejections), so it's tricky to come up with an educated guess as to their timeline. However, overall it doesn't seem unusual not to have a result (positive or negative) before the second week of March for this program.

Thanks - glad to know I'm not the only one who's trying to figure out what to expect! Like you said, the survey section is pretty sparse for this program so it sounds like it's just a waiting game at this point. 

1 hour ago, sfsdfdfsfdfsd said:

Anyone heard back from Penn?..

They said they would be realizing decisions no later than Feb 28... I'm still waiting tho

Someone received an unofficial acceptance from a POI on Friday. So I guess decisions should be out soon.

Just waiting on Penn and the Harvard rejection to finally end my cycle 

4 hours ago, TiberiusG said:

Question for UCLA admits: have you received any information on how to join the virtual preview days session on Thursday/Friday?

I emailed the program coordinator yesterday. She said I hadn't missed any correspondences and info should be out soon when she finishes scheduling faculty interviews. I hope that helps!

Mason decisions are in! No email, just randomly checked the portal.

I have a few questions- the acceptance letter didn't say anything about who to contact to understand the funding situation. Does anyone know who I should email?

Also, I'm still waiting on GTown and JHU. Has anyone heard back from these schools?

20 minutes ago, F Y said:

I have a few questions- the acceptance letter didn't say anything about who to contact to understand the funding situation. Does anyone know who I should email?

Also, I'm still waiting on GTown and JHU. Has anyone heard back from these schools?

I checked on this and it said that the funding decisions (for RA/TAships) are made separately, so I would expect to hear back in a couple weeks on that. It did have the email for the academic advising contact in the decision letter, but you could also check with masongrad@gmu.edu.

Edited by Quriosity
said email instead of decision letter

17 minutes ago, F Y said:

If the program has a Director of Admissions, you should reach out to them. If not, the DGS if probably the best person to reach out!

34 minutes ago, F Y said:

I think JHU has not only sent out the admits but also the rejections. If you have heard nothin from them yet, I would say that s a good sign: maybe you are on a waitlist but they just didn't tell you that.

1 hour ago, LM2022 said:

I think JHU has not only sent out the admits but also the rejections. If you have heard nothin from them yet, I would say that s a good sign: maybe you are on a waitlist but they just didn't tell you that.

Definitely hoping for an admit there! And congrats on your acceptance to JHU!