2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

17 minutes ago, sswimky said:

Also is anyone else still waiting on NYU..? I am still and it is physically painful

yeah, there were a few people earlier in the thread who emailed NYU and just got generic responses. Does anyone here claim the waitlist on the results page?

25 minutes ago, coffeecoffee365 said:

Hi! I got an email saying I was waitlisted about a week ago, but nothing has been updated on the portal for me so far.

Same here. I received an email but there's still no official portal update.  Georgetown's Open House is this Friday (March 18th).  Wait listed applicants are invited.  Unfortunately, this means that if you haven't heard from anybody at Georgetown, the news is probably not good. Good luck to everyone! 

48 minutes ago, sswimky said:

AP!

Thanks! I also emailed them and got a reply about the waitlist ranking! I'm an IR applicant.

24 minutes ago, phdhell said:

@sswimkythanks so much! did u get the impression that they were running a big waitlist?

For me, not really. Based on what I've heard about my ranking, it could be that the waitlist is small, or I was lucky enough to make it to the top of the waitlist. Not sure which one is true. I think if you're an IR applicant, you might have a decent chance of getting in, because I think most schools tend to admit more IR students compared to the other subfield. However, I'm not optimistic about funding. UCLA seems to accept people without funding.. and on their website, it says that some students pay tuition. (It was a post about in-state vs out-state tuition.. that itself means that there are some students who pay to get their PhD). For me, I think getting off the waitlist without funding means nothing. I would probably reject the offer. The fact that I'm on the waitlist and UCLA is known to have very limited funding for PhD students, I'm pretty sure I'm at the very end of the line for funding. 

Hello everyone, firstly congrats on your acceptances! You deserve them.

I have been waitlisted (unofficially) by McGill, so if anyone wishes to not take up their offer, please let them know. :)

It is my second cycle and I do not have any offers currently. Hoping against hope that something comes up. ?

Regarding the NYU MA offer. Is it their default offer to give a discount on the tuition or does this actually imply some form of interest from their side? Also, how impactful is a program like this for applying to their own PhD again? Any experiences? For context, I am European with more of an Econ/CS background interested in their social network and political econ faculty.

Edited by Lubbi

3 hours ago, Lubbi said:

Regarding the NYU MA offer. Is it their default offer to give a discount on the tuition or does this actually imply some form of interest from their side? Also, how impactful is a program like this for applying to their own PhD again? Any experiences? For context, I am European with more of an Econ/CS background interested in their social network and political econ faculty.

If you have funding to support the other 50% of tuition and the life in NYC, it could be a great opportunity. But I do think that a MA, for instance, in eco or data science, would be a better background to apply to phd programs with high quant approach. I would suggest to speak with current and former MA students and faculty members to assess whether this option would work given your interests. 

PS: For the extent that I know, the MA students do not have the 50% discount. 

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on the forms since the beginning of this cycle, and its been really helpful to hear everyone's experiences with this process and to know I am not alone. Thanks everyone.

I was wondering, for those of you who have contacted potential universities to ask about their decision timeline, how exactly did you go about doing that? I'm just worried about sounding impatient or rude. I wanted to avoid emailing them about this, but I'm starting to think that I should, especially now that it is so late in the admissions cycle and I have not heard anything yet. 

Edited by brightestblue

40 minutes ago, brightestblue said:

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on the forms since the beginning of this cycle, and its been really helpful to hear everyone's experiences with this process and to know I am not alone. Thanks everyone.

I was wondering, for those of you who have contacted potential universities to ask about their decision timeline, how exactly did you go about doing that? I'm just worried about sounding impatient or rude. I wanted to avoid emailing them about this, but I'm starting to think that I should, especially now that it is so late in the admissions cycle and I have not heard anything yet. 

I think you can be very direct, you're on your right to ask about that!

Something like:

Dear XXX,

I just wanted to follow up and ask whether you have any status updates regarding the [Program] Ph.D. admissions. I look forward to hearing any updates as they’re available.

Thank you for your time!

Regards,

XXX

23 hours ago, Agape9453 said:

I just received a letter that USC is sending out decisions to those who haven't heard from them in 48-72 hours. 

I hope this message works for those awaiting! 

Hi, did you email USC to ask or did they just informed you? And does it include decisions for masters application? Endless waiting OMG...

8 hours ago, urban_lucid said:

Hi, did you email USC to ask or did they just informed you? And does it include decisions for masters application? Endless waiting OMG...

Nah, but I was rejected a couple hours ago. A canned letter posted on the portal.

best wishes to you! 

On 3/15/2022 at 5:13 AM, sswimky said:

Also is anyone else still waiting on NYU..? I am still and it is physically painful

Same here, waiting for NYU Steinhardt... Any sign?