(Canada 2022) MPP/MPA Applications

On 5/9/2022 at 4:14 PM, whatthefriction said:

Has anyone who accepted at Calgary gotten any further instructions? I've paid my deposit and sent my final transcript but I don't know what to do next or when to sign up for classes. Also does anyone know if there's a Facebook group? 

Not me but maybe email Jessie? She’s super helpful imo. 

On 5/20/2022 at 9:02 AM, BTF said:

It's as hard as reading their admission requirements

Do you know how many students they accept each year or how long they take to answer? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am planning on applying to the Master's program in this specialization this year and I am having a hard time narrowing my options down! Currently my top choice is Carleton but I am wanting two other options as backup! Any advice/guidance would be appreciated!

19 hours ago, rosethorn said:

Hi guys,

I am planning on applying to the Master's program in this specialization this year and I am having a hard time narrowing my options down! Currently my top choice is Carleton but I am wanting two other options as backup! Any advice/guidance would be appreciated!

You're asking the person that replies to assume a lot. Are you just looking for the best program? Where do you want to work/what do you want to do? Where are you from? How feasible is your entry, aka what are your stats? I need some more info before I comment. But yeah, Carleton has a great program so that a good choice. 

9 hours ago, bgormo said:

You're asking the person that replies to assume a lot. Are you just looking for the best program? Where do you want to work/what do you want to do? Where are you from? How feasible is your entry, aka what are your stats? I need some more info before I comment. But yeah, Carleton has a great program so that a good choice. 

Hi! 

Sorry, yes I know it was a bit broad. I am looking for the top programs, and I am from Saskatchewan! I would want to get into public policy/administration, and I am at about a 3.3 GPA.

2 hours ago, rosethorn said:

Hi! 

Sorry, yes I know it was a bit broad. I am looking for the top programs, and I am from Saskatchewan! I would want to get into public policy/administration, and I am at about a 3.3 GPA.

I'll direct you to this thread -- I think it answers your question quite well. Essentially, there isn't one best school. Instead, it all depends on your career goals. Assuming that the 3.3 GPA is on a 4.0 scale and thus a B+, just off the top of my head, I think you qualify for applying (B+ being the minimum grade you can have to apply) for most schools but that being said a B+ isn't competitive for sought after schools like Carleton and U of T. I was waitlisted this cycle at U of T with an 84% (~3.6/4.0 GPA I think) average over my last two years. I can't really predict where you will get in considering I don't know you or your experience but I hope the thread I linked is helpful. 

5 hours ago, sho.xo said:

Congrats!  Do you mind if I ask for your stats?  

I am currently a BA student doing an honours program in international development studies with minors in communications and economics, my cGPA is a 3.58 and my L2 is 3.82. Extenuating circumstance in first year makes my cGPA more forgivable I think. No work experience, will not be approved for graduation from my undergrad until August 2022. A lot of leadership experience on campus and summer internships and fellowships throughout my undergrad. 

6 minutes ago, RadahnFestival said:

I finally received an offer from the Queens MPA program! Anybody know any groups/chats for the MPA 2022 class? Also my offer letter doesn't mention a scholarship, does anybody know who I can/should email about that? Thanks

You likely did not receive any funding. To my knowledge, all funding goes to first round offers. Queens also does not offer much funding to MPA students.

Ask the graduate administrator about it.

On 6/15/2022 at 2:26 PM, BTF said:

You likely did not receive any funding. To my knowledge, all funding goes to first round offers. Queens also does not offer much funding to MPA students.

Ask the graduate administrator about it.

I got my offer last week and I was told I will be notified about funding by the end of June. Seems like it is not only for first round offers but should be mentioned in the offer. 

On 6/18/2022 at 8:56 AM, ajbf2000 said:

I got my offer last week and I was told I will be notified about funding by the end of June. Seems like it is not only for first round offers but should be mentioned in the offer. 

I'll email them about this but the offer letter on the website about my application status did not mention any funding unfortunately ?

• 2 months later...

Hii everyone. I am an international student looking to apply for MPA for the 2023-2024 term. I have a 7.6/10 CGPA. My current college list is Carleton, Waterloo and Carlgary. I am not eligible to Ottawa, Toronto, Queens since they need a GRE/GMAT. Are there any other universities I should look to apply since I am not confident in my GPA. Besides I have 1 year experience though it is of civil litigation. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Diggi.

On 9/4/2022 at 10:33 AM, diggi said:

Hii everyone. I am an international student looking to apply for MPA for the 2023-2024 term. I have a 7.6/10 CGPA. My current college list is Carleton, Waterloo and Carlgary. I am not eligible to Ottawa, Toronto, Queens since they need a GRE/GMAT. Are there any other universities I should look to apply since I am not confident in my GPA. Besides I have 1 year experience though it is of civil litigation. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Diggi.

1. Most of the universities you mention do not look at CGPA for MPA/MPP admissions, they look at your last two years, or the equivalent in your last 20 one semester/term courses. If your grades were better in your last two years of your degree then you may be okay.

2. Carleton, Waterloo, and Calgary are very different programs in very different places, you should read about these programs, understand where they differ, and where you're likely to end up with their degree.

3. Unrelated to your post: It's good you have some experience but you just mentioned it in passing. Is there a particular reason you want to get a MPP/MPA from one of these schools? Or why you want to get an MPP/MPA in general? It's important to answer these questions in your statement of intent. Otherwise it just comes across that you're applying everywhere and hoping someone takes you.

4. Look up Canadian MPA/MPP programs, it isn't difficult to create a list of schools. Ryerson, York, Alberta, Manitoba, UBC, SFU, etc. all offer MPP/MPA programs.

5. Don't double post/ create a new thread when no one responds.

6. Proof read before posting.