(Canada 2022) MPP/MPA Applications

Hey everyone!

My name is Mackenzie and I am the president of the School of Public Policy and Administration (SPPA) Student Society at Carleton University. I'm a current Carleton MPPA student and am happy to answer as many questions as you have about the application process, funding, co-ops, student life, work-life balance, opportunities, etc at Carleton.

Even if you're not thinking of Carleton in your decision, I hope this forum can be a good resource for prospective students to connect and support one another!

Best of luck - y'all got this!!

Mackenzie M.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mackenzie! 

Thanks for starting this thread. I have a few questions:

1. How has your experience been thus far? 
  2. Do you think scores alone will form the majority of the decision for admission? Example: If a competitive average is 78%, but one gets 90% or close to 4.00, is it as clear cut as that?
  3. Since you've been accepted, could you provide some data as to what sort of profiles are accepted (With respect to your cohort)?

Thanks!

On 11/21/2021 at 8:22 AM, Joseph_Eze said:

Hi Mackenzie! 

Thanks for starting this thread. I have a few questions:

2. Do you think scores alone will form the majority of the decision for admission? Example: If a competitive average is 78%, but one gets 90% or close to 4.00, is it as clear cut as that?
  3. Since you've been accepted, could you provide some data as to what sort of profiles are accepted (With respect to your cohort)?

Thanks!

Not Mackenzie, but I can answer the same questions.

Mixed, but mostly positive. Some courses are rough, some are average, some are amazing. Most professors were lovely. 

GPA matters, anyone who says otherwise is lying to you. Is it the sole admission factor? No. Does it play a big role? Yes. It plays an even bigger role for funding decisions.

Most people work for the government, some work for non-profit/think tanks (like myself), and a few go to private sector or pursue more schooling. A lot of people come to program from varying disciplines (I suppose more so from poli sci than anything else though) and experiences. Most people have above an 80% GPA in their last two years. Meeting that cutoff is important to being a competitive applicant. Yes, people get in with lower but far more get in with above. Be in the latter category.

Edited by BTF

On 11/26/2021 at 6:00 AM, BTF said:

Not Mackenzie, but I can answer the same questions.

Mixed, but mostly positive. Some courses are rough, some are average, some are amazing. Most professors were lovely. 

GPA matters, anyone who says otherwise is lying to you. Is it the sole admission factor? No. Does it play a big role? Yes. It plays an even bigger role for funding decisions.

Most people work for the government, some work for non-profit/think tanks (like myself), and a few go to private sector or pursue more schooling. A lot of people come to program from varying disciplines (I suppose more so from poli sci than anything else though) and experiences. Most people have above an 80% GPA in their last two years. Meeting that cutoff is important to being a competitive applicant. Yes, people get in with lower but far more get in with above. Be in the latter category.

Hi BTF! 

Thanks for sharing. The reason why I ask is because most people have this thought in their minds. Even those with high scores (>85%) worry because of certain factors that they do not have control over. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I am planning to apply for MPPA 2022 fall, and I wonder when should I submit the application. Are applications processed on a rolling basis? Wondering if there is any advantages with respect to admission if I apply as early as possible. 

Also, would you guys recommend international students to go for the MPPA program in Carleton? I am not aiming for job in federal public service as I don't have a citizenship, maybe I will consider career in NGO/think tank. Are there better option other than Carleton? As I saw most of their coop positions are in the federal public service.

Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 12:15 PM, Y N said:

Hi guys!

I am planning to apply for MPPA 2022 fall, and I wonder when should I submit the application. Are applications processed on a rolling basis? Wondering if there is any advantages with respect to admission if I apply as early as possible. 

Also, would you guys recommend international students to go for the MPPA program in Carleton? I am not aiming for job in federal public service as I don't have a citizenship, maybe I will consider career in NGO/think tank. Are there better option other than Carleton? As I saw most of their coop positions are in the federal public service.

Thanks!!

1. When should I submit the application? and are applications processed on a rolling basis?
Submit before the funding deadline, usually before the hard deadline. Some schools use rolling admissions and others do not, I submitted applications (Carleton, UofT, and Queens) in November and received offers in late February (Carleton, Queens) and early March (UofT).

2. Should international students go to Carleton's MPPA program?
Depends. Carleton's MPPA places most students in federal public service and some outside the federal public service (like myself). Other schools, like UofT, place a lot of their students in the private sector, well, more than Carleton's MPPA program. Do your research about each school's placement rate and where recent graduates typically end up (use LinkedIn to find this information). Coop is one of the few ways international students can get into the federal public service, not that its what you're after, but it's something to consider.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:15 PM, Y N said:

Hi guys!

Thanks!!

Why YN! Completely agree with what BTF said above! 

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact the SPPA Society at sppasociety@cunet.carleton.ca 

- Mackenzie

19 hours ago, Svenpai said:

Why YN! Completely agree with what BTF said above! 

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact the SPPA Society at sppasociety@cunet.carleton.ca 

- Mackenzie

Mackenzie, why are you using a different account? Haha!

In any case, BTF has solid information. The man knows his stuff.

4 hours ago, Joseph_Eze said:

Mackenzie, why are you using a different account? Haha!

In any case, BTF has solid information. The man knows his stuff.

Thanks man, if you have any other questions feel free to message me.

On 1/19/2022 at 12:11 PM, FiggiGrad said:

Hi! 

I also applied to UofT's MPP and Queen's MPA program. I am also anxiously waiting to hear back! 

Did you attend Queen's MPA QnA on Jan 18th? 

Prof. Kathy was transparent and mentioned the dates after a prospective student asked. She mentioned that they will only begin reviews in February 2022, and they endeavour to finish the first round of reviews on the 18th of February for first round cleaning and offers. They will send it out roughly in early March and by mid April. They will then have 2nd round checks and will proceed from there till May. 

That's all I remember, might have missed a few things from that session.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:31 AM, sharingan1999 said:

Hi everyone! Starting a thread for all who have applied to the MPP/MPPA programs for Fall 2022.

I applied to UofT MPP & X Uni's MPPA back in mid-December and anxiously waiting to hear back!  

X Uni as in formerly Ryerson right? Have they gotten back to you? I've heard nothing thus far!

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, FromE said:

Hi,

I applied to Dal, Queens, and Carleton for MPA/MPPA on Jan 10th. I heard back from Dal on feb 11 saying I was accepted. I have to let them know by march 3rd so I'm hoping Queens will send out offers relatively soon.

Ask for an extension because you're waiting on other schools. Alternatively, call the other schools and ask about your pending application since you already have an offer but would like to go to their school if admitted.

Did anyone else need to send an official transcript to Queens university? I got a message on my application file under the document status saying "Unofficial transcript uploaded. Please have the issuing University send the official transcript...." I'm confused because the website says an unofficial transcript is okay for the application until you accept.

30 minutes ago, FromE said:

Did anyone else need to send an official transcript to Queens university? I got a message on my application file under the document status saying "Unofficial transcript uploaded. Please have the issuing University send the official transcript...." I'm confused because the website says an unofficial transcript is okay for the application until you accept.

Call and ask about it

1 hour ago, ThisisB said:

Anyone apply for Uvic or SFU’s program? Any idea of when we will hear back?

I applied to both. Not sure but if I remember correctly someone posted in another thread saying they got to accepted to sfu in March.

Has anyone's application status changed for Queen's application? I remember reading something about them changing it from 'Application Submitted' to 'Application Reviewed'. Just wondering if anyone has seen this reflected?