(Canada 2022) MPP/MPA Applications

4 hours ago, gweapons said:

Hi. Has anyone applied for Feb 1 Deadline for the JSGS, UoR - MPA program? 

Also are the decisions for the U Sask campus out? 

I applied for the JSGS USASK MPA program before February 1st and got my offer on February 25.  I'll likely be declining in favour of Carleton or Waterloo (leaning Carleton).

Edited by LawAndMordor

1 hour ago, LawAndMordor said:

I applied for the JSGS USASK MPA program before February 1st and got my offer on February 25.  I'll likely be declining in favour of Carleton or Waterloo (leaning Carleton).

Congratulations. Carleton is way better. When is Waterloo going to release their decisions, do you have any idea? 

12 hours ago, gweapons said:

Congratulations. Carleton is way better. When is Waterloo going to release their decisions, do you have any idea? 

They contacted me in late February as well. I think others on here indicated their admissions are on a rolling basis. Perhaps you could contact them and see if you can get an update on the status of your application? There are bound to be more decisions soon once students accept/decline offers. Hoping for the best for you during this process! 

2 hours ago, LawAndMordor said:

They contacted me in late February as well. I think others on here indicated their admissions are on a rolling basis. Perhaps you could contact them and see if you can get an update on the status of your application? There are bound to be more decisions soon once students accept/decline offers. Hoping for the best for you during this process! 

Thanks mate. The decision is currently left up to the Dean's Office at the FGSR of UoR. I hope they give it soon. 

Is anyone planning on deferring to next year or reapplying? If reapplying, is it a similar likelihood to get accepted next year if you accepted this year? I'm so grateful to have gotten accepted to all the programs I applied to so far but still waiting on my first choice. Has anyone asked for an extension as well to decide? 

18 minutes ago, readingangel said:

Is anyone planning on deferring to next year or reapplying? If reapplying, is it a similar likelihood to get accepted next year if you accepted this year? I'm so grateful to have gotten accepted to all the programs I applied to so far but still waiting on my first choice. Has anyone asked for an extension as well to decide? 

I wouldn't count on deferring. You'll be subject to next year's competition, and you might not be competitive relative to next year's cohort. Unless of course, your profile is super stellar. 

What are you waiting on?

3 hours ago, readingangel said:

I was in this situation last year! Was accepted to Waterloo MPS but then I got a one year municipal gov contract I’d been waiting to hear on. So I asked Waterloo if I could accept and defer a year. They were understanding, but wouldn’t approve my deferral as it wasn’t medical.

I reapplied this year and got in earlier at Waterloo, and Queen’s as well! So I think you can probably bank on them accepting you a year later, but deferrals are case by case for most programs!

20 hours ago, gweapons said:

Thanks mate. The decision is currently left up to the Dean's Office at the FGSR of UoR. I hope they give it soon. 

Just an update, Johnson Shoyama didn't accept me. I just feel let down. I am an International student and I really wanted to get in their MPA program. This was the only program that I applied for. I don't know what they want. This was the University of Regina campus. 

8 hours ago, gweapons said:

Just an update, Johnson Shoyama didn't accept me. I just feel let down. I am an International student and I really wanted to get in their MPA program. This was the only program that I applied for. I don't know what they want. This was the University of Regina campus. 

I am sorry that you did not get in. I believe Dalhousie is still open - maybe give it a shot?

If all else fails, try again the next cycle but with more back-up options. 

Let us know what your profile is like, maybe we can help give you pointers on where to improve or what admissions might look for.

It's a hard time, but don't beat yourself over it. Chin up, you still got a chance.

Anyone heard back from Munk MPP? My application status shows ‘submitted’ so I’m a bit worried…

Got accepted into Queens MPA, McGill MPP and UBC MPPGA, but still in love with Munk

McGill undergrad, sort of competitive GPA (CGPA3.74/4, final year 3.94) 3 undergrad journal publications, lots internship leadership experiences in consulting firms (tbh has nothing to do with public policy), some volunteer experiences with NGOs 

UofT also requested my high school grades cuz of first year advanced standing…those grades aren’t looking good tho, kinda relaxed myself after receiving undergrad offers…they’re from 3yrs ago, would it matter? 

5 hours ago, OfferPLZ said:

Anyone heard back from Munk MPP? My application status shows ‘submitted’ so I’m a bit worried…

Got accepted into Queens MPA, McGill MPP and UBC MPPGA, but still in love with Munk

McGill undergrad, sort of competitive GPA (CGPA3.74/4, final year 3.94) 3 undergrad journal publications, lots internship leadership experiences in consulting firms (tbh has nothing to do with public policy), some volunteer experiences with NGOs 

UofT also requested my high school grades cuz of first year advanced standing…those grades aren’t looking good tho, kinda relaxed myself after receiving undergrad offers…they’re from 3yrs ago, would it matter? 

I've been to a lot of open virtual houses, and every time someone asks about previous school grades, the common reply is for them to see a pattern or trend. Whether you were always a stellar student or if you weren't so good but improved, those are profiles they like. 

If you were bad in school and bad in undergrad, then that's where the story ends. But if you improved, and your profile looks decent, you'll be fine. 

Munk is pretty competitive though. Why not Queen's? 

Just now, upstart2022 said:

My offer email and letter didn't mention funding or March 15th for funding decisions. Mind saying if today's funding offer was TAships or free $? Also was it a minimum funding offer or final amount? Thanks and congratulations on getting funding!

It is their graduate award, i.e. free money. 

On 3/14/2022 at 2:42 PM, OfferPLZ said:

I am waiting to hear back! They said we should by mid-end March & 2nd round of offers goes out early april! I am in the same boat as you, only applied to 2 schools & first choice is Munk.

When you say 'requested' your high school marks, do you mean that they recommended you to submit then during their open house or personally requested you to email it to them? I opted out from including them because I did a UofT SCS Introductory Economics course last summer & ended up including this mark instead. 

18 hours ago, Joseph_Eze said:

I've been to a lot of open virtual houses, and every time someone asks about previous school grades, the common reply is for them to see a pattern or trend. Whether you were always a stellar student or if you weren't so good but improved, those are profiles they like. 

If you were bad in school and bad in undergrad, then that's where the story ends. But if you improved, and your profile looks decent, you'll be fine. 

Munk is pretty competitive though. Why not Queen's? 

Thank you! I had huge improvements in the final two years (from average student to top 10% dhl), hope these will help

Queen's is a great school but I am looking for better career services to help me build connections in relevant field!