2022 Fall Application: Chat, Share and Support One Another

CinnamonCream

8 minutes ago, Klutch2381 said:

Got my first acceptance. It’s quite the relief. Now, I’m not feeling like I’m going into my interview with an all or nothing game seven energy lingering over me. With that being said, pleaseeeee Michigan. Pleassseeeee. I’ve been trying to go to UM for 11 years. Lol

I'm waiting on UM as well. I'm a little bit freaked out to see their acceptance rate last year was THREE percent.

https://tableau.dsc.umich.edu/t/UM-Public/views/RackhamDoctoralProgramStatistics/ProgramStatistics?:embed=y&:showAppBanner=false&:showShareOptions=true&:display_count=no&:showVizHome=no&FOSDParameter=All+Rackham

1 minute ago, awesome3141 said:

Oh, the odds are not good, but may they be in our favor. *clinks glasses together*

2 minutes ago, southernlatino said:

A paper draft that I developed as an RA, is about the Chilean Social Outburst of 2019. It's based on 18 in-depth interviews. Hope that works! Yours?

That legit sounds awesome. Mine is a research proposal I wrote in grad school about what pandemic/Covid-19 would/will denote for underserved communities with regard to meaning, and juxtaposed it to the polio epidemic of the 50’s. I used data from the census demographic data from years of yore and modernity, the GSS, STATA, archived newspapers, Riesman’s, “The Lonely Crowd” since it’s almost solely devoted to the changing ethos of the 50’s, Reddit (Hermain Cain award), etc. I proposed a phenomenological study. I honestly tried to used every thing I know how to do in via a mixed methodologies approach. I hope they like it. Lol

I know we’ve talked about ranking here, but how much does minor differences in rank matter. Like if you were accepted to a rank 16 and a rank 25 - is that substantial enough that the rank 16 should be your decision? (If you can’t tell I’m struggling)

7 minutes ago, Beeman said:

I know we’ve talked about ranking here, but how much does minor differences in rank matter. Like if you were accepted to a rank 16 and a rank 25 - is that substantial enough that the rank 16 should be your decision? (If you can’t tell I’m struggling)

If you feel comfortable, could you share the names of the two schools you are deciding between, what your area(s) of interest is/are, and what your long term career plans are.

2 hours ago, Beeman said:

What do the recent placements look between the schools? Are they comparable? I’d start there. If so, is there one place you’d prefer to live over the other, or a specific POI you believe that would act as a good mentor? 

58 minutes ago, anxiousbutalive said:

Does anyone know if NYU's acceptances on the scoreboard are from Steinhardt or GSAS? 

Fairly sure its GSAS. I don't think Steinhardt has a pure 'sociology' track, and this is the exact date GSAS released admissions last year.

1 hour ago, asldfk234 said:

0a/0w/1i/7r/6p

I really don't know what to do. Very frustrating.

hey I am similar to your situation, 0 acceptances so far, it's like the sky gonna collapse at the next second, but I hope you will keep your morale high after feeling depressed, still got a few schools to go. (hug)

12 hours ago, Beeman said:

From my recent professional experience as a researcher in prestigious institutions in EU, I'd suggest you choose the program based on:

- Faculty fit

- Presence of other students interested in your topics

- How comfortable/happy you think you'd be if you were to live wherever they are located

I don't think a 9 rank difference will change things much, but having a supportive work environment where you don't feel alone and living a place that offers you exciting activities outside of work surely will. Ultimately, how much you get paid also matters, so I'd look at stipends/living costs thoroughly.

Just my two cents :)