2022 Fall Application: Chat, Share and Support One Another

CinnamonCream

33 minutes ago, the_blue_danube said:

Hey everyone, I saw one post about an interview for the NYU Shanghai track. Has anyone else been contacted for an interview? I have not so I'm worried it's bad news. 

Hey, that was me. Interviewer mentioned some other candidates that they might look at, but tbh that was a few weeks ago and he has supposedly 'submitted his nomination' already. Sorry if that's bad news. However, the NYU side don't interview so you might still be in contention for the main track.

4 hours ago, Blane said:

Hey, that was me. Interviewer mentioned some other candidates that they might look at, but tbh that was a few weeks ago and he has supposedly 'submitted his nomination' already. Sorry if that's bad news. However, the NYU side don't interview so you might still be in contention for the main track.

Ugh it's for sure bad news but at least gives me some closure so thank you for replying! (And thanks for the encouragement about the main track even though I don't have much hope haha)  

10 hours ago, Blane said:

wow that's insanely impressive! I'd love to know more?

what did you change? what's your profile like? where did you get in? Any info would be very helpful for those of us staring down the barrel of another potential trip around the block....

I honestly thought maybe I only had a shot in Top 50 programs. UCD/Toronto/Rutgers/UMD/Iowa/Arizona

right now I’m in a pickle. I don’t want to face book burning crowd, but the trucker convoy crowd isn’t any better…

Just now, Randomhouseplant said:

I honestly thought maybe I only had a shot in Top 50 programs. UCD/Toronto/Rutgers/UMD/Iowa/Arizona

right now I’m in a pickle. I don’t want to face book burning crowd, but the trucker convoy crowd isn’t any better…

I’ve had an additional research experience with strong recommendation letter (this might do it). I used to have 1 very strong letter from my close friend and ex-supervisor and 2 mediocre letters from MEDIOCRE professors (I call them mediocre because they really didn’t try to help me with my struggle). 

My research interest (SOP) also evolved quite a lot, thanks to my PhD friends who only invested in me to be their chauffeur in future road trips.

5 hours ago, Randomhouseplant said:

I’ve had an additional research experience with strong recommendation letter (this might do it). I used to have 1 very strong letter from my close friend and ex-supervisor and 2 mediocre letters from MEDIOCRE professors (I call them mediocre because they really didn’t try to help me with my struggle). 

My research interest (SOP) also evolved quite a lot, thanks to my PhD friends who only invested in me to be their chauffeur in future road trips.

That's great! Those are some wonderful options, coming from a UMD reject! 

Do you think your research SOP just had more relevant detail? Or was it an issue of finding a research topic which more alligned with researchers interests?

42 minutes ago, Blane said:

That's great! Those are some wonderful options, coming from a UMD reject! 

Do you think your research SOP just had more relevant detail? Or was it an issue of finding a research topic which more alligned with researchers interests?

I honestly have no idea right now. I’ve talked to two programs’ admission committees and they have completely different reason behind their decision.

36 minutes ago, Randomhouseplant said:

I honestly have no idea right now. I’ve talked to two programs’ admission committees and they have completely different reason behind their decision.

I had no idea that you could ask for feedback from admission committees. Did you write Graduate department? 

Still waiting for the decision from Maryland. Does anyone know whether UMD has sent out all their acceptance? Should I consider it as a mental rejection since I did not receive anything?

2 hours ago, Meroki said:

Still waiting for the decision from Maryland. Does anyone know whether UMD has sent out all their acceptance? Should I consider it as a mental rejection since I did not receive anything?

they sent out a bunch late jan so i'm crossing them off for sure yeah.

1 hour ago, Blane said:

they sent out a bunch late jan so i'm crossing them off for sure yeah.

i asked them on january 28th when they sent out initial acceptances, and the response i got back was: "The committee is currently reviewing the applications, yours is in the review. Decisions will be going out in the next couple of weeks." however, like arizona, i'm crossing them off my list!

1 hour ago, awesome3141 said:

Well it looks like Harvard is currently doing their infamous acceptance calls. I hope someone here gets one!

Not that I'm worried about getting called by them, but why calls lol.

2 hours ago, wzzzzzz said:

Not that I'm worried about getting called by them, but why calls lol.

Probably because they are an elitist institution and want to set themselves apart from other schools by better dramatizing offers of admission.

That being said, I'm personally hoping they are doing another day of calls (only 1 person posted an acceptance) and that I still have some small chance of getting in.

Does anyone know anything about UCLA? Is anyone still hopeful or should I take no response by now as a rejection? A couple weeks ago they said they would send acceptances as they become available and that they hope to send all decisions by mid-February. Historically, the latest someone has gotten accepted by UCLA (since 2016) was in 2018 on February 13th and that was just one person... UCLA is my top-choice and I'm feeling very anxious:/ How are you all feeling?

1 hour ago, nervoussociologyapplicant said:

Does anyone know anything about UCLA? Is anyone still hopeful or should I take no response by now as a rejection? A couple weeks ago they said they would send acceptances as they become available and that they hope to send all decisions by mid-February. Historically, the latest someone has gotten accepted by UCLA (since 2016) was in 2018 on February 13th and that was just one person... UCLA is my top-choice and I'm feeling very anxious:/ How are you all feeling?

I’ve been wondering the same - UCLA is my top choice, so I’m just trying to stay hopeful :) Wishing the best for us all!! 

7 hours ago, nervoussociologyapplicant said:

Does anyone know anything about UCLA? Is anyone still hopeful or should I take no response by now as a rejection?

I think they are taking longer time than usual this year, and I suspect that they haven't sent out most of the acceptances. I would stay hopeful, even though it is a reach for me.

10 hours ago, Willow585 said:

How come this Thursday is so peaceful?

Yeah. This week has been more peaceful than I had imagined. I saw two acceptances from Columbia but then nothing else. Let's see if Friday unveils itself!

5 minutes ago, Klutch2381 said:

Got my first acceptance. It’s quite the relief. Now, I’m not feeling like I’m going into my interview with an all or nothing game seven energy lingering over me. With that being said, pleaseeeee Michigan. Pleassseeeee. I’ve been trying to go to UM for 11 years. Lol

I'm waiting for UM as well. What are your interests? 

edit: BTW, congrats for your acceptance!!

Edited by southernlatino