2022 Fall Application: Chat, Share and Support One Another

CinnamonCream

25 minutes ago, anxiousbutalive said:

A rejection for me as well, it was a disappointing season. Next year I'll try Europe as well. Good luck to everyone! 

You may still want to try Europe! I've been seeing some positions open up in Amsterdam. Humboldt Sociology also takes in students in two separate intakes each year. But UK applications will only open up in September, I believe. Good luck to you! Hope our paths cross some time!

Hi everyone, I know University of Washington has sent out all the offers. But the portal just show the application has been submitted, I called them last week, they told me they would send out all the result soon, but nothing update yet. Should I wait for the official rejection or just move. 

Hey folks, I've been waiting for UToronto's waitlist result until someone posted their acceptance of waitlist today.

I was deciding between top25 U.S. program, top30 program with half of the faculty sharing similar research interest, and UToronto (immigration purpose).

Now, I want your take on my situation because UToronto is out of the play. If I choose the top program, I will have a hard time finding advisors beyond the 2 ppl on admission committees who recommended me. If I choose the less prestige program, I'm afraid of their terrible placement record (not updated since 2019, and maybe only one of 5 PhD graduate went to a prestige school for postdoc). 

How do I PICK?!

8 hours ago, Randomhouseplant said:

Hey folks, I've been waiting for UToronto's waitlist result until someone posted their acceptance of waitlist today.

I was deciding between top25 U.S. program, top30 program with half of the faculty sharing similar research interest, and UToronto (immigration purpose).

Now, I want your take on my situation because UToronto is out of the play. If I choose the top program, I will have a hard time finding advisors beyond the 2 ppl on admission committees who recommended me. If I choose the less prestige program, I'm afraid of their terrible placement record (not updated since 2019, and maybe only one of 5 PhD graduate went to a prestige school for postdoc). 

How do I PICK?!

I was the person who posted the UToronto acceptance. Let me just say this: don't give up on UofT just yet since the department is conducting admissions on a rolling basis. From my interactions with the DGS it appears to me that they are handling waitlisted applicants on a case-by-case basis. What most likely happened was the person in front of me (presumably in my subfield) rejected his or her offer and hence it is relayed to me. I obviously got lucky but this by no means that other waitlisted applicants are automatically rejected.

Good luck!

7 hours ago, yhs said:

I was the person who posted the UToronto acceptance. Let me just say this: don't give up on UofT just yet since the department is conducting admissions on a rolling basis. From my interactions with the DGS it appears to me that they are handling waitlisted applicants on a case-by-case basis. What most likely happened was the person in front of me (presumably in my subfield) rejected his or her offer and hence it is relayed to me. I obviously got lucky but this by no means that other waitlisted applicants are automatically rejected.

Good luck!

Thanks for replying :) I assume we come from the same country and Canada is probably the most immigrant-friendly atm. Hope I'll be your cohort this year.

For those of you wondering about Johns Hopkins, I emailed the DGS today and just heard back. This is what he said:

"We were impressed with your application, but it is unlikely that we will be able to admit you. We had over 150 applications and only five slots to fill. It is very likely that we will fill those slots with students we have admitted in the first round of admissions."

I think it sounds like an unlikely waitlist, but it's enough for me to wrap up this season. It's been hell of an emotional roller coaster, but at the end of the day I'm grateful that I got not only offers but choices, and I'll be happy going where I decide to commit. Best of luck to y'all still hanging in there!

For those of you waiting for UW, I emailed the DGS today and just heard back. This is what he said:

Unfortunately, I think the chances of a spot opening up for you this year are somewhat slim -- certainly less than 25%.  We have just a few open slots available and have had a very good response from the students to whom we have offered admission.

So, when do students normally make their decisions by? Do they wait until the last minute (4/15), or should most roll in relatively soon? I would hope that if people know they are absolutely not going to attend an university — they decline the offer and soon. I did that last week for a school where the stipend was low, and I knew I was not going to attend because I was accepted elsewhere, and I valued the latter university much more. 

On 3/17/2022 at 8:58 AM, Klutch2381 said:

So, when do students normally make their decisions by? Do they wait until the last minute (4/15), or should most roll in relatively soon? I would hope that if people know they are absolutely not going to attend an university — they decline the offer and soon. I did that last week for a school where the stipend was low, and I knew I was not going to attend because I was accepted elsewhere, and I valued the latter university much more. 

Not my cycle but I noticed no one replied to this.

Personally, I waited until the last minute (okay, more like 2 days before) to accept the offer I wanted because the school was known for throwing a lot of money at people at the last minute to try to get them to go. I did, however, turn down offers I knew I wasn't going to take as soon as I knew I wasn't going so they could offer to people on the waitlist. I didn't tell the school whose offer I was going to accept that I'd turned down other offers, though, or else they'd have no incentive to offer more money. ?