2022 Fall Application: Chat, Share and Support One Another

CinnamonCream

1 hour ago, ebc658 said:

The silence from UCB is killing me. Has anyone heard anything about their timeline? Does silence mean I should be bracing for a rejection?

I really don’t think they’ve released anything yet, but it should be soon (i.e., history). I know someone put a rejection in from them last week or so, but I don’t think that was real. I believe we might see some news later today or even this weekend. Looks like they’ve released decisions before on weekends. Also, they’re a wildcard. They’ve accepted students from all over the spectrum recently, so I’d be optimistic until you receive a rejection. 

10 minutes ago, Klutch2381 said:

I really don’t think they’ve released anything yet, but it should be soon (i.e., history). I know someone put a rejection in from them last week or so, but I don’t think that was real. I believe we might see some news later today or even this weekend. Looks like they’ve released decisions before on weekends. Also, they’re a wildcard. They’ve accepted students from all over the spectrum recently, so I’d be optimistic until you receive a rejection. 

Thanks for making me feel better. And thanks to everyone who's been posting on here. It's a nice distraction when there's chatter.

4 hours ago, Klutch2381 said:

I just got the rejection from UCSB on Jan 19th. So I think it would be good news if you do not hear anything from UCSB. 

56 minutes ago, cbmalv said:

I wish you all the best luck in the world. And to those who got rejected, keep trying because academia is a long run. 

BTW has anyone recieved news from UW-Madison, UMichigan or NYU? 

Nothing from NYU yet. I am also waiting for UC Berkeley, UPenn, CU Boulder and UCSD. I think we will have some news next week.

Hi all. I wonder whether anyone was rejected from Maryland. I noticed that some people put acceptance on the result dash a week ago. Congratulations! So, I did not receive anything from them. No acceptance, no rejection. I think I am just curious did it mean a mental rejection? Will Maryland release other acceptances later?

1 hour ago, Chen2022 said:

Nothing from NYU yet. I am also waiting for UC Berkeley, UPenn, CU Boulder and UCSD. I think we will have some news next week.

2 hours ago, cbmalv said:

I wish you all the best luck in the world. And to those who got rejected, keep trying because academia is a long run. 

Nothing from Madison or Michigan at all. As for NYU, all I know and can say is that they already started reviewing materials and that *perhaps* they started reviewing materials as soon as applicants submitted the applications regardless of the deadline. So, if you submit your applications far earlier than the deadline and haven't received any news, I would regard this as a good sign because it might suggest that you could be in a short list. However, since they haven't sent any rejections, I would wait a bit longer. 

2 hours ago, Chen2022 said:

I just got the rejection from UCSB on Jan 19th. So I think it would be good news if you do not hear anything from UCSB. 

I think you’re referencing Santa Barbara and we’re referencing Cal Berkeley. Sorry about the rejection from UCSB. Have you gotten an acceptance or interview yet? 

In doing my acceptance/rejection-oology — I think Michigan will be the first or second week of February. I believe UW-Madison will be mid February. When I first applied and got rejected by UM, I received it on 2/20; so I’d wager their acceptances will come out before that. Also, Yale interviews will probably be sent out early February. 

Side note: it’s crazy I can be waitlisted by Notre Dame, and not even have receive an offer from my undergrad institution (Florida State) as of yet. I know this: if they don’t accept me they better never ask me for a damn dime when I become a famous academic. Lol. I’m a spiteful man, but seriously. They better not. Lol

Edited by Klutch2381

6 minutes ago, Klutch2381 said:

In doing my acceptance/rejection-oology — I think Michigan will be the first or second week of February. I believe UW-Madison will be mid February. When I first applied and got rejected by UM, I received it on 2/20; so I’d wager their acceptances will come out before that. Also, Yale interviews will probably be sent out early February. 

Side note: it’s crazy I can be waitlisted by Notre Dame, and not even have receive an offer from my undergrad institution (Florida State) as of yet. I know this: if they don’t accept me they better never ask me for a damn dime when I become a famous academic. Lol. I’m a spiteful man, but seriously. They bette not. Lol

LOL I heard that US universities do not like to admit students from the same institution, is this correct? I kinda got this info from some of my professors and admission consultants. It both does and does not make sense in my view, but it does sound a bit weird. It's like the universities reject their own educational outcomes lol.  

28 minutes ago, Fatkiller said:

LOL I heard that US universities do not like to admit students from the same institution, is this correct? I kinda got this info from some of my professors and admission consultants. It both does and does not make sense in my view, but it does sound a bit weird. It's like the universities reject their own educational outcomes lol.  

I’ve heard it before too. I don’t know how legitimate it is, but I’ve definitely heard it referenced before. 

there are some accepted results from Stanford and Penn state.

is there anyone heard anything from these two? 

they said that Stanford admissions were come out without interview. Does it mean that they have finished sending out all the admissions? and for those who does not receive anything, does it mean that they are rejected?

11 hours ago, cbmalv said:

nothing from UW-M and Michigan yet

On 1/22/2022 at 5:07 PM, Beeman said:

I have a little spreadsheet with what schools I applied to and whether they did interviews or plain acceptances. Interviews seem a little more rare in the field than my other field I applied to (Social Psychology). UT Austin and Columbia both don't do interviews historically. Looking through the results panel I estimated that Columbia responses usually come as Acceptances in early February (occasionally mid February, but I have ignored 2020 for a lot of my metrics because departments were struggling) and UTA usually sends out Acceptances in early February or occasionally late January.

Thanks for this! I've been able to find some date ranges based on previous years but the likelihood of a pre-admission interview has been hard to find any clear information on. My impatience and I would prefer no interview so that's a nice answer to get :)

Well, looks like UW-Madison released acceptances and I didn’t get one. I’ll cross them off the list too. Lol. I’m trying not to get disheartened. Just the sheer thought of going through this process a third damn time is giving me the heebie-jeebies. SMDH. Still a lot of schools to hear from, but I legit thought I’d have an acceptance or two by now. 

Edited by Klutch2381

23 minutes ago, Klutch2381 said:

Well, looks like UW-Madison released acceptances and I didn’t get one. I’ll cross them off the list too. Lol. I’m trying not to get disheartened. Just the sheer thought of going through this process a third damn time is giving me the heebie-jeebies. SMDH. Still a lot of schools to hear from, but I legit thought I’d have an acceptance or two by now. 

How do you know UW-Madison released acceptances? If that's the case, well I got rejected aswell. 

36 minutes ago, Klutch2381 said:

how many schools did you applied?

I try to be appreciative because I know there’s someone somewhere that did not have the means to apply to a number of schools; yet, they have a great sociological imagination — and won’t get in anywhere this year. At least, I currently have a “couple” chances. With that being said there’s something about this process that offends my most fundamental sensibilities. Lol. From the GRE to other aspects of the process. Like, how can I bring you the entirety of my life and circumstance, and you’re like, “Naw bruh, but here’s a system generated rejection for your toil that says we hope you can continue your studies elsewhere,”? Moreover, literally everyone I let read my personal statement(s) shed tears. Even one of my professors told me I’m going to be famous after she read it. 

Maybe, I’ll get into one of these “top” schools or whatever, but there’s definitely an element of this process that is rubbish, and I’ll always feel that way. 

Edited by Klutch2381

6 hours ago, wzzzzzz said:

Grad schools must invented Grad Cafe result page so they can push off sending out rejections.

-- Me not hearing back from USC, UT Austin, UCI, CUNY, Stanford or UCLA

no invitation from cuny either. Thought it was a good fit, emailed a professor in November. I take this as an approaching rejection. Upset