2022 Fall Application: Chat, Share and Support One Another

CinnamonCream

On 1/5/2022 at 2:36 PM, ariawithsoc said:

Hi all!

Regarding application updates, UT Austin has started reviewing materials and MIT Sloan (if anyone here has applied too) also started the process right before christmas. But I think they are still in the stage of administrator checking materials like transcripts, degrees etc. Committee has not been involved yet! (Personal guess)

Good luck to you all!!

Oh god, that sent a lump in my throat! At UT has started to review, I was wondering when they would. ?

On 1/15/2022 at 5:32 AM, Klutch2381 said:

Anyone else heard from Rice? I just got invited to interview there next month. 

Congrats with the interview and good luck! I am seeing several interview invites from the result page from Rice and UChicago. I expect there to be more invites from these schools coming in the following weeks now that the long weekend is over.

It can feel anxious to see other people receiving interview invites. I have been, for a last couple of days. If anyone is feeling overwhelmed, friendly reminder that you are welcome to log off this site and give your self a break!

4 hours ago, CinnamonCream said:

Congrats with the interview and good luck! I am seeing several interview invites from the result page from Rice and UChicago. I expect there to be more invites from these schools coming in the following weeks now that the long weekend is over.

It can feel anxious to see other people receiving interview invites. I have been, for a last couple of days. If anyone is feeling overwhelmed, friendly reminder that you are welcome to log off this site and give your self a break!

Thanks! Yeah, I was looking at the results since you mentioned, and I haven’t received anything from Chicago or Rutgers — being someone got an interview from there today. If I don’t hear anything from either school by the end of the week, I’m going to chalk it up as a mental rejection. Good luck to everyone! 

hello! Has anyone heard from UC Irvine? Historically, applicants were notified of some kind of informal interview over MLK weekend and these emails seemed to trickle throughout that week. If UCI is continuing a similar timeline, seems like some should have already heard back / will be notified in the coming days? 

1 hour ago, FuturePhDPls said:

hello! Has anyone heard from UC Irvine? Historically, applicants were notified of some kind of informal interview over MLK weekend and these emails seemed to trickle throughout that week. If UCI is continuing a similar timeline, seems like some should have already heard back / will be notified in the coming days? 

Posted earlier in the thread. The committee met on Friday. It likely takes time after that to get grad school approval for admission (or interviews), and people were on holiday yesterday.

It’s so quiet in here, but I’m really dying to hear back from Michigan, Washington, UCLA, and Yale. UT and UNC are up there too, but we’ll see. I wonder why UCLA is taking so long this year? They appear to be one of the fastest, historically. I was stonewalled and summarily stuff-armed by Ohio State, University of Chicago, and I’m chalking Rutgers up as a rejection too. It’s cool. I’m not the biggest fan of cold weather as a native Floridian, so that’s the ego ploy I’m using to make myself feel better. Out of the four schools I’ve heard back from, I’m at a 25% success rate. I can live with that. 

Please Michigan, pleaseeeeeeee! 

Edited by Klutch2381

Hey there! Has anyone heard back from UC Berkeley's MPH program? Their deadline was 12/1 but I haven't heard anything yet. I just got an acceptance from Emory and I only just applied on 1/6 which was super quick.

I very happy to see an acceptance from Emory, but after checking their priority deadline I noticed some inconsistencies. One page of the program's website said it was the 6th, while the rest said it was the 5th. I technically submitted on the 6th at 1 AM (I was dumb and did not take into account EST).

I'm really hoping the typo on their website will allow me to get some merit aid. Emory is crazy expensive, but it's my top choice. I really hope I didn't screw myself over by submitting ~1 hour late...

1 hour ago, Chen2022 said:

Does anyone hear from UC Berkeley, USC, UW Seattle, or Stanford yet?

I didn’t apply to Stanford. I’d already spent an exorbitant amount on application fees, and I didn’t like my chances of getting in based on the metrics of their accepted applicants. I applied to the rest of your list, though. I haven’t heard anything from Berkeley, USC, or UW. I don’t see anything in the results either, but I expect we’ll hear from UW very soon (possibly this weekend), and CAL and USC next week based on history. Good luck! 

Hi all! Currently waiting on UT Austin, Columbia, Yale, and Northwestern. With UTA and Columbia as the first submission deadlines I am hoping to hear back from them soon. I would love some insight about what schools typically send acceptances/rejections/waitlists without interviews and what schools first request interviews - I have received a lot of mixed messages. Crossing my fingers for us all!

50 minutes ago, carolite33 said:

Hi all! Currently waiting on UT Austin, Columbia, Yale, and Northwestern. With UTA and Columbia as the first submission deadlines I am hoping to hear back from them soon. I would love some insight about what schools typically send acceptances/rejections/waitlists without interviews and what schools first request interviews - I have received a lot of mixed messages. Crossing my fingers for us all!

I have a little spreadsheet with what schools I applied to and whether they did interviews or plain acceptances. Interviews seem a little more rare in the field than my other field I applied to (Social Psychology). UT Austin and Columbia both don't do interviews historically. Looking through the results panel I estimated that Columbia responses usually come as Acceptances in early February (occasionally mid February, but I have ignored 2020 for a lot of my metrics because departments were struggling) and UTA usually sends out Acceptances in early February or occasionally late January.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:59 AM, Klutch2381 said:

I didn’t apply to Stanford. I’d already spent an exorbitant amount on application fees, and I didn’t like my chances of getting in based on the metrics of their accepted applicants. I applied to the rest of your list, though. I haven’t heard anything from Berkeley, USC, or UW. I don’t see anything in the results either, but I expect we’ll hear from UW very soon (possibly this weekend), and CAL and USC next week based on history. Good luck! 

Thank you so much for the reply. I live in the Bay area and interest in migration, masculinity, and marriage in Asia, so Stanford will be goof fit based on its location and focus. I applied 13 sociology programs, and two anthropology programs. Right now, I think I only got one offer from OSU anthropology and rejection from UCSB. I also did not hear back from Rice, I considered it as rejection. For the sociology programs, I applied UCLA, UC Berkeley, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine, USC, Stanford, CU Boulder, UW, Rice, Wustl, UPenn and NYU. 

7 hours ago, shaysoo said:

Hey there! Has anyone heard back from UC Berkeley's MPH program? Their deadline was 12/1 but I haven't heard anything yet. I just got an acceptance from Emory and I only just applied on 1/6 which was super quick.

I very happy to see an acceptance from Emory, but after checking their priority deadline I noticed some inconsistencies. One page of the program's website said it was the 6th, while the rest said it was the 5th. I technically submitted on the 6th at 1 AM (I was dumb and did not take into account EST).

I'm really hoping the typo on their website will allow me to get some merit aid. Emory is crazy expensive, but it's my top choice. I really hope I didn't screw myself over by submitting ~1 hour late...

I applied to their MPH program back in 2016-2017, and I got notification I was accepted near the end of February. Emory was super quick, yes!

As for funding, I hope you have a better chance than I did when I applied. Few people I knew who enrolled in Emory (and Berkeley) received any type of aid and had to work to make ends meet. But I hope with renewed interest in public health and more funding opportunities, they can provide something for you!

If you need some help or wanna chat about the MPH curriculum, I'm always happy to chat :)

2 hours ago, Chen2022 said:

Thank you so much for the reply. I live in the Bay area and interest in migration, masculinity, and marriage in Asia, so Stanford will be goof fit based on its location and focus. I applied 13 sociology programs, and two anthropology programs. Right now, I think I only got one offer from OSU anthropology and rejection from UCSB. I also did not hear back from Rice, I considered it as rejection. For the sociology programs, I applied UCLA, UC Berkeley, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine, USC, Stanford, CU Boulder, UW, Rice, Wustl, UPeen and NYU. 

I like that you’ve applied broadly! I know some people say focus on 5-6 schools, and really try to hone in on what they’re looking for, but I’m convinced it’s intelligent to apply broadly if one has the means, inclination, and time to do so — or isn’t some super candidate (that being said — super candidates get rejected too). I applied to 24 schools. My LOR writers/professors from my sociology MA program encouraged and emboldened me to apply to as many universities as possible. My initial list was 35 schools. I whittled away at the list by removing schools that I didn’t think were a good fit (e.g., MSU), I was certain I was throwing my money away by applying to (e.g., Stanford), I had concerns about their funding (e.g., UNLV), or are in locations I really don’t want to live in (e.g., WVU). The remainder is a combination of prestige, I like their placements, I really like the program, and I think it would be a cool place to live. From your list, I applied to UCLA, UC Berkeley, USC, CU Boulder, UW, and Rice. If money were no object, I would have probably applied to all 35 universities I had with began with back in August. 

For the 2020 cycle I only applied to Rice and Michigan because there was a four year lapse in my undergraduate studies, which was due to a financial aid snafu that took me four years to redress; so I really didn’t have a relationship with my professors anymore, and getting LOR’s was hard. As hard a securing a PS5 is nowadays. Hell, maybe even more so. Thus, I was really limited with regard to how many schools I could apply to by haranguing my LOR writers to act. I only ended up applying to Rice the first time because they recruited me to apply and UM because it’s always been my dream school. I’ll be damned if I end up holding the bag this go ‘round to use a colloquial stock market term, and if I do end up bag holding — it won’t be because I applied to too few schools. Rice was the first school to reject me in 2020, and they were the first school to respond and responded positively this time, so it’s come full circle.

I’m not a super candidate. I don’t have an incredibly strong GRE score (it’s okay. My quant score is low), pristine undergraduate GPA, publications, research assistantship, etc. What I do have is a highly compelling life story and sociology relates to my personal development and growth in a big way, a lot of perseverance, strong writing samples, and some interesting sociological theories. 

In turn, I’ve tried to focus on those things which I do possess this time around. This is a weird process, because it’s highly competitive but it’s not akin to a sport or something. I can’t play defense on any of you nor stop any of you from scoring. However, even if I could — is that the kind of person I want to be? No. I have to think there’s a place for all of us big dreaming and overly ambitious people! Here’s good luck to you and to you getting into some of your top choices! 

Edited by Klutch2381

25 minutes ago, Klutch2381 said:

I like that you’ve applied broadly! I know some people say focus on 5-6 schools, and really try to hone in on what they’re looking for, but I’m convinced it’s intelligent to apply broadly if one has the means, inclination, and time to do so — or isn’t some super candidate (that being said — super candidates get rejected too). I applied to 24 schools.

Im super curious which schools you applied to if you don’t mind sharing! I applied to 14 and that was enough to get people shocked by the number. 

7 hours ago, Klutch2381 said:

I like that you’ve applied broadly! I know some people say focus on 5-6 schools, and really try to hone in on what they’re looking for, but I’m convinced it’s intelligent to apply broadly if one has the means, inclination, and time to do so — or isn’t some super candidate (that being said — super candidates get rejected too). I applied to 24 schools. My LOR writers/professors from my sociology MA program encouraged and emboldened me to apply to as many universities as possible. My initial list was 35 schools. I whittled away at the list by removing schools that I didn’t think were a good fit (e.g., MSU), I was certain I was throwing my money away by applying to (e.g., Stanford), I had concerns about their funding (e.g., UNLV), or are in locations I really don’t want to live in (e.g., WVU). The remainder is a combination of prestige, I like their placements, I really like the program, and I think it would be a cool place to live. From your list, I applied to UCLA, UC Berkeley, USC, CU Boulder, UW, and Rice. If money were no object, I would have probably applied to all 35 universities I had with began with back in August. 

For the 2020 cycle I only applied to Rice and Michigan because there was a four year lapse in my undergraduate studies, which was due to a financial aid snafu that took me four years to redress; so I really didn’t have a relationship with my professors anymore, and getting LOR’s was hard. As hard a securing a PS5 is nowadays. Hell, maybe even more so. Thus, I was really limited with regard to how many schools I could apply to by haranguing my LOR writers to act. I only ended up applying to Rice the first time because they recruited me to apply and UM because it’s always been my dream school. I’ll be damned if I end up holding the bag this go ‘round to use a colloquial stock market term, and if I do end up bag holding — it won’t be because I applied to too few schools. Rice was the first school to reject me in 2020, and they were the first school to respond and responded positively this time, so it’s come full circle.

I’m not a super candidate. I don’t have an incredibly strong GRE score (it’s okay. My quant score is low), pristine undergraduate GPA, publications, research assistantship, etc. What I do have is a highly compelling life story and sociology relates to my personal development and growth in a big way, a lot of perseverance, strong writing samples, and some interesting sociological theories. 

In turn, I’ve tried to focus on those things which I do possess this time around. This is a weird process, because it’s highly competitive but it’s not akin to a sport or something. I can’t play defense on any of you nor stop any of you from scoring. However, even if I could — is that the kind of person I want to be? No. I have to think there’s a place for all of us big dreaming and overly ambitious people! Here’s good luck to you and to you getting into some of your top choices! 

It would be the third time I applied to the phd programs. In 2018, I graduated from UT Austin and applied 15 sociology phd programs, and 3 master programs. I only got two master offers, and I spent two years at Duke for the master degree. For the 2021 cycle, I applied 10 anthropology programs and only got one interview. So I spend past year as reporter in the Bay. For this cycle, I have got the offer from OSU anthropology, but I still want to know whether or not I can still be accepted by some of the sociology phd programs, since my research is more ethnography approach. For this cycle, I only cares about the fit and the location, because I really want to participate with the local Asian community, where I can develop my research and have the support.

My GPA is below average, even I got my degree with honor by research work . and I do not have strong GRE score (my quant score is high but my verbal score is only 152). I have conducted independent fieldwork in rural Asia from 2019 to 2020, and several independent research and journalist work in US. As first generation high school, college student and migrant ( as internal migrant at my home country and in the US), I think the pathway to the Phd program is very hard. I think I would not be a strong candidate, if the programs have some GPA or GRE threshold. I think we are people with passion and want to understand and change the big structure. I hope we will find the way to get into the academia and change it. 

On 1/22/2022 at 1:33 PM, Beeman said:

Im super curious which schools you applied to if you don’t mind sharing! I applied to 14 and that was enough to get people shocked by the number. 

FSU (undergrad Alma mater), Rice, UCLA, UT at Austin, USC, Colorado Boulder, Emory, UNC, U Mich, Kansas (they recruited me), Rutgers (thought I’d be a good fit for their program, but appears to be a decline), Ohio State (one of my LOR/professors Alma Mater… rejected), University of Chicago (rejected), Northwestern, U of Wisconsin, CAL Berkeley, Johns Hopkins, UVA, Penn State, Cornell, Notre Dame, UWashington (Seattle), Yale (joint PhD with sociology and African American studies), UPenn (joint sociology PhD with Africana Studies) and LSU. My research interests broadly are social inequality, race, and social stratification, so I mostly applied to schools heavily entrenched in those areas. 

My situation is a bit different because my girlfriend is completing her medical residency currently, and I intend to marry her. She’s probably going to complete a fellowship somewhere after she’s done, and we need to know what the logistics are going to look like. The first step in that process is I have to get in somewhere for this fall, so I’m a bit pressed for time. We’re both 30 something, so time is a thing too. The pressure is real (lol), but I legitimately couldn’t have done it with without her. I received fee waivers from ND, Wisconsin, and Northwestern. Also, my professors are EXTREMELY supportive. They may want me to get in almost as badly as I do. Particularly, the director of my MA program. Having them this time around to look at things, run things by, etc., has been a huge boon to my chances, I believe. I didn’t even know my C.V. was bad the first time I applied, because I was the only one that looked at it, for example.