2022 Fall Application: Chat, Share and Support One Another

CinnamonCream

40 minutes ago, CinnamonCream said:

Are you on Reddit? Lol. I think there's been some interview invites and final decisions for the sciences and engineering programs. But in general PhD programs in the humanities and social sciences would get back to us in late January, February, or March. 

If by status updates you mean completeness check--then I received a few notice from the graduate schools or departments stating that my application is complete and ready for review.

@CinnamonCream - which threads in reddit? Would love to find a community there

1 hour ago, CinnamonCream said:

Are you on Reddit? Lol. I think there's been some interview invites and final decisions for the sciences and engineering programs. But in general PhD programs in the humanities and social sciences would get back to us in late January, February, or March. 

If by status updates you mean completeness check--then I received a few notice from the graduate schools or departments stating that my application is complete and ready for review.

I saw a lot of updates, in terms of interview invites, waitlists, rejections, etc! :) It was unnerving to see many of the schools I applied to, but different departments/programs, start sending interview invites or even rejections. Good to know most will start  in Jan! Thank you for also sharing the reddit link!! 

1 hour ago, FuturePhDPls said:

I saw a lot of updates, in terms of interview invites, waitlists, rejections, etc! :) It was unnerving to see many of the schools I applied to, but different departments/programs, start sending interview invites or even rejections. Good to know most will start  in Jan! Thank you for also sharing the reddit link!! 

Based on last year - January at the EARLIEST. I didn't get most responses until late February (applied to all sociology programs)

9 hours ago, FuturePhDPls said:

Hi all! Hope everyone is doing well! :) Has anyone heard back from any schools yet? I've seen a huge influx of status updates for many schools, albeit different departments, and was curious to see if any Soc applicants have heard anything! :)

Most of those results are for engineer/science subjects, so I think they have a different style of admissions? Believe it or not, some of the programs I've applied haven't started reviewing my applications ?... not saying which uni, but I submitted all my applications on Nov 28th, and the application status of the uni is still "application complete" rather than "under review", even though there is a status called "under review" lol. It might be that most sociologists at unis need to read LOTS of essays as final exams, so they won't start in December. I'm expecting them to review my application in early January, and let's see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Just an update: I received emails from Indiana Bloomington, McMaster, and NYU saying that they already started reviewing materials. Also, I sent an inquiry message to McGill, and the admission office said they would start reviewing the materials soon (if not already started). If you've applied to these programs, good luck! 

Also, some programs where I applied allow/encourage (for example, Columbia and University of Iowa) applicants to update their transcripts when the grades in the fall semester are available. I think my fall grades can help so I updated mine. You can check your application portal(s) to see whether you should/need to/want to do that. 

Btw, the link below is an article that I find helpful to do some mental preparation in advance. I hope it helps to you as well! 

https://s-michael-gaddis.medium.com/a-reflection-on-rejection-c57b8806b463

Again, fingers crossed for all! 

Edited by Fatkiller
Add resources

11 hours ago, Fatkiller said:

I received emails from Indiana Bloomington, McMaster, and NYU saying that they already started reviewing materials.

Thanks @Fatkiller for the update.

My email from Indiana Bloomington says the admissions committee have received the material and will meet in mid to late Jan to select the new cohort. 

Your report of NYU sent me to a bit of panic. I submitted my application on Jan 4 and didn't receive email from them. What kind of email is that--a response to your inquiry, or a generic email that is intended for everyone?

5 hours ago, CinnamonCream said:

Thanks @Fatkiller for the update.

My email from Indiana Bloomington says the admissions committee have received the material and will meet in mid to late Jan to select the new cohort. 

Your report of NYU sent me to a bit of panic. I submitted my application on Jan 4 and didn't receive email from them. What kind of email is that--a response to your inquiry, or a generic email that is intended for everyone?

@CinnamonCream I submitted my application to NYU on Nov 28th, and the admission office contacted me in early December about my materials (one of my transcripts is unofficial). They also said they would review my application as soon as I uploaded the official transcript. So I think the email implies that they start reviewing applications when the application is complete and all materials are ready to be reviewed. 

Hi all!

Regarding application updates, UT Austin has started reviewing materials and MIT Sloan (if anyone here has applied too) also started the process right before christmas. But I think they are still in the stage of administrator checking materials like transcripts, degrees etc. Committee has not been involved yet! (Personal guess)

Good luck to you all!!

I just found this board and have been browsing past application cycle threads. Admittedly, I’m already pretty anxious given the circumstance, and I seemingly get more anxious against all scientific understanding and applicable reasoning, daily. I’m not sure if perusing those threads have acted as an accelerant or a dampener for my anxiousness. Moreover, I originally applied to SOC PhD programs in 2019, and foolishly only applied to two. I was accepted to neither. This time, I’ve retooled as I’m one class away from having my MA in sociology with a strong GPA and I cast a much wider net.  I had a much better understanding of what the process entailed this go ‘round.   It looks like some schools start meting out acceptances as early as next week, correct? *deep gulp*

Anyways, I’ll be here with you guys to cherish our triumphs and wax poetically about our misfortunes. I hope everyone has a splendid application cycle! 

Hi friends!

I haven’t found anyone else on the history forum for this program so I thought I would ask here. Anyone else get an invite for an interview with UPenn history & sociology of science?

4 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

FYI, UCI is discussing grad applications this Friday. Last I heard, they're aiming for a cohort of ~10 (smaller than normal).

oh gosh, that's both exciting and so nerve wracking to hear. Do you know when they're planning to start letting applicants know? I just remembered that monday is MLK day too so I was thinking we'd start hearing back sometime in the second half of next week

23 minutes ago, FuturePhDPls said:

oh gosh, that's both exciting and so nerve wracking to hear. Do you know when they're planning to start letting applicants know? I just remembered that monday is MLK day too so I was thinking we'd start hearing back sometime in the second half of next week

I don't know, unfortunately. It might be end of January depending on whether or not they interview and how long it takes the graduate division to respond.

Based on past application cycles, I think UCLA could potentially mete out some decisions as early as this Friday. I definitely believe we’ll start hearing from some universities next week, and I’m terrified by that prospect. I’ll be in Atlanta for work, and trying not to look at my phone every three seconds. 

Hi everyone! Good morning! :) Has anyone heard back from Rutgers or Purdue yet? I found that these two programs started interviews in mid-Jan last year. So, I am just curious whether they have started this year. Best luck to all :)

12 minutes ago, Meroki said:

Hi everyone! Good morning! :) Has anyone heard back from Rutgers or Purdue yet? I found that these two programs started interviews in mid-Jan last year. So, I am just curious whether they have started this year. Best luck to all :)

Good morning, I applied to Rutgers. I haven’t heard anything from them, yet. My application doesn’t even say “under review” in the portal, but I know that can be deceiving. 

46 minutes ago, Klutch2381 said:

Good morning, I applied to Rutgers. I haven’t heard anything from them, yet. My application doesn’t even say “under review” in the portal, but I know that can be deceiving. 

Hi Klutch, thank you for your reply. And yes, you are right. I just asked Rutgers about my application status, and they said "You application is complete in the process of being reviewed. But You will not be able to see that it is in the review process on your end. " So, I guess it is deceiving. Anyway, good luck!

9 hours ago, Klutch2381 said:

@Klutch2381 @Meroki LOL if you saw an earlier post of mine about a uni that did not bother updating application status... However, a piece of possibly good news is that I sent the office an email in early December (after I submitted my application) to ask for some clarification for the materials in case I need to update some. They replied and said I wouldn't need to. So I think they might check all materials in December and will start reviewing in January?

Also, for those who applied to University of British Columbia and McGill, both unis started to review applications in this week. I received emails from UBC and my application portal of McGill shows "under review".

Tbh, I have literally little expectation for this cycle because the pandemic isn't getting any better and I believe international students will be put in a disadvantaged stance in application review due to funding issues. Anyways, good luck everyone!