Applying to PsyD Programs - Do I have to know what I want to specialize in?

gradseeker820

Hi Everyone, 

I am applying to PsyD programs for Fall 2022. I majored in psychology in undergrad and have spent the last few years working (in a different field). My question is, do I have to have a clear idea of what type of therapy I want to specialize in and what theories I subscribe to prior to applying? For example, someone in another forum was talking about being an object relations theorist and how this was influencing their grad school search. I had honestly never even come across this term in my undergraduate study. In the career goals section of my personal statement I mostly focused on the populations I want to work with and certain areas I am interested in (like topics within health psychology). I was hoping to get some exposure to a broad range of modalities through graduate coursework and internships, and then use that to develop a specialization. But now I am worried that I should already know this and that I will seem like a wishy-washy/uninformed candidate. Are you usually asked to explain your allegiance to a certain technique during interviews? Can anyone help with this?

I don't think so. Depending on the program, it can be a plus to express interests in evidence-based approaches, e.g., CBT/DBT/ACT. It may help if you can figure out the practicum opportunities and what are predominantly used in these available practicums or by the practicum supervisors (for example, if you say you want exposure to everything but the program only does CBT, then they may (mis)perceive you as a bad fit since they don't have the training opportunities that would meet your needs.)

In applying to graduate school, I think it would be unreasonable to demand applicants know all the potential theoretical orientations or treatment modalities (TBH, I am not sure I feel confident about all this as an internship applicant). If they do ask about it, you can always just give some prepared answers... CBT would be a safe bet. In no ways are you bound by your answers throughout graduate school or throughout your career... 

P.s. this is my first time hearing of "object reaction theorist"...

As @VentureIntoNothingnesssaid above, you should have a general idea of the types of theoretical orientation you are interested in (some programs are more CBT and DBT/ACT focused, while others may be more psychodynamic focused). Objects-relations is a specific type of psychodynamic, and I honestly can't imagine a whole of people really ascribe to it as their primary theoretical orientation in day to day treatment. You should have a general idea of what you want to do (being a therapist is a brand statement), as this will help inform your program selection. However, you are not bound by what you enter in with. I intended on working with PTSD and trauma and am now doing pursuing an entirely different specialization. 

FWIW, a usable summary of object relations theory can be found in Freud and Beyond . Object Relations in Psychoanalytic Theory goes into greater detail. 

51 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Objects-relations is a specific type of psychodynamic, and I honestly can't imagine a whole of people really ascribe to it as their primary theoretical orientation in day to day treatment.

I did a field in psychohistory/psychoanalytic theory. I was taught by a psychoanalyst who was a training analyst. From a historical standpoint, one can understand why it happens to this day. But, as a layperson, I share your concern. As the saying goes, when all one has is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.