MSSM Biomedical Sciences PhD program

Bioenglover

• 4 weeks later...

Mount Sinai? The immunology group is led by Miriam Merad who is one of the most important people in science right now. I don't if it's considered prestigious or whatever, but it would be an incredible place to do a PhD. Lot's of top notch research coming from Mount Sinai. Merad is an MD/PhD that has said her purpose as a scientist is to alleviate suffering.   

Hey. I got waitlisted after interview by Mount Sinai Immunology MTA last round but did not get admissions eventually. 
I have no US citizenship/no green card, and I am an Asian male with no US/European degrees.
I am now working as a postdoc at another US top school. 

I would say it depends on what your interest is, but to me Mt Sinai Immunology is undoubtedly one top PhD Immunology program for people interested in Immunology, and especially human immunology and translational applications of immunology.

The faculties were very friendly. Most PhD students expressed positive experiences about their studies, and they said their mentors really cared about students' personal development . The outcomes of their Immunology graduates are quite diverse: industries, academia, or even having a startup with their PhD advisors. The best things about research at Mt Sinai Immunology are: clinical sample access, flexibility, and supportive members. The graduates also get their own credits: most graduate with around 2 first-authored in nice journals (eg, Journal of Experimental Medicine, Nature Communications, PNAS, JI).

Now the field of immunology is simply crazy and extremely competitive because of cancer immunotherapy and COVID, so it is tougher and tougher to get in a top Immunology PhD program in the US.

One thing that I really like Mt Sinai Immunology is that they value diversity a lot: faculties and students from diverse cultural backgrounds and from all over the world (US, European, African, Asian countries.) 

Invitations are usually sent during the first 2 weeks in January. Good luck.

6 hours ago, Henry13579 said:

Hey. I got waitlisted after interview by Mount Sinai Immunology MTA last round but did not get admissions eventually. 
I have no US citizenship/no green card, and I am an Asian male with no US/European degrees.
I am now working as a postdoc at another US top school. 

I would say it depends on what your interest is, but to me Mt Sinai Immunology is undoubtedly one top PhD Immunology program for people interested in Immunology, and especially human immunology and translational applications of immunology.

The faculties were very friendly. Most PhD students expressed positive experiences about their studies, and they said their mentors really cared about students' personal development . The outcomes of their Immunology graduates are quite diverse: industries, academia, or even having a startup with their PhD advisors. The best things about research at Mt Sinai Immunology are: clinical sample access, flexibility, and supportive members. The graduates also get their own credits: most graduate with around 2 first-authored in nice journals (eg, Journal of Experimental Medicine, Nature Communications, PNAS, JI).

Now the field of immunology is simply crazy and extremely competitive because of cancer immunotherapy and COVID, so it is tougher and tougher to get in a top Immunology PhD program in the US.

One thing that I really like Mt Sinai Immunology is that they value diversity a lot: faculties and students from diverse cultural backgrounds and from all over the world (US, European, African, Asian countries.) 

Invitations are usually sent during the first 2 weeks in January. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I am counting the days till January ?hope I'll hear from them soon