2022 Chemistry Admissions Cycle Thread

VashtaNerada

Hi Everyone! I received an acceptance email from UW-Madison (my #2 school) earlier this week and now I am anxiously waiting to hear something from Duke!! Does anyone have any idea when Duke starts to send out letters?

Undergrad Institution: Liberal arts, 4 yr
Major(s): B.S. Chemistry
Minor(s): Mathematics
GPA in Major: 3.96
Overall GPA: 3.96
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Score: N/A

Research Experience: 2 semesters of research with 1 conference presentation and a paper submitted to j. chem. phys.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: ACS Undergraduate Award in Physical Chemistry, Chancellor's List

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 10 years experience as a Plant manager - food manufacturing, Army vet.

Applying to Where:

Duke, UW-Madison, Va-Tech, Florida, Princeton, and Cornell

Good luck everyone! This waiting is awful!

Undergrad Institution: State public uni (2yrs) and community college (3 yrs)
Major(s): B.S. Chemistry
Minor(s): n/a
Overall GPA: 3.56

GRE Score: n/a

Research Experience: 3 semesters and presented at 2 conferences 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans list for 2 semesters and two awards from state representatives for research

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Student worker in chem lab for a year

Applying to Where: 

University of California Irvine

University of California San Diego

University of California Riverside

University of Southern California 

Note:

I received an acceptance email from my top PI at UCI, no official acceptance from the university yet!

Undergrad Institution: Ivy-League School (4 yr)
Major(s): B.S. Chemistry, M.S. Chemistry, B.A. Political Science
Overall GPA: 3.90

Research Experience: 3 semesters, 2 summers

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: N/A

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Peer Tutor (3 semesters), Chemistry Mentor (ongoing)

Applying to Where: 

Berkeley

CalTech

MIT

UNC-Chapel Hill: Accepted 12/19!

UW Madison

UMichigan

UPenn

Princeton

On 12/20/2021 at 10:46 AM, optimisticchemguy said:

For anyone who has been accepted to UMich, UW Madison, UWashington, do you mind telling me which subdivision of chem did you applied to?

I was invited to interview at UMich Chemical Biology, UW Madison Biochemistry, and accepted to UWashington Chemistry (chemical biology). Most programs I applied to I either chose chemical biology, biological chemistry, or organic chemistry. 

On 12/14/2021 at 9:44 AM, cowboyeet said:

Hello here are my stats (applying to PhD for Fa22):

Undergrad Institution: small liberal arts, 4 yr
Major(s): Biology (Molecular Bio and Biochem focus)
Minor(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.9
Overall GPA: 3.9
Position in Class: N/A

GRE Score: N/A (did not take)

Research Experience: 3 yrs, one summer in REU-type program, one summer working as a research assistant at my home university 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 3 institutional grants, 4 year merit scholarship, Dean's list, Barry Goldwater Scholar, institutional academic award 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research assistant in university lab, undergraduate research fellow for my university's office of undergraduate research, American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, student leadership advisory council for my university's school of science and technology

Special Bonus Points: honors college, 2 papers in preparation to be published, presentations at 3 national, 1 regional, and 4 local conferences 

Applying to Where (applying to chemical biology, chemistry, and biology programs):

U Michigan (chemical biology)

Georgia Tech (biology and chemistry/biochemistry)

Emory (chemistry)

UW-Madison (chemistry, biochemistry, cell and molecular biology)

UC Berkeley (chemistry)

Scripps (chemical and biological sciences)

U Washington (chemical biology)

UNC (chemistry and BBSP)

UC Irvine (chemistry)

Duke (chemistry) 

Since I am a little late to the party I have already heard back from Michigan and UW-Madison biochemistry and have been invited to interview from both!

accepted to GT chemistry/biochemistry and invited to interview at UNC BBSP

On 12/19/2021 at 4:54 PM, rhenium-bipyridine said:

Undergrad Institution: Ivy-League School (4 yr)
Major(s): B.S. Chemistry, M.S. Chemistry, B.A. Political Science
Overall GPA: 3.90

Research Experience: 3 semesters, 2 summers

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: N/A

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Peer Tutor (3 semesters), Chemistry Mentor (ongoing)

Applying to Where: 

Berkeley

CalTech

MIT

UNC-Chapel Hill: Accepted 12/19!

UW Madison

UMichigan

UPenn

Princeton

Curious, what is your field? Bppy as your username makes me think inorg

Hi, I have received an interview invite from one of the professors I want to work with at UCSD chemistry. They said the admissions committee is interested in my profile and so they want to interview me for further consideration. How promising is this? Should I get my hopes high yet? Also, for those who have already gone through the process, could you share your experience? Like what they are gonna ask or how I should prepare myself. 

1 hour ago, alChemist_07 said:

Hi, I have received an interview invite from one of the professors I want to work with at UCSD chemistry. They said the admissions committee is interested in my profile and so they want to interview me for further consideration. How promising is this? Should I get my hopes high yet? Also, for those who have already gone through the process, could you share your experience? Like what they are gonna ask or how I should prepare myself. 

Should be just to see if you're fluent in English and/or to hear about your research from yourself. I got into UCSD early January in the last cycle and they probably want to talk to you to see that you aren't crazy or something like that.

44 minutes ago, Tryhard5 said:

Should be just to see if you're fluent in English and/or to hear about your research from yourself. I got into UCSD early January in the last cycle and they probably want to talk to you to see that you aren't crazy or something like that.

Thanks for the reply. What exactly do they ask about research? Like which instruments or techniques I have used? Or do they ask technical questions related to the stuff I have done? Also, if it's okay to ask, did you receive your admit confirmation right after the interview?

2 hours ago, alChemist_07 said:

Thanks for the reply. What exactly do they ask about research? Like which instruments or techniques I have used? Or do they ask technical questions related to the stuff I have done? Also, if it's okay to ask, did you receive your admit confirmation right after the interview?

Ah sorry, the way I said it is confusing. I was interviewed by a few schools re: admission and that's how they usually went. For UCSD I was not interviewed but just got an offer through email early January, which is why I think they are having the interview now before they want to send out their 1st wave of offers.

7 hours ago, Tryhard5 said:

Ah sorry, the way I said it is confusing. I was interviewed by a few schools re: admission and that's how they usually went. For UCSD I was not interviewed but just got an offer through email early January, which is why I think they are having the interview now before they want to send out their 1st wave of offers.

Thank you so much for the info

9 minutes ago, VashtaNerada said:

Hi! Computational/Theoretical here, so probably mostly in the same bin, I've heard back from UGa and IA State (as prev. mentioned), and Minnesota Chemical Physics as of today.

Okay awesome! I’m mostly physical or material inorganic based and I have heard back from UT and USC as I previously said… also applied to UNC and Emory along with other schools that others are hearing back from so I am getting anxious!!