2022 Chemistry Admissions Cycle Thread

VashtaNerada

On 1/8/2022 at 11:37 PM, maplelatte said:

I'm in the same boat (only unofficial)–– glad to know they haven't sent official offers at all, I was starting to wonder. 

Received an email from grad admission that an update has been posted to the U Chicago portal but I couldn't find how to access the update after logging into my portal. Are you having the same problem?

Has anyone else received an email from Chicago on the updated application status? I accessed the site but can't seem to find a change, except if memory serves correctly, an "Attention International Admitted students" notice.

I think this is a positive sign, but I'm not certain. Should I give the site more time to be updated fully(?)?

7 minutes ago, MonkeyFan said:

Received an email from grad admission that an update has been posted to the U Chicago portal but I couldn't find how to access the update after logging into my portal. Are you having the same problem?

2 minutes ago, reaction said:

Has anyone else received an email from Chicago on the updated application status? I accessed the site but can't seem to find a change, except if memory serves correctly, an "Attention International Admitted students" notice.

I think this is a positive sign, but I'm not certain. Should I give the site more time to be updated fully(?)?

Yes! I'm having the same issue with the portal. Maybe it gets resolved in the morning?

20 minutes ago, maplelatte said:

Yes! I'm having the same issue with the portal. Maybe it gets resolved in the morning?

Same issues with the portal for me, if anyone is wondering about stipends...because they didn't say anything officially yet I'm not sure (hoping they'll send stipend and visit weekend info soon), but I have a friend that's currently a PhD student there and said the stipend is higher than most places despite Chicago not being too expensive for a major city.

3 minutes ago, chemnerd101 said:

Same issues with the portal for me, if anyone is wondering about stipends...because they didn't say anything officially yet I'm not sure (hoping they'll send stipend and visit weekend info soon), but I have a friend that's currently a PhD student there and said the stipend is higher than most places despite Chicago not being too expensive for a major city.

I believe the two visiting weekends are Feb 3-4 (online) and Feb 23-24 (online or hybrid). Glad I'm not the only one having this issue. 

3 minutes ago, MonkeyFan said:

I believe the two visiting weekends are Feb 3-4 (online) and Feb 23-24 (online or hybrid). Glad I'm not the only one having this issue. 

I talked to a PI last week and he said the department is most likely changing it, possibly to March because of COVID. But even the PIs have no idea when it will actually take place and will find out whenever official acceptances are sent out. I'm concerned because that may conflict with visit weekends at some California schools ?

Edited by chemnerd101

1 minute ago, chemnerd101 said:

I talked to a PI last week and he said the department is most likely changing it, possibly to March because of COVID. But even the PI's have no idea when it will actually take place and will find out whenever official acceptances are sent out. I'm concerned because that may conflict with visit weekends at some California schools ?

Oh that's interesting...not sure if the COVID situation would be better or worse by then...but hopefully a lot better...Hopefully they fix this issue soon so we could access stipends/fellowship information

6 hours ago, alChemist_07 said:

Hi, anyone gone through the MIT chemistry Phd interview process? Got invited to a 15-minute interview this week "to learn more about you" so super stressed. What sort of questions do they ask and how promising is getting an interview invite? Thanks in advance

Congrats on the interview invite! What field did u apply to if you don't mind me asking?

2 hours ago, chemnerd101 said:

Did anyone here have their Caltech interview today? I'm wondering what they actuaslly asked in those 10 minutes. I have mine tomorrow and super nervous

I had mine today (organic)! Really simple questions (this is what I remember):

1. Talk about a time in your research where you had an exciting result/something you were proud of.

2. Talk about a challenging time and what you did.

3/4. Why do you want a PhD and what drives you to get one?

Good luck tomorrow! They were quite nice. They did ask a couple follow up questions regarding my research, but I wasn't being grilled by any means. 

Edited by maplelatte

Just now, MonkeyFan said:

I was starting to think caltech might reject me since I didn't receive an interview invite last week but I just got an invitation for a 10-minute interview. The dates are Jan 13th and Jan 18th. 

Likewise, what area are you?

On 1/10/2022 at 8:39 PM, reaction said:

On 1/10/2022 at 8:43 PM, maplelatte said:

On 1/10/2022 at 9:07 PM, chemnerd101 said:

The portal issue had been resolved btw. Really competitive stipend in my opinion.