2022 Chemistry Admissions Cycle Thread

VashtaNerada

3 hours ago, chemnerd101 said:

I didn't apply to UCSD or UCLA but I heard back from a faculty member at Berkeley about a week and a half ago. I was reading some old admissions forums and some people received their official acceptances without being contacted by a professor. They haven't sent official acceptances yet so there is still hope if you haven't heard from them yet!

Also to those wondering about Caltech organic, my interviewer mentioned more interviews are going on early next week, and these interviews were not listed on the initial schedule, which makes me think they are not done sending out interviews to prospectives.

Thanks for sharing about caltech, now I'm being hopeful again haha. Has anybody else heard the same thing?

2 hours ago, jtn_11 said:

I got a letter of admission from Penn State! I also got an interview at Dartmouth on the 29th in person.

Hey are you an international student or from the States? I had an interview at penn state two days ago but haven't heard from them since. Would you plz share the timeline?

Just now, ABis said:

Hey are you an international student or from the States? I had an interview at penn state two days ago but haven't heard from them since. Would you plz share the timeline?

I am from the States and it took like a month for the notification.

6 minutes ago, jtn_11 said:

For sure I do not know much about Penn State is it a good program to you?

Yes it definitely is one of my top choices coz I have many groups of interest there. I'll definitely go there if I get an offer. 

On 1/11/2022 at 7:31 PM, maplelatte said:

I had mine today (organic)! Really simple questions (this is what I remember):

1. Talk about a time in your research where you had an exciting result/something you were proud of.

2. Talk about a challenging time and what you did.

3/4. Why do you want a PhD and what drives you to get one?

Good luck tomorrow! They were quite nice. They did ask a couple follow up questions regarding my research, but I wasn't being grilled by any means. 

Had my caltech interview today (chem bio) and they also asked me these exact questions with a few follow up regrading my research. 

8 minutes ago, chemnerd101 said:

Did they rush through any of the Caltech interviews (organic)? They rushed through mine and I'm scared thats a bad sign lol, they barely asked any follow up questions so I'm concerned

Lmao I had no follow up questions either. God I talked too much about my projects and probably too fast. Same questions as above tho (inorg).

edit: I'm still mentally melting, I need to tell someone that

Edited by Saisei

1 minute ago, Saisei said:

Lmao I had no follow up questions either. God I talked too much about my projects and probably too fast. Same questions as above tho (inorg).

HAHA I I think I had the same problem. Talked so fast I forgot to mention some of the best parts of my undergrad experience and research?

12 minutes ago, chemnerd101 said:

Did they rush through any of the Caltech interviews (organic)? They rushed through mine and I'm scared thats a bad sign lol, they barely asked any follow up questions so I'm concerned

ChemBio, but they maybe asked one follow up question. Pretty clear that they had 4 questions they were determined to ask within the time period. 

32 minutes ago, maplelatte said:

Some hard follow-up questions regarding research! I might be overthinking it, but it was a bit more stressful than my last interview. 

Oh jeez… i really hope you get in! And i haven’t even heard back yet, did you interview for organic?

1 hour ago, maplelatte said:

Some hard follow-up questions regarding research! I might be overthinking it, but it was a bit more stressful than my last interview. 

Elaborate on hard lol please I beg you. Mine is in the next few days, I hope they don't ask me to rattle off boiling points or draw an MO diagram.

31 minutes ago, Saisei said:

Elaborate on hard lol please I beg you. Mine is in the next few days, I hope they don't ask me to rattle off boiling points or draw an MO diagram.

Compared to the other interviews, they just went more in depth and asked what I guess I would call "more technical" questions about the science behind it. 

On 1/2/2022 at 8:58 PM, rubysaerosol said:

I was accepted to CU Boulder and UC Irvine for analytical/atmospheric chemistry! Does anyone have any insight into how these two programs compare? 

I was also accepted into these two programs/divisions! They are two of my top choices I am nervous about making a decision but I am looking forward to the open houses