2022 Chemistry Admissions Cycle Thread

VashtaNerada

3 minutes ago, MonkeyFan said:

The portal issue had been resolved btw. Really competitive stipend in my opinion. 

Yeah, just saw; and agree. Stipend is definitely more than any other offer I've gotten, especially considering great location and relatively lower cost of living for a major city. 

I wasn't super serious about UChicago till I saw the 37K. I didn't think making a decision would be this tough lol

5 minutes ago, maplelatte said:

Yeah, just saw; and agree. Stipend is definitely more than any other offer I've gotten, especially considering great location and relatively lower cost of living for a major city. 

Unrelated, but has MIT sent out interviews for organic already?

2 hours ago, maplelatte said:

I had mine today (organic)! Really simple questions (this is what I remember):

1. Talk about a time in your research where you had an exciting result/something you were proud of.

2. Talk about a challenging time and what you did.

3/4. Why do you want a PhD and what drives you to get one?

Good luck tomorrow! They were quite nice. They did ask a couple follow up questions regarding my research, but I wasn't being grilled by any means. 

This is super helpful, thank you!! Glad to hear your interview went well!

3 minutes ago, chemnerd101 said:

I wasn't super serious about UChicago till I saw the 37K. I didn't think making a decision would be this tough lol

Unrelated, but has MIT sent out interviews for organic already?

I got an interview last night, but maybe they'll do it in two groups?

7 hours ago, spheniscidae21 said:

Yeah, I was gonna say the same. 37K isn’t really that high lol

Isn't the stipend 34k? Unless you are also counting the 3k entrance scholarship.

1 hour ago, VenomMan35 said:

Have many people in organic heard back from UCSD, UC Berkeley, or UCLA? I’m beginning to get worried

Didn't apply to UCSD, haven't heard back from Berkeley (though I'm pretty sure others in organic have), and I heard from UCLA pretty soon after the deadline, like ~2 weeks. 

9 minutes ago, spheniscidae21 said:

I heard back from SD and LA but not Berkeley. I’m in organic. Did you apply to UCI as well?

Oh dear, how long ago did you (and poster above if they see it but I don’t want to quote both) apply to both of those? And I did not, just those UC schools

2 hours ago, VenomMan35 said:

Have many people in organic heard back from UCSD, UC Berkeley, or UCLA? I’m beginning to get worried

I didn't apply to UCSD or UCLA but I heard back from a faculty member at Berkeley about a week and a half ago. I was reading some old admissions forums and some people received their official acceptances without being contacted by a professor. They haven't sent official acceptances yet so there is still hope if you haven't heard from them yet!

Also to those wondering about Caltech organic, my interviewer mentioned more interviews are going on early next week, and these interviews were not listed on the initial schedule, which makes me think they are not done sending out interviews to prospectives.

Edited by chemnerd101

1 minute ago, VenomMan35 said:

Oh dear, how long ago did you (and poster above if they see it but I don’t want to quote both) apply to both of those? And I did not, just those UC schools

I heard back from both (LA and SD) last friday. I do know someone in organic got accepted into Berkeley last thursday but I did not hear a thing lol. It probably won’t hurt if you email the admissions committee and ask them politely.

1 minute ago, spheniscidae21 said:

I heard back from both (LA and SD) last friday. I do know someone in organic got accepted into Berkeley last thursday but I did not hear a thing lol. It probably won’t hurt if you email the admissions committee and ask them politely.

Hmm.. do you think I should reach out this early or do they send them out at different times? I don’t want to reach out this early and bother the admissions committee. Based off last years data looks like they don’t seem to come out at the same time. Also the poster above said Berkeley hasn’t sent out anything official to some yet

Just now, VenomMan35 said:

Hmm.. do you think I should reach out this early or do they send them out at different times? I don’t want to reach out this early and bother the admissions committee. Based off last years data looks like they don’t seem to come out at the same time. Also the poster above said Berkeley hasn’t sent out anything official to some yet

Yeah I also only got nomination letters from LA and SD but nothing official, but they mentioned in the letters that the official ones will come in the next few weeks. Maybe wait for another week or so and see. Hope you hear something soon!

5 minutes ago, spheniscidae21 said:

Yeah I also only got nomination letters from LA and SD but nothing official, but they mentioned in the letters that the official ones will come in the next few weeks. Maybe wait for another week or so and see. Hope you hear something soon!

I’m not too familiar w this process what are nomination letters?

@VenomMan35 I applied to Berkeley on 11/3 and UCLA on 11/17, but my recommenders didn't get their letters in til much closer to the deadline. Re: nomination letters, I think they're talking about how you can be nominated/recommended for admission by adcom or a prof, but you aren't truly admitted until you get the official acceptance letter. 

23 minutes ago, Anxious_applicant123 said:

Has anyone heard from Harvard chemistry and chemical biology yet? Same goes for Cornell chemistry and chemical biology. I haven’t gotten an email for an interview or anything from either one and was wondering if anyone else has. Thanks!

I haven't heard from both Harvard and Cornell. But I saw some ppl posted acceptance from Cornell a while ago?

1 hour ago, CedricKlaui said:

I haven't heard from both Harvard and Cornell. But I saw some ppl posted acceptance from Cornell a while ago?

Ok, that makes me feel a little better. I remember seeing the Cornell acceptances too. I also remember someone saying they got an interview for Harvard but I could be wrong. Thank you for replying! I appreciate it