2022 Chemistry Admissions Cycle Thread

VashtaNerada

Just now, chemgrad2022 said:

Okay awesome! I’m mostly physical or material inorganic based and I have heard back from UT and USC as I previously said… also applied to UNC and Emory along with other schools that others are hearing back from so I am getting anxious!! 

Omg I feel that soooo hard x.x I'm waiting for just 4 more schools and the offers I've gotten so far have made me unsure of where I'd like to go (in a good way), which I suppose is good but now I don't have a top choice anymore and it's making me anxious!

9 minutes ago, Umpolung said:

Anyone in organic hear back from Caltech, UC Berkeley or MIT? Or have any idea when they generally send out interviews/decisions? I'm so anxious

Per last year's thread and some quick research, I know Caltech sent their interview invites out before Xmas (so probably tomorrow or the 23rd, if they repeat this year), and sent out decisions only to some of those interviewed, about late January.

Edited by VashtaNerada

On 12/14/2021 at 1:41 PM, chemicalbiology said:

Undergrad Institution: HYPSM
Major(s): Molecular Bio
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 3.9
Overall GPA: 3.9
Position in Class:
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Score: N/A

Research Experience: 3 years in HS, 3 years in college, summer at startup with FDA-approved tech

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Multiple university awards, senior thesis award, $1mln grant for lab, project lead

Pertinent Activities/Jobs: ^^

Special Bonus Points: 3 published papers as coauthor, 2 manuscripts, 4 international conference posters, project lead in pre-eminent lab in chembio, FGLI

LORs: 2 PIs (one expected to win Nobel), 2 professors

Applying Where: 

Berkeley (MCB and Chem Bio Program)

MIT (Bioengineering)

Stanford (Chemical and Systems Bio)

UCSF (Chemistry and Chemical Biology)

Harvard (Chemical Bio)

Princeton (Molecular Bio)

Oxford (Chemical Bio)

Got an interview at UCSF last week! 

UCSF Chemistry and Chemical Biology - interview invite Dec 9, email 

Berkeley Molecular and Cell Bio (will apply chem bio track)- call from PI Dec 16 (official invite send in Jan)

Stanford Chemical and Systems Bio - interview invite Dec 21, email 

Princeton Molecular Bio- interview invite Dec 22, call

5 hours ago, aprilrains said:

Got an offer from Yale today but didn't actually get an email (letter/status update was in portal). Anyone else have this happen? Also is anyone willing to share stipend offers? I was given 38k from Yale. 

Congrats! Do you mind sharing which field of chemistry did you apply to?

Undergrad Institution:  university in China, 4 yr, then 3 yr of MS in another university in china
Major(s): Pharmarceutical Engineering/ Medicinal Chemistry
Minor(s): NA
GPA in Major: 3.48
Overall GPA: 3.47

Type of Student: international

GRE Score: not submitted

Research Experience: 3 yr of full time research in grad school,a summer and a semister of part-time research in undergrad school.

1 pub(2nd author) 1 submitting pub(co-1st author)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: just scholarships of our school

LORs:  3 professors (thesis advisor and academic advisor)

Teaching experience: TA for the experiment course of drug synthesis

Applying to Where:

UCLA, USC, UNC chaple hill, SUNY stony brook, UW-Madison, UofArizona( pharmaceutical science)

Haven't received any information/emails from any of them, I have already foreseen my miserable future :(

16 hours ago, Umpolung said:

Slightly curious, has anyone in this thread also applied to the NSF GRFP to fund grad school? It seems as if fewer students applied this year which is unusual.

I applied! How do you know fewer students applied? Or is that just a general feel?

Edited by maplelatte

11 minutes ago, maplelatte said:

I applied! How do you know fewer students applied? Or is that just a general feel?

I read it in a different thread somewhere that I can't find anymore. I think they have a GRFP thread every year which is usually active, but this year not many engaged. For that reason I think the feeling is fewer people applied this cycle (which is a good thing)

4 minutes ago, Umpolung said:

I read it in a different thread somewhere that I can't find anymore. I think they have a GRFP thread every year which is usually active, but this year not many engaged. For that reason I think the feeling is fewer people applied this cycle (which is a good thing)

Ha, I'll totally take a smaller applicant pool. Thanks!

On 12/22/2021 at 8:55 AM, chemicalbiology said:

UCSF Chemistry and Chemical Biology - interview invite Dec 9, email 

Berkeley Molecular and Cell Bio (will apply chem bio track)- call from PI Dec 16 (official invite send in Jan)

Stanford Chemical and Systems Bio - interview invite Dec 21, email 

Princeton Molecular Bio- interview invite Dec 22, call

Why does it seem like the chem bio profs procrastinate less and read their apps before the break.... ;-;

Congrats btw~

On 12/23/2021 at 1:05 AM, aprilrains said:

Got an offer from Yale today but didn't actually get an email (letter/status update was in portal). Anyone else have this happen? Also is anyone willing to share stipend offers? I was given 38k from Yale. 

I also was given 38k from Yale

Undergrad Institution: Ivy
Major(s): BS in Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.4
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Score: N/A

Research Experience: 2 summers (once at my uni, once through SULI), 1 semester (covid has been rough)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: N/A

Applying to Where: (Hoping to do organometallics/inorganics)

Caltech

Michigan

UPenn

Princeton

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Indiana

UNC

1 hour ago, spheniscidae21 said:

Anyone heard from UCI for organic? Also, it seems like Caltech did not send out interview invitations before Christmas this year. Are we expecting to hear something soon?

I was wondering the same question lol. Anyone got interview invitation from Caltech yet?