2022 Chemistry Admissions Cycle Thread

VashtaNerada

9 minutes ago, chemnerd101 said:

I'm not sure how expensive the Bay Area is exactly since I've lived in the midwest my entire life, but is 38k a good stipend considering the cost of living in that area?

You can get by sharing an apartment with 3 people

cannot live in an apartment by yourself- the rents are upwards of 3000 per month for 2 bedroom apartment 

I got into UIUC on Friday which I was honestly a little surprised about. I'm super excited since it's probably my second choice.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:08 AM, VenomMan35 said:

Does anyone know how bad it is to not have any kind of nomination letter/recommendation for admission? Had no prior contacts (reached out via email and got some responses but nothing significant, at LA, SD, UCSB, and Cal) and I’m just worried about acceptance with seeing so many others get nomination letters/contact

It's definitely not necessary, and it can even hurt you if you aren't careful. If a professor recommends you thinking you're guaranteed to work with them but you decide not to, they probably won't be happy. There's a chance they'll end up on your committee since your research area will probably still be similar to theirs, and that won't go well for you haha.

It can be pretty helpful to have someone fighting for you, especially at a reach school or small program, but it's definitely not necessary. I didn't reach out to PIs at any of the schools I've gotten accepted to so far, and I'm sure it's the same for many other people. It's still early on in the cycle, so you don't have a reason to get worried yet.

3 hours ago, gapyearchemist said:

Hi everyone! I wanted to ask if anybody got acceptances from MIT, Columbia, or Northwestern for a PhD in Chemistry yet. I applied for inorganic/materials. Let me know! 

I didn't apply to MIT or Columbia but was admitted to Northwestern on Jan 5 via phone call followed by an official letter a few hours later on the same day. I'm organic/chem bio.

18 hours ago, chemnerd101 said:

Has anyone who had a Caltech interview already heard back yet (organic specifically)? I can't remember if the interviewer said they'll have decisions by the end of this week or next week lol

They said they're getting the committee back together towards the end of this week and that we'd hear shortly after that. So early next week? 

Just now, VenomMan35 said:

Does anyone know if official acceptances for UCSD, UCSB, UCLA, or UC Berkeley have been sent out? I've seen people posting about it but it seems like it's mostly been unofficial PI/Department head contacts.

Definitely official from Berkeley and UCLA, can't tell you about the other two though. 

On 1/16/2022 at 9:02 PM, Scramblase said:

I got into UIUC on Friday which I was honestly a little surprised about. I'm super excited since it's probably my second choice.

It's definitely not necessary, and it can even hurt you if you aren't careful. If a professor recommends you thinking you're guaranteed to work with them but you decide not to, they probably won't be happy. There's a chance they'll end up on your committee since your research area will probably still be similar to theirs, and that won't go well for you haha.

It can be pretty helpful to have someone fighting for you, especially at a reach school or small program, but it's definitely not necessary. I didn't reach out to PIs at any of the schools I've gotten accepted to so far, and I'm sure it's the same for many other people. It's still early on in the cycle, so you don't have a reason to get worried yet.

Where have you gotten accepted so far?

1 minute ago, VenomMan35 said:

congrats! What area of chem? And wow that's early for UCLA, maybe they don't send out all acceptances at once if it was way back then? 

ChemBio/Organic. Yeah I have no idea how this process works. Seems like the schools make it up as they go which is fairly annoying to say the least.