Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

48 minutes ago, sarscov3 said:

lol could you elaborate on this? UCSD seems cool and I'm interviewing with them in Feb. What didn't you like about it? Genuinely curious-- I don't know anyone who has gone there, so I would love info from someone who went there for undergrad, though I assume it might be slightly different from the grad school. 

-

Applied (9): UNC Chapel Hill BBSP, Duke UPGG, UPenn CAMB, Columbia CMBS, Mt. Sinai Biomedical Sciences, Rockefeller, UCSD BMS, UC Berkeley MCB, UWashington MCB

Interviews (6): UNC BBSP (12/4), Duke UPGG (12/8), UPenn CAMB (12/14), UC Berkeley MCB (12/16), UCSD BMS (12/17), Columbia CMBS (12/20)

Rejected: -

Accepted: -

Hi,

UCSD is awesome in terms of reputation and research… but, very low diversity, students are competitive and unfriendly, PIs are inaccessible and expect way to much from students… thus far, this is both grad and undergrad.

undergrad: quarter system, very low teaching  value and tutoring is impossible to find… rich international students succeed while socioeconomically disadvantaged Americans fall behind… research is number 1 and plentiful while teaching and studying is not… 

grad: TAing for courses over quarter system means you TA for 3 classes with new students meaning you grade approximately 120 students over 3 quarters whereas for semester system you have 80 students. The amount of publication is 6 first author papers minimum required for graduation. Should I say more? 

Just now, NBUIC said:

Hi,

UCSD is awesome in terms of reputation and research… but, very low diversity, students are competitive and unfriendly, PIs are inaccessible and expect way to much from students… thus far, this is both grad and undergrad.

undergrad: quarter system, very low teaching  value and tutoring is impossible to find… rich international students succeed while socioeconomically disadvantaged Americans fall behind… research is number 1 and plentiful while teaching and studying is not… 

grad: TAing for courses over quarter system means you TA for 3 classes with new students meaning you grade approximately 120 students over 3 quarters whereas for semester system you have 80 students. The amount of publication is 6 first author papers minimum required for graduation. Should I say more? 

Oh man okay that blows. Thank you so much for the detail and honesty-- I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience there as an undergrad. I didn't really look into their TAing prior to applying and 6 first-author papers is way too many. Thanks for your insight. :( Sucks to hear, but I do appreciate it! 

Recieved a Stanford Bioscience interview invite!!!! I applied to the chemical and systems biology program and recieved an email from the program director. Offical invites come in January.

Side note, I applied for a fee waiver which was accpeted. I also applied to the knight hennessy scholars program, but haven't recieved any update on this. Not sure if these things played any factor.

48 minutes ago, sarscov3 said:

Oh man okay that blows. Thank you so much for the detail and honesty-- I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience there as an undergrad. I didn't really look into their TAing prior to applying and 6 first-author papers is way too many. Thanks for your insight. :( Sucks to hear, but I do appreciate it! 

Please don’t be discouraged. Big schools have their rigorous requirements. Just be hopeful and work hard… make your choice wisely! 

I applied for NYU Vilcek, but I encountered a problem.

When I tried to log into my application account to check my application status yesterday,  it showed that it did not exist.

I tried to reset my password, but it still showed that my account did not exist.

I have sent an e-mail to ask the admission office, and I am waiting for the reply.

(I had submitted my application before the deadline and received an e-mail informing me that I had successfully submitted my application.)

Therefore, I wonder that my account was deleted because they rejected me?

Has anyone heard about this situation?

6 hours ago, Aynur Ziya said:

I applied for NYU Vilcek, but I encountered a problem.

When I tried to log into my application account to check my application status yesterday,  it showed that it did not exist.

I tried to reset my password, but it still showed that my account did not exist.

I have sent an e-mail to ask the admission office, and I am waiting for the reply.

(I had submitted my application before the deadline and received an e-mail informing me that I had successfully submitted my application.)

Therefore, I wonder that my account was deleted because they rejected me?

Has anyone heard about this situation?

@Aynur Ziyai got the same problem like 10 days ago. I think somehow when you registered for application, they always ask for a secondary email and idk why they change your credential with the second one. Try to log in with the secondary one and maybe change the password. It will show up, as weird as it sounds

17 hours ago, Arandavia said:

@tano7567 Duke MGM and UNC BBSP already sent invitations? I applied to both but nothing in my inbox!

I've seen on here that UNC BBSP has been rolling out invites, so I wouldn't rule them out yet. I'm not sure about Duke MGM because it seems like less people on here applied there, but I think most schools are doing it in batches!

Hi everybody! I finally broke down and created an account. Some info about me...

School: University of Arizona, graduating May 22

Majors: Molecular & Cellular Biology and Ecology & Evolutionary Biology

Undergad GPA: 4.0 

GRE: ew, did not take 

Fun Facts: MARC Program, College of Science Student Ambassador, ASEMS-T Program, STEM tutor

Applied: University of Arizona, ABBS; University of Texas at Austin, ILSGP; UT Southwestern, BBS; Ohio State University, BSGP; University of Michigan, PIBS; University of Pennsylvania, CAMB; Brown University, Pathobiology; UCSD, Biomedical Sciences; UC Berkeley, MCB; University of Washington, M3D; and University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus, Cancer Biology 

Interviews: University of Arizona, ABBS; University of Texas at Austin, ILSGP; Ohio State University, BSGP; University of Michigan, PIBS; University of Washington, M3D

Rejected: 

Has anyone heard back from Brown Pathobiology yet? I saw a couple rejections last week on the results page but haven't seen anything regarding interview invitations... ?

Edited by cbiom3d
acronym errors

4 minutes ago, cbiom3d said:

Hi everybody! I finally broke down and created an account. Some info about me...

School: University of Arizona, graduating May 22

Majors: Molecular & Cellular Biology and Ecology & Evolutionary Biology

Undergad GPA: 4.0 

GRE: ew, did not take 

Fun Facts: MARC Program, College of Science Student Ambassador, ASEMS-T Program, STEM tutor

Applied: University of Arizona, ABBS; University of Texas at Austin, ILSGP; UT Southwestern, BBS; Ohio State University, GSGP; University of Michigan, PIBS; University of Pennsylvania, CAMB; Brown University, Pathobiology; UCSD, Biomedical Sciences; UC Berkeley, MCB; University of Washington, M3D; and University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus, Cancer Biology 

Interviews: University of Arizona, ABBS; University of Texas at Austin, ILSGP; Ohio State University, GSGP; University of Michigan, PIBS; University of Washington, M3D

Rejected: 

Has anyone heard back from Brown Pathobiology yet? I saw a couple rejections last week on the results page but haven't seen anything regarding interview invitations... ?

What division of CAMB did you apply to?

Updating my profile with a couple new interviews! Still anxiously awaiting a few programs.

For those that also received an interview with UCSF Tetrad what dates did they offer you? I received Feb. 4 and 25. 

Applied: Vanderbilt IGP, UCSF Tetrad, Yale BBS, University of Chicago Cancer Biology, BCM Genetics and Genomics, Emory, UW Seattle MCB, CU Boulder MCDB, OHSU PBMS

Interview: Vanderbilt IGP, UCSF Tetrad, University of Chicago Cancer Biology, BCM Genetics and Genomics. Emory Cancer Biology, OHSU PBMS

Accepted:

Rejected: Yale BBS MCGD

17 minutes ago, womeninstem22 said:

Updating my profile with a couple new interviews! Still anxiously awaiting a few programs.

For those that also received an interview with UCSF Tetrad what dates did they offer you? I received Feb. 4 and 25. 

Applied: Vanderbilt IGP, UCSF Tetrad, Yale BBS, University of Chicago Cancer Biology, BCM Genetics and Genomics, Emory, UW Seattle MCB, CU Boulder MCDB, OHSU PBMS

Interview: Vanderbilt IGP, UCSF Tetrad, University of Chicago Cancer Biology, BCM Genetics and Genomics. Emory Cancer Biology, OHSU PBMS

Accepted:

Rejected: Yale BBS MCGD

Would you be able to tell me when you got your Vanderbilt and Emory invites? Congrats by the way! 

5 minutes ago, Phaacologywoz said:

Would you be able to tell me when you got your Vanderbilt and Emory invites? Congrats by the way! 

Vandy gave a set invites last week wednesday (15th). The invites from Vandy come in waves - each week a few invites from Dec to Jan