Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

Stuck between Vandy IGP and Boston University PiBS... Boston is a great city for biology but so expensive and hard to find housing, Nashville would be much more affordable... does anyone happen to have advice on what you would pick?

5 hours ago, silly23 said:

Stuck between Vandy IGP and Boston University PiBS... Boston is a great city for biology but so expensive and hard to find housing, Nashville would be much more affordable... does anyone happen to have advice on what you would pick?

Boston housing can be very pricey but it can also be pretty reasonable. If you're okay with having roommates there's a lot of places in the $800-$1000/mo range. BU is located really close to good public transportation (Green Line). If you're looking for a one bedroom/studio in Boston proper, then it's going to run you upwards of $1600/mo.

On 3/27/2022 at 11:48 PM, spideysenses said:

I've narrowed my programs down to Berkeley MCB and MIT Biology. I feel like I prefer the location and faculty at Berkeley, but I would be an idiot to turn down MIT.

Damn, I wish I could get into Berkeley :(

On 3/17/2022 at 11:39 AM, __Wreckingball__ said:

Wanted to submit my results since I haven't visited grad cafe much this year.

2021 Cycle: Unsuccessful, Rejected from UTMB, BU, Columbia, and UCSF.

Only interviewed at UTMB.

2022 Cycle:

Rejected w/out interview: BU, NIH Georgetown GPP, NIH Hopkins GPP.

Interviewed and Accepted: University of Pennsylvania Immunology Graduate Group.

Probable Rejection, no interview or comms: UTMB

You only need one interview to have a shot to get in!

Nice!
UPenn is pretty nice. 

On 3/28/2022 at 2:56 PM, scerevisiae said:

Boston housing can be very pricey but it can also be pretty reasonable. If you're okay with having roommates there's a lot of places in the $800-$1000/mo range. BU is located really close to good public transportation (Green Line). If you're looking for a one bedroom/studio in Boston proper, then it's going to run you upwards of $1600/mo.

I would say it’s about the same price wise in Nashville unless you live further out from downtown. I’ve lived in several apartments in the city and the one bedroom prices only keep going up. You also absolutely need a car in Nashville if that is an extra expense you need to factor in. I don’t know much about the school in Boston, but I do know the science community is large there and you could make connections easier. Vandy is really the only place that does research in middle TN. 

Just wanted to chime in and let everyone know that I have chosen to accept the offer from Washington University in St. Louis (Cancer Bio). I would like to thank everyone for the invaluable information, and experience sharing. I'm certain that we'll meet at some point in the future, either at conferences, or maybe reading a letter of recommendation written by one of you at some point, collaborating on research, or perhaps working together. I'll see you out there. 

Hi, everyone. Does anyone know what it means when the application status change from Application Complete to Under Grad School Review? Does it mean that I would be admitted? I am waitlisted by UMD BISI program after the first interview. After that, I did not get any news from admission committee or profs. I wonder if I have a chance to be admitted.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks! I'm new in this forum and I'm well aware that the application period has already passed for 2022, but I'm interested in applying for PhD in molecular or structural biology for next year. My main research interests are mainly cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET) and its application in in-situ structural biology, especially in emerging enveloped viruses.

I'm currently an international student in China from a relatively decent school. My current GPA is 3.3 and I recently scored 317 (Verbal: 159, Quantitative: 158) + 3.5 (Analytical) in my GRE, I also have a research paper coming soon. Can anybody recommend me some good schools to apply in the States? I know my GPA is kinda low, which is why I wanna know is y'all can recommend me some colleges to apply.

Thanks for your help and God bless!

8 hours ago, Carlos Puebla Cruz said:

Hey folks! I'm new in this forum and I'm well aware that the application period has already passed for 2022, but I'm interested in applying for PhD in molecular or structural biology for next year. My main research interests are mainly cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET) and its application in in-situ structural biology, especially in emerging enveloped viruses.

I'm currently an international student in China from a relatively decent school. My current GPA is 3.3 and I recently scored 317 (Verbal: 159, Quantitative: 158) + 3.5 (Analytical) in my GRE, I also have a research paper coming soon. Can anybody recommend me some good schools to apply in the States? I know my GPA is kinda low, which is why I wanna know is y'all can recommend me some colleges to apply.

Thanks for your help and God bless!

Wisconsin Biophysics has some of the best cryo-EM. Not sure what type of stats you need to apply but its worth a shot. Some usual suspects have good cryo-ET: Stanford, Yale, Columbia, UCLA. Hopkins and Penn each have growing commitments. Berkeley is developing a phase plate which will be huge for cryo-ET. Baylor has Steven Ludke, UT Southwest has Daniela Nicastro. Hope that helps.

Hi guys, I am a 2nd year undergrad from Imperial College London and am planning to apply to Harvard's BPH for 2023 entry. I am expecting to graduate with a 1st class honours. I also expect to graduate with two completed compulsory lab projects, 3 summer internships, 1 dissertation, 2 papers published and 1 placement year (my third year). I saw a lot of candidates here being rejected even with a masters degree, I was wondering if it is worth applying if I am planning to apply right after ug? Don't know if I understood correctly, but it seems to me that as long as your grades are good enough, the AO is not going to care who has higher or lower GPA and they would only focus on your SOP and LORs?

Another question, how do you write a good SOP? Do you get someone else to check your SOP for you?

• 6 months later...