Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

4 hours ago, sdfty said:

Finger crossed for both of us.... I am also do the interview in I3.....do you happen to know someone who got updates in I3?

Hey, I just receive the accept offer from I3, hope you will also hear from the office soon!

Received interview invitation from The Scripps Research Institute CA campus at the end of Jan. They mentioned there are both onsite and virtual interviews. However, on my portal page, it shows 'CA-Remote-Interview' and I thought I have no choice. But today, I attend the virtual interview and there was only around 20 students. It confuses me. Anyone else received CA interview knows how the interview options are assigned? Appreciate.

On 2/23/2022 at 4:18 PM, _epigeneticsstudent said:

Has anyone heard any updates from Stanford Biosciences today for any of the other home areas? I saw three results for Microbiology and Immunology, Biomedical Physics, and Stem Cell Biology on the results thread, but nothing else

++ to this. Please let me know if you know anyone that has heard back from Biomedical Informatics after interviews. I'm really anxious and I don't see anything on the results page for BMI.

On 2/23/2022 at 4:18 PM, _epigeneticsstudent said:

Has anyone heard any updates from Stanford Biosciences today for any of the other home areas? I saw three results for Microbiology and Immunology, Biomedical Physics, and Stem Cell Biology on the results thread, but nothing else

I don't think Biomedical Physics (BMP) is a part of Biosciences. It's a different program outside of the umbrella. Stanford Biosciences has a Biophysics PhD program within its umbrella.

13 hours ago, meowsical said:

++ to this. Please let me know if you know anyone that has heard back from Biomedical Informatics after interviews. I'm really anxious and I don't see anything on the results page for BMI.

It seems like someone from BMI has received an offer. The website says its on rolling basis. I'm just going to wait and see I guess.

7 minutes ago, TheHopefulButAnxiousOne said:

Has anyone heard back from UNC Chapel Hill BBSP after the weekend interview 4th?

They said the result will be released after a week but i haven't heard back, so im quite concerned.

While I was at a recruitment weekend among the other admits at UW-Madison, one of the admits mentioned that she was accepted into UNC-Chapel Hill BBSP under Microbiology and Immunology. I did not apply there. Also, according to the results page, there are a few other acceptances from UNC Chapel Hill BBSP. Which track did you apply for and interview? 

2 hours ago, IamPokemon said:

While I was at a recruitment weekend among the other admits at UW-Madison, one of the admits mentioned that she was accepted into UNC-Chapel Hill BBSP under Microbiology and Immunology. I did not apply there. Also, according to the results page, there are a few other acceptances from UNC Chapel Hill BBSP. Which track did you apply for and interview? 

Hi IamPokemon,

First off, cute name. If I am a Pokemon,I am in dire need for a graduate program to catch me?

I expressed interests in Cell Biology and Pathology and Translational Science. From my understanding, there were 4 interview weeks. It seems to me that the people who received the results were from the previous interview week. I am hoping to hear from anyone in my interview week (last week). Though to be honest, perhaps it is best that I do not know, as it keeps me with a faint hope that I have a chance still.

But yes, thanks for your response. I wish the best to you.

Edited by TheHopefulButAnxiousOne

I just want to add this to the thread. Here are some programs that I know of that can give you additional research experience or just a research intensive job in between application cycles. 

PREP programs- 1 year program intended to better prepare you for admissions into a PhD https://www.nigms.nih.gov/training/PREP/Pages/PartInstPREP.aspx

American public health labs post-bac fellowship (many of the labs are at the cdc) https://www.aphl.org/fellowships/Pages/default.aspx

Bridges to the doctorate- nih funded masters degree (I did one of these!) participating https://www.nigms.nih.gov/maps/Pages/Bridges-to-the-Doctorate-Program-Participating-Institutions.aspx

programs like these also exist at other schools under similar names I know the University of Virginia has one. 

If anyone else knows of similar programs please add them!

Hi Does anyone know about Columbia's MS/PhD track in Biomedical Engineering? I haven't received interview invitation, so I assume it is a rejection for PhD. What about MS? Before in their info session, they said will consider MS if students didn't get PhD.

Should I email to ask? Thanks

3 hours ago, lemongogurt said:

I heard back today from Biophysics, I'm not sure if structural biology the same admissions committee/decision process though 

Thanks for letting me know! Yeah I interviewed with Structural Bio but kinda figured they might be correlated. Prob thinking this is an L but we will see haha. Congrats to you!

Edited by IcsTam

21 hours ago, Cherryblue001 said:

I just want to add this to the thread. Here are some programs that I know of that can give you additional research experience or just a research intensive job in between application cycles. 

PREP programs- 1 year program intended to better prepare you for admissions into a PhD https://www.nigms.nih.gov/training/PREP/Pages/PartInstPREP.aspx

American public health labs post-bac fellowship (many of the labs are at the cdc) https://www.aphl.org/fellowships/Pages/default.aspx

Bridges to the doctorate- nih funded masters degree (I did one of these!) participating https://www.nigms.nih.gov/maps/Pages/Bridges-to-the-Doctorate-Program-Participating-Institutions.aspx

programs like these also exist at other schools under similar names I know the University of Virginia has one. 

If anyone else knows of similar programs please add them!

Congrats on your acceptance to Harvard! I also apply for immuno programs this circle but didn't go very well...Thanks for your valuable info! You are terrific!!

I have decided to accept my offer with the Mayo Clinic for their Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics program, and I am tremendously excited, humbled, and appreciative!

I was waiting on the Stanford Biosciences (CSB). After reaching out, I was told they were interested in me but likely wouldn't have an update on my admission status until mid March. This tells me best case scenario I might get the last spot if multiple people turn it down. 

My deadline to respond to Mayo's offer was today, Feb 28th (two weeks after receiving the offer). I liked this program and did not want to risk losing this opportunity.  Now I get to visit!

So relieved to be done with this process. Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those with offers. I am a true believer in "everything happens for a reason". 

4 hours ago, MediaMonkey said:

I was waiting on the Stanford Biosciences (CSB). After reaching out, I was told they were interested in me but likely wouldn't have an update on my admission status until mid March

Congrats @MediaMonkey on your acceptance at Mayo Clinic, and thanks for the update!

Do you know if admissions decisions have been released for all Stanford Bioscience programs? I'm waiting to hear from Cancer Biology after interviewing. If anyone has any info on this program, please share! Thanks. 

4 hours ago, throwaway_acct_123455 said:

Congrats @MediaMonkey on your acceptance at Mayo Clinic, and thanks for the update!

Do you know if admissions decisions have been released for all Stanford Bioscience programs? I'm waiting to hear from Cancer Biology after interviewing. If anyone has any info on this program, please share! Thanks. 

The committee didn’t meet until Wednesday of last week they said. It’s probably going to be released early this week

19 hours ago, throwaway_acct_123455 said:

Thank you!

I can't say for sure, but if they all admit on a rolling basis, the first round of acceptances are likely released. We were told we would get 5 to 7 days to respond for Stanford CSB so I wouldn't be surprised if they have sent out the second round already. CSB only sends out acceptances based on the spots available. So if 2 out 4 people accept the offer in round one, they will only send out 2 offers in round two. This is how it was explained to me. To complicate things, if people were still doing interviews and asked for an extension on the deadline to respond, I feel like the admissions committee are nice people and would allow some sort of extension. 

In short, I would guess some acceptances have gone out, but not all the spots have been claimed if you have not received a rejection. They only reject the remaining people after the last spots are claimed. So there is definitely still hope!