Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

On 12/24/2021 at 10:42 PM, neurathetical said:

Is this for WUSTL's DBBS-immunology track particularly, or for all other tracks too? I'd mailed the Neuro admissions-coordinator to ask, but haven't received a reply. I'm assuming it's a silent reject at this point. :( 

Also, anyone with a Vanderbilt-IGP interview invite: when did you submit your application? I'm just trying to gauge if the later submissions (Nov 30, lol!) might still be under review...?

Vandy IGP applications that were submitted are still under review! They review applications in the order they were received in small batches. I talked to someone who applied on the due date last cycle and they heard back in late January/early Feb I believe.  

Hi! This may be a dumb question but I was wondering if anyone had advice on what to wear for interviews? I have 2 that are in-person (fingers crossed they stay that way, lol!) and I've never really done anything like this before so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of being over or underdressed... are ballet flats acceptable type shoes or are they not lab appropriate? Is a blazer too dressy? Does anyone have stores they recommend for shopping for this stuff (female)? My lab rn is super casual and all of my presentations have been over zoom so I've never had to worry about this and am afraid of looking out of place in a business casual setting ? Thanks so much!

3 minutes ago, silly23 said:

Hi! This may be a dumb question but I was wondering if anyone had advice on what to wear for interviews? I have 2 that are in-person (fingers crossed they stay that way, lol!) and I've never really done anything like this before so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of being over or underdressed... are ballet flats acceptable type shoes or are they not lab appropriate? Is a blazer too dressy? Does anyone have stores they recommend for shopping for this stuff (female)? My lab rn is super casual and all of my presentations have been over zoom so I've never had to worry about this and am afraid of looking out of place in a business casual setting ? Thanks so much!

I attended an interview in previous cycle. Most people wear casual blazers (either black or plaid) or black/dark color sweaters. I see a lot of ballet flats (not so suitable if it's snowing) and booties. But honestly no one really pay attention to what other people were wearing. No one wears anything flashy and we only pay attention to the conversation. Make sure the hair looks good and girls usually have light makeup. Good luck!

13 hours ago, PatricSpongebob said:

Same! I'm wondering what will be their post interview acceptance rate...

Congratulations! I'm curious about this as well - did they happen to give you specific interview dates? 

22 hours ago, ProteinQueen said:

Vandy IGP applications that were submitted are still under review! They review applications in the order they were received in small batches. I talked to someone who applied on the due date last cycle and they heard back in late January/early Feb I believe.  

That's convincing and upsetting at the same time ?

I have not received any updates on any of my applications. I wonder if they all are silent rejections or just not updated yet? Please help me by offering me kind words and support… or you can just tell me what do you really think. Thank you! 

On 12/29/2021 at 3:56 PM, kjbio2022 said:

Received my official rejection for UWashington MCB, just wanted to update

Hey, did you get an email or a website update? I never heard back from them yet, so I'm expecting a silent rejection... Also, do you mind sharing when you submitted your application?

10 hours ago, NBUIC said:

I have not received any updates on any of my applications. I wonder if they all are silent rejections or just not updated yet? Please help me by offering me kind words and support… or you can just tell me what do you really think. Thank you! 

From what you've posted earlier, I think your background looks really solid. I would suggest just being patient and wait for the results. I am sure that with your background you will definitely end up in one of the schools you have applied to. Just don't get discouraged quite yet. It seems like they are getting more and more applications every year and it might have caused big delays in the review process this year. In addition, we are in the middle of the pandemic! 

To anyone who is still waiting to hear from the schools: you've got it. I am telling you, you are going to hear from your schools in January for sure. Wishing you guys best of luck and happy New Years!

17 hours ago, NBUIC said:

I think your background looks great! Just wait a bit and it will all be fine, I think. 

6 hours ago, Nata20 said:

From what you've posted earlier, I think your background looks really solid. I would suggest just being patient and wait for the results. I am sure that with your background you will definitely end up in one of the schools you have applied to. Just don't get discouraged quite yet. It seems like they are getting more and more applications every year and it might have caused big delays in the review process this year. In addition, we are in the middle of the pandemic! 

To anyone who is still waiting to hear from the schools: you've got it. I am telling you, you are going to hear from your schools in January for sure. Wishing you guys best of luck and happy New Years!

Thank you for your kind words!