Good Programs for Gender History

KinOfKafka

I am currently looking for good Ph.D programs in gender history, or something similar (WGS, gender studies with history focus etc).

Some specifics I am looking for:

-Full-funding with stipend

-open to applicants with only BA (no masters)

-fairly open location wise, but I'm fairly broke- so cheaper average rent would be a plus.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

8 hours ago, KinOfKafka said:

I am currently looking for good Ph.D programs in gender history, or something similar (WGS, gender studies with history focus etc).

-fairly open location wise, but I'm fairly broke- so cheaper average rent would be a plus.

I'll give my usual advice:

1) Don't go anywhere without full funding and an adequate (read: livable) stipend. Taking on debt for a degree with an uncertain at best outcome is not a good idea.

2) The best way to identify programs is to do the following: look at the books that interested you in gender history. Research the author and find where s/he received his PhD and when. Look at the citations and research the authors of frequently cited works. Once you have this information, try to find placement histories of these scholars' PhD students.

Edited by psstein

On 1/5/2022 at 4:44 AM, KinOfKafka said:

You might be better off looking at American studies if you have a US focus, that's where a lot of the gender studies work is happening. Otherwise look at UC programs. Gender studies is really broad and I can give you more helpful advice if you're a bit more specific

• 1 month later...

I'll just plug my own program here for you to take a look (I'm finishing soon) - Penn State has a joint PhD in History and WGSS (or AfAm or Asian Studies). About half of the coursework is in WGSS,  you take comps in both fields, and have two chairs of your diss committee. This allows you to study gender history with a strong feminist theoretical backing. The program only admits students with full funding (about 20k/year for 5 years). I have taught in both departments as a TA and instructor of record. Other programs like this might exist, but I just know about this one. 

For a straight up WGSS PhD, Emory leads the pack.