Would top 15 programs let you complete your Phd remotely?

In a COVID-19 world, I am curious to know how feasible it is to complete a PhD in Politics remotely. For example, let's say you're a Columbia student and you need to live about three hours by train upstate. You only come in when needed and every so often. Rest is done from home. How possible do you think this is at top institutions?

In theory, you could live three hours away and commute, but you would have to do so to attend classes and meet with faculty. It would be onerous, but that would be up to you. I think it would be highly unlikely that top programs would allow you do get out of coming to campus frequently though. I wager that most departments want students in the classroom, in offices, etc. Your PhD shouldn’t be majority online.

No chance until the dissertation phase. They won't let you take classes online (if they're not mandated to be online, which schools are really trying to avoid), and your advisors will think you're not serious about things if you aren't usually there in person. Not to mention you have to teach at almost all programs, if not all. Once your teaching and coursework is done, yeah you could probably get away with it though you should seriously think about whether not being there in person when you could be (aka not away for literal fieldwork) could harm your friendships, reputation, and sense of community. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 8:17 PM, uncle_socks said:

No chance until the dissertation phase. They won't let you take classes online (if they're not mandated to be online, which schools are really trying to avoid), and your advisors will think you're not serious about things if you aren't usually there in person. Not to mention you have to teach at almost all programs, if not all. Once your teaching and coursework is done, yeah you could probably get away with it though you should seriously think about whether not being there in person when you could be (aka not away for literal fieldwork) could harm your friendships, reputation, and sense of community. 

That's basically what I've seen, too. The last year especially people will be more remote if desired. My first year was 100% remote, but that was due to the pandemic. With vaccinations, we're all (tentatively) back in person, so that option is gone.